Sign in to follow this  
Ahlek

ipod line out to headphone amp

yO`... i'm having 1 Pa2V2 with an Ipod.

I don't notice a very big difference when u plug into Pa2v2 or without. The sound sounds tighter,bass is more punchy.A slight increase in the "headroom".

It would also depend on the earphone/headphone you're using.

Different headphones respond differently to amplification. Earphones too low in impedance and high in sensitivity in general do not benefit much from amplification.

Hmm.. low impedance + high sensitivity = generally do not benefit from amplification...

then what about high impedance + high sensitivity = generally.............?

I never tried, so can't be too sure.

Only ones I tried amping before are the CK7 and UM2 through CMOY2 and PINT, not much improvement on CK7, no improvement whatsoever on UM2.

If very very high impedance however, I dunno what to really say, since the only high impedance phone I ever spent time with is the DT880. Listening through it with CMOY2 and PINT, I think I like the PINT better. Sit down there at Squalle's home and then listening to my classical tracks with PINT + DT880 = bliss...... Ahhhhhhh *eargasm*

Also, I think that high impedance phones usually cannot be run through a portable. A home source (dedicated amp) would be good.

Edited by Zephyron

Tried Ipod Video with Pa2v2 with e5c...

The improvement wasn't noticed at first, but after critically listening to it, seems like soundstage from e5c has either been lost or it has...changed.

Now i don't feel like the music is away from me, but more that i'm thrust right smack in the middle of the music. Instruments are MUCH more LIVELY, i thoroughly enjoyed this combination. Heck with that soundstage and all...

btw e5c has relatively high impedance but high sensitivity as well

And with regards to the topic...

I used pocketdock by sendstation...

Nice clean sound.

But pls use the cable that comes with the sendstation pocketdock...cos i used the cable that came with the pa2v2 and there was a pretty appreciable difference in sound quality:

the cable with pa2v2 made everything sound more boring and flat, while the one with sendstation pocketdock made everything so much clearer, brighter, and more enjoyable.

I'm surprised myself.

Hmm, would that mean that the cable that comes with PA2V2 is high in impedance as well, or is it just simply a bad cable?

But i have heard comments that the cables that came with sendstation pocketdock is of pretty good quality considering its price.

did try the cable (quite long though) which came with the pocketdock, and it does sound good...but if you really want better sq, try changing to another cable...DIY cables from head-fi are one of the best...

Was considering the PocketDock when I came across the Audioline cable. It could be a more logical option for desk-bound/bedside considering that there is an USB slot for charging the ipod while listening. Just wonder about the quality difference between using a direct out cable from dock to amp and via the PocketDoct which still required another mini to mini cable.

Need some expert opinions on amping or not amping the ipod as I am a newbie (just starting to appreciate) in this topic.

As I understood so far that by connecting an amp thru the headphone jack, the benefit is minimum as the output is going through the amp circuitry of the ipod and thus the amp act more as a volume booster.

However, the output from the lineout (dock connector) bypasses the amp circuitry and thus has a cleaner signal which would benefit from amping.

BTW, my setup will be ipod video 30G>PA2V2 (arriving soon biggrin.gif ) > Alessandro MS1. Still researching on how best to connect the ipod to PA2V2.

Are you gonna use that as your portable set-up? I plan to have something similar (sometime in the future...). Wouldn't the lack of isolation with the MS1s pose a problem? hmm...

then what about high impedance + high sensitivity = generally.............?

High impedance load (ear buds/cans) will definitely benefit from amplification than low impedance ones. Hence the result will be very much noticeable. High sensitivity only matters in terms of loudness.