Sign in to follow this  
N@Z

HMV Summer Sale

Heard that it will be starting on 26th June 2003 throughout UK so I assume HMV sg should also be having a big sale too. Time to get all those CDs you always wanted to but have been putting off till now.

i think even after a sale is declared hmv's cds will still be more expensive than, say sembawang music centre or [gasp] cd-rama. or any no-name shop.

can't beat the selection though. so, what to do.. unsure.gif

Unfortunately those shops hardly seem to carry the stuff I normally look for like, special pressings, non chart related etc. I normally look through Mustafa center first since their price is less than SG$19/CD. BTW are they genuine? Sometimes the print on the inlay cards looks doubious but the CD & sound seems ok.

if so, then i doubt that they are genuine first rate goods.

most likely they are second rate [read: inferior] pressings from hong kong, taiwan, china or worst of all, indonesia. no.gif

bit for bit they are probably the same, but the sound will be different. i would recommend re-burning such cds to black cds via the 4x-external-damped-cdburner method.

Have U encountered bad pressings from HK generally? In fact, theirs and Taiwan pressings have improved a lot in recent years. Some well mastered HK labels such as TopMusic and Hugo have gained accolades within the audiophile community.

Beware of local, Malaysian and Indonesian pressings as I have bad experiences. For instance, the local release of recent Joey Yung Best Collection contains distorted tracks. These were not so in the HK press when I listened to my Bro-in-law's copy.

heh I agree with mackie. Generally the HK and Taiwan pressing are quite good. Never seem to hear any distortion. I listen to alot of chinese pop, and I don't expect the quality to be superb. But certainly not bad, better than singapore press even (those eqmusic -.-)

I got carried away myself here, the thread will be closed & a new one opened in equipment talk to discuss about CD pressings.