Sign in to follow this  
watchthewaves

Views on Audio-Technica needed

Hi,

Are their open cans available in Singapore? I hear of the A series but not the AD series. Prefer open cans as will be used at home. Does open cans mean less bass but better mid-range?

Wondering whether the A700/900 or the AD700/900 might be suitable for me. I have heard the Beyer DT880 and 990pro and the Senn HD650. Sonically, what is the difference in flavour between the ATs and these cans?

Am searching for my first set of cans, so still trying to find out the type of sound that I like. Need an all rounder because listen mainly to jazz, acoustics and some rock and classical; and will also use for movies.

Thanks.

The AD series is available over at Stereo Electronics smile.gif

Taking the DT880 to be the base standard, and A900 as comparison, I'd say that the A900 has more bass and perhaps equavalent treble (its been a while since I last tried the DT880, newer version), but its mids will be slightly recessed as compared to the DT880.

I like the A900 a lot, but if I has the cash, proper power source and such and were to choose betweem the A900 and DT880, I'd pick the DT880.

Never tried the AD before, so I can't help ya there. Audition first before making the decision ya? wink.gif

I'm now using a MJ tube amp with my A900LTDs, and I do think that the AXXX series do benefit from the pairing with a good amp. That the mids are definitely more pronounced, if not resolved the recessed mids issue. party.gif

Read quite a few reports that those HD600/650 users who tried the AD2000, never turned back... tongue.gif

Best is for you to do an audition first, as sonic taste differs.

I for one still turned back after a while though! The AD2000 was indeed superb but sometimes, nothing beats the laid-back warmth around 10pm at night with some smooth jazz through the HD650s...

Is this thread trying to get me to be more and more sorry for my wallet? tongue.gif

Is the AD2000 is going waaayy above the HD650 price? I am hoping to keep to a budget of around $300+. So unless I find the HD650 or others in that price range and above so much better than the others of around $300+, I will try not to kill my wallet. I am using the headphone amp in the Benchmark DAC1. The chaps at Benchmark do their listening with HD600 (and some with HD650).

Can someone try to tell me what the AT "house" sound is? If Beyers are supposed to be lively and Senns to be warm with bass, what about AT?

The AD series sound differs from model to model, but two things I've noted the last time I had a good chance to compare them was, "detailness" and "openess". I often find the AT headphones more comfortable for long hours, compared to my HD600 and K701.

Is this thread trying to get me to be more and more sorry for my wallet? tongue.gif

Is the AD2000 is going waaayy above the HD650 price? I am hoping to keep to a budget of around $300+. So unless I find the HD650 or others in that price range and above so much better than the others of around $300+, I will try not to kill my wallet. I am using the headphone amp in the Benchmark DAC1. The chaps at Benchmark do their listening with HD600 (and some with HD650).

Can someone try to tell me what the AT "house" sound is? If Beyers are supposed to be lively and Senns to be warm with bass, what about AT?

ATH headphones doesn't really have a house sound imo. For instance, the ES7 has a very different approach to sound as compared to the AD2000. Then again, the AD2000 has a sound signature that is not found in the W1000. And then again, the W1000 and the L3000 sounds really different.

As for the price of the AD2000, I'am sorry to say that you wouldn't be able to get it LOCALLY for anything under $800.

Thanks guys. Helpful info.

Hi Aron,

err .... I think AD2000 will bust my budget. Thinking of the AD700 or AD900. Do you have them or do you carry the A700 and A900 versions instead? And around how much please, if you don't mind my asking. Will pop down one day to hear them.

If anyone else has experience with these, would appreciate hearing about them.

Hi,

I have both the DT880('06) and ATH-A900. The DT880 has a bigger soundstage and is more detailed in vocals and highs. It is also less punchy but deeper in bass. DT880 is also more comfortable to wear for a long time. As for the ATH-A900, since it's closed type, it has better isolation. Thus, bass is also more punchy but not as deep as DT880. Do feel that the vocals and highs are smoother but more laid back than DT880. I'm using the DT880 for home and A900 for portable.

Thanks guys. Helpful info.

Hi Aron,

err .... I think AD2000 will bust my budget. Thinking of the AD700 or AD900. Do you have them or do you carry the A700 and A900 versions instead? And around how much please, if you don't mind my asking. Will pop down one day to hear them.

Check your PM for the prices. Feel free to bring your portable down to try them out, please call to check stock availability on the day you plan to drop by. cool.gif

Thanks guys.  Helpful info.

Hi Aron,

err .... I think AD2000 will bust my budget.  Thinking of the AD700 or AD900.  Do you have them or do you carry the A700 and A900 versions instead?  And around how much please, if you don't mind my asking.  Will pop down one day to hear them.

Check your PM for the prices. Feel free to bring your portable down to try them out, please call to check stock availability on the day you plan to drop by. cool.gif

Hi,

Would like to know your price for the A900.

Thanks!

Thanks guys.  Helpful info.

Hi Aron,

err .... I think AD2000 will bust my budget.  Thinking of the AD700 or AD900.  Do you have them or do you carry the A700 and A900 versions instead?  And around how much please, if you don't mind my asking.  Will pop down one day to hear them.

Hi,

Would like to know your price for the A900.

Thanks!

Check PM cool.gif