Sign in to follow this  
Mackie

Review: Beyerdynamic DT990 (2006 edition)

Introduction

Aesthetics of the new 2006 editions of DT770 and DT880 have always struck me "iffy" since I personally prefer the "more metal, less plastic" approach in designs of headphones. Although there's no dispute the lighter weight of the new editions are simply more comfortable to wear. This is crucial to me as I have a pointed head (no one can see it unless I shave my head bald), which can be really painful after wearing a pair of cans hours on end. However, from the onset, the new DT990 struck me as a pretty young thing which my heart desires (still do, even if I have to forsake all my other cans)! More importantly, I'm very interested in exploring the venetian-blinds on the cups and how it contributes to the resultant sound performance.

The new DT990 is a tad heavier than DT880 but still much lighter than the old DT880/990 and thus, less risk of fatigue on extended wear. The new DT880 and DT990 are housed in the same leather-like case with sponge packing for protection of the cans.

Why the venetian blinds and how about leakage?

In this review, I will pit the new DT990 against my modded and old DT990, which sports a concentric circle cut-out on the sides for greater control of bass and transparency and openness. To me, it's significantly better in these departments than the stock pre-2006 DT990s which have this hole that leads to the back of drivers, covered by a so-called acoustically transparent fabric. I assure you it isn't transparent at all.

Going back to the new DT990 and albeit with the venetian blinds that is champagne gold in colour (a light tinge that will appeal to all), it shares the same level of openness as my modded pair. First test, try it without music and listen to ambient noise of your surrounding. I guarantee you could conduct a conversation without having the need to remove the cans. Second test, remove the cans and play music through the old and new DT990s. I noticed the leakage from the new DT990 is slightly lesser. My guess is, the downward direction of these venetian blinds direct leakage of sound downwards and not outwards and therefore, resulting in less disturbance to people sitting/standing beside you. I simply wonder how these blinds fail to obstruct whereas my removal of the fabric of the old series resulted in greater degree of openness.

Construction

I will skip this part as it's been well documented in my previous review of DT880 (2006) and in the case of DT990, there's no changes and sport the same robust and rigid steel frames.

Sound quality

Did I mention previously the new DT880 is head of the Beyer clan in terms of sound quality prior to DT990 reaching our shores? Well, the former should now relinquish this title to the latter and where my accolades go, they are all placed strongly and by a long mile, with the new DT990! In fact, I could pit every model that Beyer has ever produced that makes great music against the new DT990 and the latter will still usurp the throne of being King of the Lot! I will gladly surrender my DT880, DT990 DT440, DT150, DT831, HD650, HD600 and SR80 for just this cans! On second thought, I still love DT150 for its fantastic details and clarity......maybe I shall keep this one.

Enough of accolades, let us dwell on performance now. The new DT990 takes less time to run in and actually sounds rather good out of the box. Let us cover the audio spectrum in greater detail:

Lower to upper bass

The old DT990 can sound a tad overwhelming in this region albeit with slam and punch much desired for bass heavy music but can be a slight hindrance with classical or orchestral music as certain finesse of instruments like flutes, violins and the likes may sound masked. The new DT990 exudes greater control in mid and upper bass while retaining its deep bass quality. Every dimension of the bass region is clearly more defined with no problem in sounding tuneful and yet forceful, delicate, detailed and never lumpy or fat. For instance, old and new DT990s can present double bass really well but when in comes to cello and bass guitar, the new DT990 lets you hear the finesse of each bass note and its harmonics without sounding lost amidst the overwhelming low bass resonance. With the new DT990, I hear a certain growl along with the bass notes of a bass guitar whereas this growl is simply less audible (if at all) with the old edition.

Lower to upper mid range

What the old DT880 and DT990 lacks in fullness, body and forward nature of voicing is simply made up for in the new DT990. In my opinion, this is the region that will convert non Beyer fans and send squeals of delight from existing Beyer fans. The new DT990 sounds slightly less forward than the new DT880 but much fuller and carries greater body than the older editions. I feel that human voice tends to sound chesty, breathy and more realistic. In audiophile terms, a full bodied mid range with the right balance of depth and forwardness. Females vocals seldom sound sibilant, which is a trait that Beyer tends to err in previous models. If it does, check your recordings. There's a certain tube-like nature to the mid range performance. Another significant appeal is that DT990 holds its voice and wrap it up in a membrane that makes it stands out from the rest of the soundstage but yet integrate it well with accompanying instruments. Integration and differentiation....in audiophilia, it simply means more airiness and presence and more. It seems like the mid range has a different plane of its own over the instruments which share the same plane. It's more 3-D and akin to listening to speakers but of course, a relatively less degree but hey, it sure sounds like there's a crossfeed circuit built into the cans! By and large, it presents a really wide and deep soundstage with instances of out-of-the-box performance. It simply means instruments on the extreme borders of soundstage may sound away or out-of the head much akin to listening to speakers but to a much smaller degree. It is still a headphone after all.

Lower highs to treble

I personally feel that this treble extension and lack of colourations as Beyers' forte but some might find the highs a bit too exuberant or gritty at times. Instead of rolling it off and risk a darker sound, the new DT990 manages to scale through the highs in a smooth and elegant manner which leaves nothing to desire and avoid any intolerable sibilance that can impair our enjoyment. I am very sensitive to colourations as I've lived and loved a neutral sound performance from my cans and speakers based systems. Although some colourations are acceptable for greater musical enjoyment, I find that the new DT990 either has the lack of it or only a very small degree that serves its purpose and not change or tilt the balance in favour of any spectrum.

Summary

I can assure you the new DT990 will not give you a flat frequency response on any graph. As yet, I perceive only DT150 has this honour amongst the Beyer cans. I believe Beyer engineers start to tailor the sound to audiophiles via DT440/660/860 but there are some misses amidst goals. However, with the launch of the new flagship DT990, they score big time this round and yet keep the price sane. Aesthetics are more contemporary while upping the ante in comfort. The new DT990 also has speed and no longer sounds less wanting with rock genre. Hence this model should not limit itself to buyers who listen to a certain genre, especially jazz and classical. Finally, I can think of an accolade most worthy of the new DT990. I will exclaim "It's Alive!" as if I have seen the awakening of Frankenstein in the way it presents the music in all genre.

A minor test

While auditioning Senn HD650 and AKG701, I also threw DT990 into the fray and in my opinion, it came up tops. At moderate volume, K701 fell out of favour while leaving the contest with HD650 and DT990. The Senn sounded less transparent and more bassy relative to the Beyer, which held its ground in presenting a more balanced performance throughout. At higher volume, HD650 deteriorated and left the competition between K701 and DT990. Now this fight was very close and the AKG simply sings and share the same degree of balance as the Beyer. However, the lower price of the latter simply wins by ground of value for money but if money is no issue, the AKG is a worthy foe and delicious harvest given its beautiful design, rigidity and comfort.

Test equipment

CD player - Musical Fidelity A3CD

Head amp - AudioValve RKV MKII

Accessroies: Tara Labs RSC Decade interconnects, MAS Grey power cords, Goldmund cones, Black Diamond Racing Cones type IV and AudioPrism Foundation 1 power conditioner

Related links:

Official Beyer site: Specs and all

http://www.beyerdynamic.co.uk/beyerpages/hifiopen.html

Preliminary DT990 findings and discussions

http://www.sgheadphones.net/index.php?showtopic=4628

Review of DT880 (2006 edition)

http://www.sgheadphones.net/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=4471

Edited by Mackie

great review mackie...now tempted to change DT880 (2006) to the new DT990... unsure.gif

Mackie

I want to mod my DT990pro, can you point me to the link? How to open the can?

thanks

Thanks Mackie, BTW, nice review.

If I could summarise : the new 990 has better detail than the 880, better bass than the 990pro, the speed of Grados, and still has the Beyer comfort - an impressive combination.

I would have liked to have tried it out with a better source.

Hmmmmz, something in my mind tells me that i need to have these cans! How much are they going for at AA ? Is it $499 ?

my limited listening experience and ears also tell me the new 990 is better than the new 880. i almost didn't listen to the new 880 when i was at AA last saturday! the new 990 just blew it away.

btw Mackie, which headphone amp in your collection sounded better with the new 990?

thanks for the great review.

I currently own XiangSheng 708A and Audiovalve RKV MKII. The new 990 sounds great with both amps but of course, the RKV is better between the two. I don't think the new 990 will be very picky about the amp, just as long as it is of good quality. It also sounds pretty good with PA2V2.

Personally, I suggest avoid pairing the new 990 with a dark and/or muddy sounding amp.

Edited by Mackie

oh man...i was almost making up my mind to get the dt880...now this no.gif

anyway, i will be paying AA a visit one of these days and will try these two great cans out...and the AKG too...

...my poor wallet.... no.gif

great review nevertheless Mackie!!

Edited by kross

cmk,

Follow this link. Remove each item from pads and work inwards. U need a tiny screwdriver to prise open each compartment and soldering tool with pointed bit to burn the fabric covering the ventilation hole.

http://www.sgheadphones.net/index.php?showtopic=1012&hl=

Mackie,

Just to check, when you got to the white cloth, you made the centre hole bigger? Or just made more small holes in the cloth? Also, did you do anything to the white plastic backing behind the cloth?

Thanks

cmk,

If you look closely at the picture below, U will notice the fabric covers the while plastic cup with a hole cut-out in the middle exposing the back of the driver. The objective is to cut the fabric covering this driver along the circumference of the concentric circle of the while inner cup. The end result should look the same as the enclosed image but the driver would be exposed to full view instead of being covered by the fabric.

http://home.pacific.net.sg/~clarencepoh/DT990.jpg