Sign in to follow this  
Blacknight

Know where to get a 6.35mm to 3.5 mm mini jack?

Anybody got any idea where I can get one (ie. 6.35mm -> 3.5 mm mini-jack)? How much does it usually cost?

brass!

i would have thought that it was gold plated-something!

[DIY noob mode]Isn't it better to have more copper content than brass for conductivity? Or in this application it doesn't matter much & is more for strength.[/DIY noob mode]

First of all, gold plating is meant to reduce the effects of oxidisation. Brass doesn't oxidise like steel so there isn't a need to plate it.

Secondly, there aren't any copper or copper alloy connectors for mini plugs. At least I don't know of any. If they are, they'd be mojo expensive. Maybe we'll see them in the future as headphones become more n more important in a stereo.

Lastly, adaptors are already a compromise by themself. So your concerned with fidelity? Solder the wires of your headphones cable directly to the headamp pcb bypassing the male 1/4" stereo plug, adaptor and 1/8" female socket. Not willing to do it? Compromise lor...

Yeah, how else to swap headphones! LOL!!!

so is there anything to look out for a good quality plug/adaptor???

is there such a thing as "good->better->best" plug/adaptor?

i mean is there a quality difference between plugs/adaptors?

Sipher,

Better plugs? Well you'd have to check forums. Most of the time plugs are designed to be easy to use, hold unto cables and receptables well.

All rules thats true for plugs are the same for adaptors or anything that is designed conducts electricity. Its just that there would be a very very small market for audiophile adaptors and hence no manuf would wanna gamble on this.

I know switch craft makes good connectors but i doubt they are designed to sound good or rather, affect the sound less.

as a rule of thumb, i would think gold coloured plugs are better than silver ones.

silver ones are nickel-plated-something(steel, iron, zinc etc), gold may be solid brass or gold plated.

anyway brass is an alloy of copper and zinc, so there IS copper.