Sign in to follow this  
Irfan87

Grado SR 225

i remember how i save up for mine first headphone. the Sony dynamic headphone MDR-84 ($75).. Good bass... then it got stolen after half a year later and i saw the MDR-94.. it cost me $120 thinking that i would have better and more bass then MDR84.. ... hiaz.. if i know about Grado then.. laugh.gif

Ahh.....yes, i knew at least someone here will heard of the HP-J7 Pipephone. headphone.gif Its much cheaper than Sony's but can match them for SQ. But at $40 back in 1993, its still quite a sum for a schoolboy like me. I actually got 2 pairs and they're both still working. I thought i lost my 1st pair and bought a replacement. Only found the 1st pair many years later. Maybe i'll post a few pics of it in the portable forum some time later.

nakedtoes, last time, we don't have the luxury of Internet. Sharing of info quite difficult. Thats may be why you didn't heard of Grado back then. I lagi worse, never heard of Senn back then. lol.

It seems like Irfan87 got the info he wanted for the SR225. No replies since then. tongue.gif

Btw, i remember this shop at the basement of Paradiz Centre that sells alot of guitars as well as studio equipments by M-Audio and they also care Ultrasone headphones...I wonder if they're the dealer for ultrasone cans...Imo, those ultrasone cans look pretty cool but a little plasticky...Would really like to try them and see how they sound....

A supplier contacted me to carry them, yes they are very plasticky, almost like toy headphones. Sound wise......errr.... better try them yourself.

I read on headfi (take it with a pinch of salt though...) that its very neutral and flat sounding....Suitable for studio work but because of that, it may not sound as great for listening to music normally.

Btw, i remember this shop at the basement of Paradiz Centre that sells alot of guitars as well as studio equipments by M-Audio and they also care Ultrasone headphones...I wonder if they're the dealer for ultrasone cans...Imo, those ultrasone cans look pretty cool but a little plasticky...Would really like to try them and see how they sound....

That's basement of Parklane Shopping Mall, not Paradiz.

That's basement of Parklane Shopping Mall, not Paradiz.

Dunno, haha. They seem the same to me....I know its the place filled with LAN shops and where Anything Audio used to be located at...

A supplier contacted me to carry them, yes they are very plasticky, almost like toy headphones. Sound wise......errr.... better try them yourself.

I read on headfi (take it with a pinch of salt though...) that its very neutral and flat sounding....Suitable for studio work but because of that, it may not sound as great for listening to music normally.

Neutral? IMHO, far from it. For eg, HFI650, I learnt what's on the extreme end of a transparent sound. HFI-2000 fares better and so does the lower end HFI-15. I actually considered the latter for portable purpose but the generally higher prices of Ultrasone does not offer similar value for money seen in other competitive brands.

Neutral? IMHO, far from it. For eg, HFI650, I learnt what's on the extreme end of a transparent sound. HFI-2000 fares better and so does the lower end HFI-15. I actually considered the latter for portable purpose but the generally higher prices of Ultrasone does not offer similar value for money seen in other competitive brands.

Like I said, I read it...I've not personally tried them to testify this...But it seems that ultrasone cans are rather rare and not so well known to the public....

I understand and am equally surprised some headfi members consider it neutral. FWIW, Anything Audio used to carry Ultrasone cans and I was told it ain't popular. I understand why after auditioning them.

When you go down to Music By Design or Stereo try the SR125 as well. They have more bite then the SR-225. I personally prefer the SR-225 but that's me an olde fart lol. Also dont blast the music lah you'll damage your ears - but if you must balst use a good headphone amp. That way when you do damage your ears you headphones still have resale value as the drivers are not damaged. Just kidding. You need about 150 hours of burn in before blasting your cans with an amp. If you blast without an amp (ie PCDP etc) the drivers will get damaged over time because of constant clipping from the little amp in your portable device. The Grado RA-1 is a nice amp as well esp with a Grado headphone. BTW the Grado RA-1 amp can drive even the Senn HD-600 decently IMO. But then I dont balst my music.