Sign in to follow this  
azeroth

Recommendations For a Mid Priced Headphones

Hi guys and especially azeroth, I just received a call from Anything Audio that they will be conducting a clearance sale of DT880 at S$299 nett (limited sets only) and DT770 at S$220 nett (3 pairs of consumer versions only). The huge discount of DT880 should swing your dilemma in favour of DT880! In addition, there's also a small discount in DT150 but I'm not allowed to reveal in the forum. Call or visit Anything Audio to enquire if interested. Address: #04-09 Parklane Shopping Mall. Telephone: 6336-0080 (Albert)

-leather headband

-metal earcups

-you don't have to wonder how the highest end in the prestige series sound

Haven't heard the SR225, wanted to buy the SR225 at first, but changed my mind, the SR325i is pretty.  I am a happy camper.

Hi "username", thanks for pointing out the physical differences, but I was actually more interested in the sonic quality differences between the sr225 and the sr325i. In this respect, I am surprised that since you were also considering between the sr225 and the sr325i, you did not even audition the sr225 considering that the difference in pricing can nearly get you a sr80, which is itself not a shabby can by all accounts

The HD414 pads (modded or unmodded) are extra comfy

Great, will consider that

Hi guys and especially azeroth, I just received a call from Anything Audio that they will be conducting a clearance sale of DT880 at S$299 nett (limited sets only)

Hi Mackie, a great thank you to you for this "lobang". I just called up someone by the name of Albert who kindly agreed to reserve one set for me

azeroth:

I KNOW for one thing that I will drool after the SR325i somehow or another no matter how much I tell myself I DON'T NEED another Grado. Happened with my SR60 and MS-1 purchased. So I just went for the highest end I can afford. The RS-2 and RS-1 will not be in my consideration at all in the near future because of their extremely high price.

-happy camper- laugh.gif

reserve.... sleep.gif ....$299 is a runaway price unless you are not aware of the price of a 880. I went down just now to grab one set, and there was another buyer also. The shop had 4(on display) plus 3(hide in the store room) and now it has 5 sets.

Mini Feedback on Beyer DT150

Meanwhile I tried the DT150 laugh.gif as I missed it during the last meet. Listened The Hunter(Jennifier Wearne) and The best of Keiko Lee(Keiko Lee) from the pro-hp amp. Both have vocals of mature ladies, warm and sexy, if your are "mature" enough to know what I mean. tongue.gif. I have their CDs.

I can only say that it's a 'love or hate' cans or 'love and hate' cans, the variations can be broken down as follows: biggrin.gif

1. Love it.

2. Hate it.

3. Love some of it and Hate some of it.

4. Hate it and love some of it.

5. Love it and hate some of it.

I'm variation 4.

It very flat and even and soundstage is sufficiently big and one word, neutrality. So neutral that Jennifier Wearne is emotionlessly reciting out the song and Keiko Lee is coarse and cool when she sang "Imagine". mellow.gif

However, I like the way it replays the accompany instruments music, very clean and precise and I think it would replay percussion/instruments music very well.

Maybe neutrality is also a kind of colored sound also. sleep.gif

And a very important thing to note, the feedback is accordingly to my personal listening preference, YMMV.

Edited by Charismatic

The new Grado SR-325i is more "blanced" IMO then the previous SR-325 (ie without the i) You can tell and i version by the colour (it's sorta light champangne gold). The original SR-325 were black and later were silver. I tell you this because sometimes Grado tends to ommit things like the letter i in their packaging. (I personally have seen 3 version of box packaging for the RS-1).

As to whether the SR-325i is worth the exxtra money only you can tell. Go down to Music By Design on a weekday and try both out with your music. Ie bring some of your CDs.

If you look at username's avatar (pic under his name) it's the new Grado SR-325i.

I personally feel that you'll get better performance with the SR-225 and the Grado RA-1 amp vs SR-325i without an amp.

KNOW for one thing that I will drool after the SR325i somehow or another no matter how much I tell myself I DON'T NEED another Grado. Happened with my SR60 and MS-1 purchased. So I just went for the highest end I can afford

Hi username, how do you find the SR325i then? I was actually looking into the 325i / 225. I auditioned the SR80, 125, 325i at Music By Design. You're right there about the looks - the SR325i is appealing. The 325i had the best clarity and sounded the smoothest but in my opinion it isn't really oodles better in my short listening there. MFD unfortunately did not have a SR225 to audition, so I wasn't able to determine if I should go for the more affordable SR225 or go all out for the SR325i.

In the end, Mackie's "lobang" of $299 for the Beyer DT880 proved too tempting for me to resist. The Beyer also had the advantage of comfort, an extension cable and an option 1/4"/1/8" plug bundled in over the Grado series SR125 and higher

But as Rameish pointed out, the DT880 needs an amp to bring out its full potential. Now, I am wondering which amp should I go for? Would the DIY amps posted in the classifieds such as the DIY RA-1 be good enough? Also, one more question, is the cable on the DT880 detachable - it does not seem to be to me.

Thanks

Cable of DT880 is not detachable. Don't bother with upgrading the cable, concentrate your resources on having a good source and amp. As yet, I've tried Original Master, Xiang Sheng 708A, Cayin HA-1A and Corda HA1 headamps partnered with DT880 with much success.

Beg to differ Mackie, but I do think cable upgrade makes an improvement to the Beyer DT-880. AV98m changed his to mogami cables and it does offer improvements to the body of the music, more full sounding if you like. However since this is not detachable like you correctly point out this becomes a one-way upgrade and also means you would violate any warrenty.

BTW the Beyer cables are better IMO then the supplied Senn cables.

Oh while the DT-880 can be driven with the RA-1 it really requires a more powerful amp. Mackie's choice of amps like the Cayin HA-1A or the Corda HA-1 are good choices. I havnt tried the other amps he mentions for any length of time (the Xiang Shen I have not tried at all). The Cayin/Spark Audio HA-1A costs about S$600 in sg while the current line of corda amps (and prices) can be found at www.meier-audio.de

Jan Meier is a highly reputable designer and treats his customers well. Contact him if interested.

Edited by Rameish

Beg to differ Mackie, but I do think cable upgrade makes an improvement to the Beyer DT-880.

I don't mean to say that no improvement can be reaped from a cable change as I remembered having auditioned adhoc's pair of DT880 which was refurbished with canare cable and noticed sonic improvement. However, the process is painstaking as all joints are hard soldered and not detachable like with Senns HD600/650 etc. That's why I suggested shifting the focus on selecting a capable source and amp in the meantime.

Edited by Mackie

Thanks to Northern Oak pointer, and Mackie's/Rameish's recommendations I have purchases the Meier Audio Corda HA-1 Mk II

I have just tried the headphone amp and I find that the difference bewteen connecting it through the headphone amp vs connecting it unamped via my CD player headphone jacks directly is very negligible - practically no difference. So, it becomes a very expensive volume controller. I hope I have not missed anything

Another problem I have is that I can only drive the headphone amp direct from my CD player. I can't seem to drive it via my pre-amp. Can someone enlighten me in detail the connections from pre-amp to CD player to headphone amp. I tried various connections to no avail

What I need is the ability to be able to switch between playing CDs and output through my normal speakers or headphones without switching connections. Currently if I wish to listen to my CD player via my normal speakers, I connect the RCA to my pre-amp. If I want to listen to headphones amplified by HA-1, I disconnect the RCA from the pre-amp and connect to the HA-1. This is very inconvenient

Thanks

it may not be advisory, but you could get an RCA splitter for the cdp, to output to both your amp and headphone amp

yes you cant drive it through your pre-amp, unless your pre-amp doesnt give much output.. some pre-amps give quite large an output to the power amp, may damage your headphone amp,

alternative, you could try see your pre-amp has a headphone output of some sort, get a 1/4 to rca cable, and power from there, but its not really that required cuz the meier corda itself alone is good enough.. the more things you connect in between input to output.. chances sound will be affected..

which cdp you using?

hmm.. you should let the amp run in together with the headphones, there's a difference! unless.. your cdp uses the same opamp lol

Another problem I have is that I can only drive the headphone amp direct from my CD player. I can't seem to drive it via my pre-amp. Can someone enlighten me in detail the connections from pre-amp to CD player to headphone amp. I tried various connections to no avail

It's very easy dude. I'm sure your pre-amp has "Tape-out" RCA jacks in the back panel? Connect the Corda head amp to these and walla, you need not unplug the interconnects from "CD" and into your headamp while listening to cans. U only need another pair of interconnects to complete the connection.

Regarding your impression on the almost zilch benefit from a head amp driving your cans, the interconnects will play a part in this equation so synergy and quality must be considered.

Edited by Mackie