Sign in to follow this  
flemingoh

TS Lim Modified Marantz CD63

Hi guys

Have heard good things about the modified Marantz CD63 by TS Lim. Anyone has listened to one or using one currently? Just wanted to know reviews/feedback on it.

Thinking of going down to Sky Audio to see whether can audition one, if available.

Many thanks.

I'll just say it sounds much better than it looks. It certainly kicked my modded Rotel 991's ass, I'm sorry to say. biggrin.gif

Auditions are available.

Edited by av98m

Very musical, but not as detailed/resolving as higher end CDPs, so it's not for the "detail freaks". Also I found the bass slightly lacking, not as deep and impactful as I would like. Of course this is comparing to CDPs that cost substantially more. YMMV.

thanks guys.

just saw one set available on echoloft as advertised by Sky Audio.

pity i'm not in town this weekend.

you working for sky audio?

no, i don't. i'm sure there's justification for suspicion, especially if you follow the some of the recent threads on echoloft about a certain MIC dealer creating fathom threads ...

i'm a newbie, hence asking rudimentary questions - mostly only read reviews w/o doing sufficient auditioning.

it can be good if you can share your experience with the modified player or buying things from them.

if there's any whiff of negative about them, i would skip auditioning the player.

probably next time i should be careful about starting a thread with ... "i've heard good things ..."

cheers

When you're able to, just go down and listen for yourself. I've found that trying to determine how good or bad a product is from hearsay on the internet is a waste of time. Let your ears be the judge(and not your eyes, the player is really butt ugly inside-out). biggrin.gif

Oh forgot to comment on customer service. Both Sky Audio and X Audio(Their shops face each other at Bukit timah Plaza) have impeccable customer service. Worlds apart from the typical Adelphi shops.

Edited by av98m

Very true, we all hear differently (to some extent), and the same component might very well sound different in contrasting systems. Synergy is the word. wink.gif But I am glad I haven't been misled by people here, nor on Head-fi. happy.gif

But I am glad I haven't been misled by people here, nor on Head-fi.

For me at least not yet. Satisfied with my Grados SR-80 and Shure E4c.

To find out soon : My PA2V2 and Cardas Mini to Mini cable recommended by people here.

Still waiting for their arrivanl.

i'm a newbie, hence asking rudimentary questions - mostly only read reviews w/o doing sufficient auditioning.

it can be good if you can share your experience with the modified player or buying things from them.

if there's any whiff of negative about them, i would skip auditioning the player.

Don't believe everything you read in reviews. And don't believe everything you hear in shops. Reviews lie, and listening rooms are optimised to show off the system. Don't be surprised to find the equipment sound different when you bring it home, or it doesn't sound an iota like what you read in the review.

The best thing to do is get a home audition or listening to it at a friend's place, failing that, you'd have to settle for listening to it at the showroom.

Of course the best way to audition a CD player's qualities is actually to bring your headphones and headamp. That would always remain a constant, and then you can pick up how each CD player actually sounds.

Chris

PS. Reviews don't really lie....but they can't be trusted. I know that for a fact.....

Chris,

So do we believe the reviews you wrote in HWM?

Just joking! Keep up the good work. Are you trying to establish an audio section in the mag itself?

Sorry for being off the topic.

Edited by Northern Oak

Chris,

So do we believe the reviews you wrote in HWM?

Just joking! Keep up the good work. Are you trying to establish an audio section in the mag itself?

Sorry for being off the topic.

OMG a fan! *bows* I'm not worthy. tongue.gif Thanks for reading, seriously you just made my day!!!

HWM has always been a magazine about tech toys for boys (and girls). And audio equipment is definitely a strong part of it. There isn't a special section per se, and we're definitely not a hifi mag, but I try what I can to push for interesting gear that I would personally like to listen to wink.gif. Ironically, ONE month before I started writing for them, 3 of the lucky btards got to have a audition session with the Senn Orpheus, serial no. 152.

It helps that the guys are musicphiles too.

Chris

PS. Ok. reviews don't really lie...all the time wink.gif

thanks, yongchris.

agree with you. i try to bring along my integrated amp and i/c + CDs to test out CDP, if allowed - that way at least i know any difference is likely to be due to speaker/speaker cable + room setting or simply my ears.

also good idea to bring headphone amp + headphone, then can eliminate room setting as well.