Sign in to follow this  

Inside of Grado RA-1

Old news lah. If you take only cost of parts only into consideration, excluding overheads, 99.9% of the stuff we buy are not worth the selling price. biggrin.gif

Edited by av98m

Damn straight it's worth +US$300!!! If it looks good it sounds good! It's all in the placebo man! Now if they can do something about the box that packages Grados I think they can add another $100 on top of that!

If it looks good it sounds good! It's all in the placebo man! Now if they can do something about the box that packages Grados I think they can add another $100 on top of that!

Lol, how very true, Naz.

But still, it's common knowledge that the RA-1 is made from pretty cheap components, which is what encouraged DIYers to come up with clones.

lol.. quite many headphones dont cost that much in cost price either.. probably the brand, workmanship if any, etc

Heh, like the RS-1. Its just a couple of small wooden cups, a couple of drivers, some copper wire, pvc insulation, bits of metal and leather, hot glue, globs of solder. And it comes in a cardboard box! HOW DARE they charge a thousand bucks for it! biggrin.gif

And them interconnects, powercords etc. Its just wire and insulation! How can we possibly let them get away with charging hundreds and even thousands of dollars! biggrin.gif

Edited by av98m

Yah lar, of coz I know quite a lot of Hifi stuff are not worth the $$$ in parts. Some are worth more than others, but this is a bit ridiculous.

Yeah....powercords is another blackhole. Just saw some couple of hundred dollars powercords terminiated with that $10 "hospital property" red plug you get at LHS.

Check this out

http://afublog.blogspot.com/2005/08/pad-pu...gn-is-very.html

lol.. quite many headphones dont cost that much in cost price either.. probably the brand, workmanship if any, etc

Heh, like the RS-1. Its just a couple of small wooden cups, a couple of drivers, some copper wire, pvc insulation, bits of metal and leather, hot glue, globs of solder. And it comes in a cardboard box! HOW DARE they charge a thousand bucks for it! biggrin.gif

And them interconnects, powercords etc. Its just wire and insulation! How can we possibly let them get away with charging hundreds and even thousands of dollars! biggrin.gif

too many interconnects in the market,, seriously speaking some of us might not even notice the difference between some of the mid end inter connects of similar materials/designs .. ofc copper etc.. how much more OFC can copper be?

its only in some inter connects with inclusion of silver, amorphous metal (freaking expensive!!) etc that imparts diff tonal characteristics.. 12 strand type of inter connects etc...

well if you subject some people to a blind test maybe you could seriously tell the difference in using a 100 power cord or a $500 power cord, or not even experience it much.. blind testing helps eliminate psychological effects which are pretty dominant most of the time..

for people who can discern the difference very much, then maybe it should justify.. or people who've already got such a good system that there's nothing much to be improve on except the other stuff..

amp, source, and speakers are the main determinants of sound.. if i have a decent set of cables and interconnects, i would prefer to focus on improving these components than cables/power cords

in hifi one's always lured into the "misconception" that expensive = sound good, the more expensive the better etc.. but everyone has a different preference..

you could throw the bomb and come back home with a $10k amplifier and a $10k pair of speakers, and start learning how to love the sound of expensive stuff.. or at least do things differently instead, know the sound you love, know what you enjoy, and explore into these areas, getting what is most suited for you instead

Just how many things in this world are nearly worth its costs?

not many things though. everything;s marked up. but all by different proportions i guess.

some things can be marked up 10 times, some 3 times, some 5 times.

why the recent hype abt china made audio products in echoloft recently regarding a distributor etc, and all that funny cloning talking to each other. although it made the distri appear as laughing stock, but its very true, china audio products are making their presence felt.

because of the price, the components, and possibly a much lower mark-up between selling price/cost price, which makes it more alluring to buy.

its human or probably part of a rational search i guess, one would always prefer to buy things that seem to be "value for money" although brand names often have a value attached as well

The L3000 is one can that I feel has been marked up like mad....I mean, the drivers are only $84 on bluetin each....So what about the leather and wood, they aren't worth much too....But still, typical headfi virus struck me and i bought them. Don't regret but have always been wondering what the 3 grand went into....