Sign in to follow this  
Futura

AKG K701 or HD650?

Greetings~

I want to get a new phones for X'mas holiday.gif So far I have shortlisted AKG K701 and HD650. But I never tried on these phones before, so I wish to listen some comments from you guys. By the way, below are my requirements:

1) Comfort is my major concern. After listened to HD600, I realized how painful it is to put the HF-1 on my head.

2) Enough with bright pair of phones. Please, no more piercing highs like grados...

3) Must be good in bass department.

I will have a DIY SOHA to pair with. Thus there shouldn't be a problem to drive either HD650 or K701. Or you have some better suggestions? happy.gif

rgds

Darren.

Edited by Futura

Good bass department, no piercing highs, comfortable...humm. That sounds like a Beyer DT770 to me. Of all three, I find the 770s most confortable and most solidly built. 701s can sound a little bright in my opinion. Senns if you are a fan of senns. lol. But do go chk out the Beyers.

No experience with the AKG or the Beyers, but if you like your HD600, then the HD650 would be a good bet. It retains the comfort and sound signature, while adding better bass.

Good bass department, no piercing highs, comfortable...humm. That sounds like a Beyer DT770 to me. Of all three, I find the 770s most confortable and most solidly built. 701s can sound a little bright in my opinion. Senns if you are a fan of senns. lol. But do go chk out the Beyers.

Erm, should I wait for the new upcoming beyer cans instead? tongue.gif

But imo, 701 ain't as good as the HD650 in terms of comfort. The K701 has a bass that's definitly better than the 501, but loses out in terms of quantity to the HD650. Its tight and just decent enough if you're not a basshead. The K701 is definitly more upfront and the mids are smooth as butter. However the overall sound is still towards the laidback side. Highs are well defined and there wasn't any piercing highs. Details are well taken care of as well. The soundstage and imaging is pretty good also. Notable major plus plus is its airy sound that matches the AD2000 pretty well.

Of course, the HD650 is a great pair of cans so the 701 isn't one that replaces it. The best way is to hear the cans for yourself and decide what you like.

Oh, and before I forget, to me, the K701 isn't as comfortable as the HD650....The pads are simply way too hard....Guess I need to wear them more to soften them further.

Guess I dun have much taste for airy open cans. lol. 701s dun really appeal to me at all. My gf and I think they are really thin and bright. Couldn't appreciate the SA5K and the Qualia 010 too. wink.gif I'm steering clear of them for now.

But hey, the K701 kinda comfy. Maybe because I got smaller ears? lol.

I was having choice between DT880 & HD650 during audition last month & I immediately without hesitation went for HD650.

However, you must personally audition them and decide ultimately.

Regards

cool.gif

So the K701's are out in Japan? Strange, the issue of K701 sounding thin has never been brought up before. Its actually more of a warm laidback lush sound. The SA5k I gotta agree with you. Its sounding too thin and cold and analytical for my liking..

But imo, 701 ain't as good as the HD650 in terms of comfort. The K701 has a bass that's definitly better than the 501, but loses out in terms of quantity to the HD650. Its tight and just decent enough if you're not a basshead. The K701 is definitly more upfront and the mids are smooth as butter. However the overall sound is still towards the laidback side. Highs are well defined and there wasn't any piercing highs. Details are well taken care of as well. The soundstage and imaging is pretty good also. Notable major plus plus is its airy sound that matches the AD2000 pretty well.

Of course, the HD650 is a great pair of cans so the 701 isn't one that replaces it. The best way is to hear the cans for yourself and decide what you like.

Oh, and before I forget, to me, the K701 isn't as comfortable as the HD650....The pads are simply way too hard....Guess I need to wear them more to soften them further.

Good points there. So the HD650 still stand out among the same price range phones...I hope I can audition these phones when I pay a visit to SLS few days later headphone.gif

I would call it a close fight between the HD650 and the K701. Maybe the K701 has a little edge over the HD650. But the HD650 is hard to drive...You'll have to consider this point. The K701 is at 64 ohms and 105 for sensitivity. Thus its still alright if you're running them out of portables...But I doubt you'll do that...

So the K701's are out in Japan? Strange, the issue of K701 sounding thin has never been brought up before. Its actually more of a warm laidback lush sound. The SA5k I gotta agree with you. Its sounding too thin and cold and analytical for my liking..

happy.gif I got it from Head-fi. I have no patience to wait for the release here. Also there's no indication of a confirmed release date. Warm and lush? humm... I really should steer clear of open cans. ppth.gif

I read your other posts, so everyone's been to your place for auditioning already huh. I'll let you know when I get back yea?? headphone.gif $50 rite?

Just joking....haha....Nah...No one's been over except for lekguan. I was like you as well. Ordered them online through ttvj during the special introductory price period. Couldn't wait, never could wait anyways.... For you, it'll cost $500 for auditioning at my place, airfare excluded... tongue.gif

I read your other posts, so everyone's been to your place for auditioning already huh. I'll let you know when I get back yea?? headphone.gif $50 rite?

I've read your other posts as well. Dress up like one of those tokyo uncles and he might even invite you over and give you a free ES7. whistling.gif