Sign in to follow this  
azeroth

Recommendations For a Mid Priced Headphones

I have just tried the headphone amp and I find that the difference bewteen connecting it through the headphone amp vs connecting it unamped via my CD player headphone jacks directly is very negligible - practically no difference. So, it becomes a very expensive volume controller. I hope I have not missed anything

Hi there bro,

On lesser sources, there is no big diff. For eg, my CD-67SE. I plugged in my HD650 into both the Melos SHA-1 and Cayin HA-1A, and compared against the CDP's headphone out. Not much diff, probably the HA-1A goes slightly deeper and more extension.

I just modded the CD-67SE with TS Lim, took back and listened. Wah lao, quite a big difference. Transient attack, dynamics both micro n macro, the blackness between notes etc..... all improved.

I have another source which has higher resolution than this (fully mod 963sa), but that one no Headphone Out. mellow.gif

it may not be advisory, but you could get an RCA splitter for the cdp, to output to both your amp and headphone amp

Tried this before with a pair of the high quality RCA gold-plated splitters i got from NDV. Can't hear any difference at all. Now, i could hear a difference from defoaming my HD-650, so no difference really means no difference. headphone.gif

Split to my SHA-1 and HA-1A. But now got additional source liao.

PS. Thanks for Mackie for the heads-up for the DT-770 and 880 price. Got myself a 880 and also recommended an ang moh from headfi who will be heading there tomorrow. He's on transit.

Another problem I have is that I can only drive the headphone amp direct from my CD player. I can't seem to drive it via my pre-amp. Can someone enlighten me in detail the connections from pre-amp to CD player to headphone amp. I tried various connections to no avail

It's very easy dude. I'm sure your pre-amp has "Tape-out" RCA jacks in the back panel? Connect the Corda head amp to these and walla, you need not unplug the interconnects from "CD" and into your headamp while listening to cans. U only need another pair of interconnects to complete the connection.

Regarding your impression on the almost zilch benefit from a head amp driving your cans, the interconnects will play a part in this equation so synergy and quality must be considered.

with the tape-out rca plugged, does the pre-amp have to be on? i've never tried this method b4 and i just got rid of my pre-amp lol

Thanks neutralzz, 2100 and mackie for your input. I have changed my interconnects to a better one and now there is a difference although it's still not as great as what I would be expecting from comments here. Still, I am reasonably satisfied and probably my CDP isn't entirely up to scratch as well

It's very easy dude. I'm sure your pre-amp has "Tape-out" RCA jacks in the back panel? Connect the Corda head amp to these and walla, you need not unplug the interconnects from "CD" and into your headamp while listening to cans. U only need another pair of interconnects to complete the connection.

Hi Mackie, I think I tried exactly that - but without success. Just to clarify, must it be "tape out". Can it be "tuner" or something else? The problem with my pre-amp is that my source selector does not have "tape". But the back connections do have "tape out" and even "tape". If I connect one end of the RCA to the HA-1 and the other end to my pre-amp "tape out", what should I select as source? I tried all but no go.

Tried this before with a pair of the high quality RCA gold-plated splitters i got from NDV

May I know where is NDV and how much is the splitter? Looks like this may be the only option now for me

with the tape-out rca plugged, does the pre-amp have to be on? i've never tried this method b4 and i just got rid of my pre-amp lol

Yes the pre-amp must be powered but adjustment of volume pot has no effect on the signal from "Tape out" jacks.

Hi Mackie, I think I tried exactly that - but without success. Just to clarify, must it be "tape out". Can it be "tuner" or something else? The problem with my pre-amp is that my source selector does not have "tape". But the back connections do have "tape out" and even "tape". If I connect one end of the RCA to the HA-1 and the other end to my pre-amp "tape out", what should I select as source? I tried all but no go

If your cdp is connected to "CD" jacks, select CD on the pre-amp selector, the signal from which will be transferred to "Tape-Out". Aside from "Left/Right" output jacks for connection to a power amp, "Tape out" is the only other output. All others eg CD, Tape-In, Aux, Tuner are input only. You must know your input and output my friend.

In summary..........select the input source as you would when listening to speakers. If cd player is connected to "CD", select as such. This signal from there will be routed to all output jacks, "Tape out", "Left out" and "Right out". You only need another pair of interconnects from pre-amp's "Tape out" to "Input" of Corda headamp. It must work, will work, or I'll jump off a building...unless of course if your pre-amp is faulty! laugh.gif

Graphics:

- CD player > CD input on pre-amp; select "CD" button on pre-amp's front panel.

- "Tape out" output on pre-amp > "Line input" of Corda HA-1

- Must power on pre-amp when listening to HA-1. Volume pot has no effect.

Edited by Mackie

Azeroth, NDV = New Disc Village, 4th level Adephi. But they have run out of stock.

I saw some good RCA splitters at Harvey Norman @ Jurong Point, $7.40 each. I guess you can find them at Sim Lim Tower also. Those good ones which is metal all the way, not the part plastic ones.

I saw some good RCA splitters at Harvey Norman @ Jurong Point, $7.40 each. I guess you can find them at Sim Lim Tower also. Those good ones which is metal all the way, not the part plastic ones.

Have you ever wonder why the expensive Bullet plugs and the favoured Neutrik RCA plugs are mostly made of plastic? Hence, do not be mistaken than all metal jacks are supposedly superior to plastic ones. The following link will shed some light on this issue.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~rabruil/bullet.html

Neutrik Profi Professional RCA connectors

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cf...tnumber=092-114

Edited by Mackie

Have you ever wonder why the expensive Bullet plugs and the favoured Neutrik RCA plugs are mostly made of plastic? Hence, do not be mistaken than all metal jacks are supposedly superior to plastic ones. The following link will shed some light on this issue.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~rabruil/bullet.html

Neutrik Profi Professional RCA connectors

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cf...tnumber=092-114

Hehe...I meant those cheap $3.50 black plastic RCA splitters lar. Lest he gets those. It's not a big price difference also and the plating looks better too. Of course if one gets the branded ones that'd be good. biggrin.gif

Shucks....WBTs are made of metal.... biggrin.gif

Edited by 2100

Shucks....WBTs are made of metal.... 

There could be more than what's beneath the "metal". Cheaper plugs are usually made of brass which has 28% conductivity. Better quality plugs with higher grade gold or rhodium coating will increase protection against corrosion and conductivity.

azeroth: What's the status now? Hope the problem is resolved.

Edited by Mackie

Azeroth, NDV = New Disc Village, 4th level Adephi. But they have run out of stock

Thanks, 2100, will visit that place to take a look out of curiosity although Mackie has now made that trip there unnecessary

You must know your input and output my friend.

Lol .. as they say, a drowning man will clutch at a straw. happy.gif

BTW, Mackie, I saved you from a suicide attempt. Many thanks to your detailed description which has solved my problem - fortunately you can't see my face, cos it looks a little sheepish. What stumped me was that I had not realised that I should select the same "CD" whether I am listening to CD from speakers or from headphones. So when I connected the RCA to "tape out" and through the HA-1, I always thought I should select something else on the source selector on my pre-amp because "CD" was already used by my CD player

The only odd thing now is that when I wish to switch from playing CDs from speakers to headphones, I will now have to switch off my power amp or turn down the volume knob on my pre-amp to zero since music flows from both speakers and headphones

The only odd thing now is that when I wish to switch from playing CDs from speakers to headphones, I will now have to switch off my power amp or turn down the volume knob on my pre-amp to zero since music flows from both speakers and headphones

It's not necessarily an inconvenience and having the headamp connected to your pre-amp helps to limit signal deterioration as opposed to adapter. If you are spending time on cans, you need not activate the power amp.

Edited by Mackie

Going our of thread? tongue.gif If your budget's around 500+, you could probably give the K701s a try. Compared to the same level headphones like my HD650, AD2000 and SA5000, the K701's probably the best sounding pair of cans.

Its sound signature is more towards the dark side of the HD650, has the Airyness of the AD2000 and details of the SA5000 but just like the HD650, no piercing highs. The bass in terms of quantity is a miz between the HD650 and the AD2000. In terms of quality, its deep, tight controlled and very impactful.

The midrange is sweet sounding as usual and its warm and lush but no behind the veil sound of the sennheisers.

These are quick impressions after owning them for about a week or so. Imo, the K701's do all genres of music well. Definitly a good all rounder!

Razer, u own K701? i check headfi and it is around $600+(convert from USD), sounds great from your description, but i ask around, even Asia Sound, still not available in Singapore. Look forward to lay my hands on K701 yes.gif any one else in Singapore has it??