Sign in to follow this  
neutralzz

to keep for diy bookshelf? or sell? kef t27

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

had always wanted to make a pair of 3/5a's but hunting for the midrange driver is real tough.

will diy bookshelfs of the same crossover/cabinet sound close to the original if original parts are used as well?

errrmm

how confident u're in doing DIy bookshelves?

involve a lot of woodwork which is very impt to the end sound quality IMO

from what I've read in head-fi DIY bookshelves can sound very nice, too

but I myself not experienced at all

so yah, read more I guess...

any other opinions from other more experienced members?

nah i wont be doing the woodwork, martin electronics gotch the cabinet i want, but its $250

crossover is expensive...

if i get the driver and assemble the whole setup would cost me abt 1k+.. worth it? would be if the sound's the same,.. wont be if its different.

else could sell for pple spare part repair their old speaker though..

or keep? as investment? lol rare pair of NOS tweeters

Don't forget the material and the correct amount needed to dampen the cabinet's inerds? Too much and too little of it may also cause tonality changes/shifts.

Don't forget the material and the correct amount needed to dampen the cabinet's inerds? Too much and too little of it may also cause tonality changes/shifts.

From what I remember from so long ago, the LS3/5a uses pitch or tar to dampen the wooden case. Is this still in use? Wow, it will be messy.

Don't forget the material and the correct amount needed to dampen the cabinet's inerds?  Too much and too little of it may also cause tonality changes/shifts.

From what I remember from so long ago, the LS3/5a uses pitch or tar to dampen the wooden case. Is this still in use? Wow, it will be messy.

nope not longer in use.. its actually just polyurethane foam

martin electronics have the exact same spec cabinet for $250

stirling broadcast used to have old ls3/5 cabinets abt abt 50 pounds each but no stock, asked me to get back to them in mid january.. else not i might just get a stirling brand new cabinet.. looks good but tough on the pocket

DIY as an alternative to owning the real thing is rarely done, unless the originals were easily copied for the price being charged, which then really don't say much for the manufacturer.

But DIY to make something that suits your current taste with certain music with your current equipment/room, is a harder, less perceptibly impressive to others but can be said to be a truer expression of self, ie, enjoy music more.

Incidentally, there are diy designs for the T27, B200 and B139 drivers available in the 70s, dunno if can find anot. These 70s designs would be interesting comparison to contemporary speakers or even the LS 3/5.

hmm~~

user posted image

user posted image

both in excellent working condition~..

short of 15 ohm cross over, either get from martin for $300, or get someone else to do it for me, maybe even consider the commercial cicables.

if everything goes well. i guess its an ls3/5a for a real budget price smile.gif

Edited by neutralzz