Sign in to follow this  
acidboy84

Thinking of getting the SR-325i

Have been eyeing the SR-325i as it's simply gorgeous. Well I don't have a CDP (yet). I'll be connecting the Grados to my X-Fi Elite Pro > PA2V2(soon) > SR-325i (if I'm getting).

My music are MP3 having a bit rate of 192(most), 256(some), 320(rarely) and monkey audio (those I rip myself). Do you think getting the cans is just an overkill? I'll listen to pop/rock and sometimes, rather rarely to classical.

Which one? Not really into AT but if it's worth it why not. tongue.gif

Once you get a CDP and an amp for the Grado SR-325i it will become "worth it". However it will also perform well out of a PCDP - not too sure about MP3 as the Grado will probably let you hear the shortfall in the recordings YMMV.

AFAIK, the SR-325i are much more balanced cans then the older SR-325 (a bit too bright for my liking).

On paper the AT cans look like they can be driven by PCDP but my experience with the L3000, ATH-W100, W1000 is that these really need a good amp that has synergy with the AT (ie they are not as amp friendly as the Grados). Grados work well with Hedroom amps, Cmoys, Cordas, and of course the Grado RA-1 amp.

However I'm not familier with the other AT cans so perhaps they can indeed be driven well.

Why not go down to Hung Brothers and try out some AT caans then go to Music By Design and test drive the Grados. Only after comparing the 2 you shd decide. Trust your own ears.

Ok... Guess it's quite a big decision getting the SR-325i. The thing is that I don't have an amp. Even my PA2V2 hasn't arrive yet.

Now using my old Sony discman connected to the X-Fi console via the line out and already can hear the difference. Wonder how a CDP would sound like. cool.gif Seems that the console cannot read the optical out of my discman. Sigh...

Or you could look at AT's ES7. Its a portable can that's AT's newest creation. The sound is fantastic for its price. + the cool looking mirror finish, its really a very posh looking and great sounding for the cash pair of cans.

Seems that the console cannot read the optical out of my discman. Sigh...

Did U get a fibre-optic cable for this connection?

How about MS2i? More neutral than SR-325i i think. There are some complains about it the the below thread.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread....damages+hearing

Did U get a fibre-optic cable for this connection?

Yup... I used an optical cable. Saw the red light emmited but no sound. blink.gif

How about MS2i? More neutral than SR-325i i think. There are some complains about it the the below thread.

Damn you're making me scared. I'm having a slight ringing in my right ear. Should this cause for an alarm? I freaking out man...

The thing is that I want to upgrade to something that's good enough so that I'll not upgrade too often. Will purchase more equipment next year. A DAB, proper AMP and a CDP.

Right now I only have a PCDP connect to my X-Fi as I don't have any amp yet so my X-Fi Elite's console is my amp now. laugh.gif

Edited by acidboy84

Damn you're making me scared. I'm having a slight ringing in my right ear. Should this cause for an alarm? I freaking out man...

lol. I am not trying to make you scared. I have not heard the SR325i. i came across this thread, so show it to you.

Maybe MS2i or SR225? Less harsh on the treble i guess. MS2i has the similar looks that you're looking for in a SR325i minus the little button.

MS2i has the similar looks that you're looking for in a SR325i minus the little button.

It can only be bought online right? The waiting I, think will kill me. Still waiting for my PA2V2 and Cardas mini to mini that I ordered last week.

If I have to endure this again I rather go to City Hall and go to MBD auction the cans, satisfied, purchase it, admire it in the MRT and finally listen to the new cans once reach home. tongue.gif

acidboy84,

Auditioning a pair of cans before buying is always a good idea. In fact I never buy anything before auditioning them myself. The reason is simple: for every single person you find that simpliy adores a particular model of a perticular brand you're sure to find someone else that has a complaint about the sound quality. So in the end only you can decide what you like or dont like and the only way to do that is to audition. If you dont like the grados then there are ample Beyers and Senns and AKG to try.