cmk

Audiophile Music player for PC

hi all

I'm not familar with PC players, only know Realplayer, MS mediaplayer.

Is there any software/hardware that I can use to playback my CDs that will allow them to sound like a decent CDP?

Or is this a mountain too high to climb?

i'm using Creative MediaSource with X-Fi...

Anyone have any positive or negative feedback using this player?

I'm using Creative MediaSource with X-Fi...

Anyone have any positive or negative feedback using this player?

Not too bad a player, but the issue of plugins, or the lack of them, is rather big, considering the "want" good sound quality.

Using it now, without X-Fi, and love it for its simplicity and organization. Plugins don't really bother me. tongue.gif

Apologies if I am hijacking the thread, but its also laptop related. Currently have the analogue signal from my Fujitsu lifebook running into either a Grado Ra-1 Clone or the analogue in of a Corda Aria. Thinking of ways I can improve the digital side of things, and here's what I can come up with so far:

1) Echo Audio Indigo (IO or DJ? I have no need for inputs, but dual output would be good since I have two amps)

2) Creative Audigy PCMCIA card (Is this really lousy for pure 2 channel audio compared to the Indigo)

3) M-Audio transit for the digital output + external DAC (prob hifi brand one)

Of the 3, which would you guys choose?

I would choose 3) if you seriously want good sound out of it.

Would the m-audio transit be the best if all I need is the digital out? I'm guessing you are recommending it as well due to price?

M-audio transit has a proven track record in audiophile applications. It is not the best in providing digital out as the best usually comes with a higher price. Besides, using a laptop limits the choices available.

I myself use primarily a computer for my tunes. PCI digital out ->dac -> amp.

I just called the echo audio dealer and the Indigo DJ and IO both cost $300. Decisions, decisions. It seems to be the cheapest solution thus far, as even if I go with M-audio transit at $160, I'm still going to have to fork out cash for DAC and digital cable.

I just realised you have an Aria. So i guess it basically solved the problem unless you are looking for a higher end source.

I just realised you have an Aria. So i guess it basically solved the problem unless you are looking for a higher end source.

The Aria DAC is not very good actually. And its soft. Using my HD600 thru the Aria DAC, I have to listen at max volume and even then its not loud enough.

You might want to try the Creative Soundblaster Digital Music SX (about S$165 IIRC). I connect it to my Thinkpad X40 via USB, and it can pass a digital signal via optical out and also has a headphone out. (It can also accept optical digital in, if that's useful to you.) It has analogue in and out as well.

I use it with my AT AD900s, using Foobar and flac files on the laptop, and am happy with it. I really can't comment too much on the sound quality as the headphones are the only "serious" ones I've listened to, so I have no basis for comparison.

If it's important to you, one feature is that it CAN produce bit-perfect output (tested by playing DTS CD, ripped to WAV and played via a receiver using foobar on the laptop).

It's powered by USB and it's USB 1.1, which some people might be unhappy with, but it does take external power as well (no battery option).