Sign in to follow this  
Deinel

Upgrade?

Just 2 quick question. I own a Grado SR-60, and i use it with my MD unamped. Is the SR-80 good unamped? And also, which is better? SR-80 or MS-1?

Also, can the SR-125 and SR-225 plug in portables? Will they in unamped conditions sound worse/same/better than the SR-60 and SR-80?

Impedance of Grados are standardized at 32ohms. So you will not have any problem in driving the other models to the same loudness as your present SR60. To find out if upgrades will improve upon your incumbent SR60, you gotta audition it for yourself. However, I think SR80 will improve over SR60 but whether its higher price justifies the improvement is another concern. The same applies when you move up the rungs.

Edited by Mackie

MS1 is generally equivalent to the SR125-225, so this would be an upgrade from the SR60.

If you considering upgrading, then you should plan where you want to go with this. If you stay with Grado sound, there are some "sweet spots" in their line which folks recognise as being great value. An alternative is to also consider other brands since you already have a Grado. More variety.

Deinel,

You should audition the cans first and I believe Stereo Electronics at Causeway Point would have the cans available for you to try. Bring your RH910 along and some of the discs that you are really familiar with whilst using the SR60 with the RH910.

Wow, thanks for the very quick replies. I was referring to the 1/4" adapter. What is that and whats the use of it? So i assume that all Grados have the plug of the same size(im still noob)? What is the voice coil wire and the connecting cord?(very noob, forgive me) mellow.gif

Cautiously, im hoping to get the SR-80, but im also contemplating skipping the ladder and go straight to the SR-225 or MS-1, if sounds clearly better than the SR-60 or SR-80 unamped.

Yeah and i think one fine day i would go to Adelphi and audition Grados at MBD(got sofa to seat) and MS-1 at Jaben. No offence to Stereo but i paiseh to go there cos just monday i went with my girlfriend and looked around very long yet didnt bought anything haha.

SR125 and above should come with a 1/4 plug. (Can check with grado site) You will need a 6.3mm to 3.5mm converter. (I want to buy one too) MS1 is connected to a 3.5mm plug. So can go straight to your player.

So SR-125 and above need a converter to plug into the player?

I'm bemused. If you can plug your SR60 to the MD (plug and unplug the 1/8">1/4" converter), the same applies for SR125 and above.

can anyone confirm the exact price of MS1? I planning to get them some time later

pm Wilson since Jaben (shop's name...just in case you are wondering) has now joined the family?

So SR-125 and above need a converter to plug into the player?

I guess you can put it this way. As far as i know, only the SR60 and 80 in Grado range is terminated with a 3.5mm plug. In the Alessandro range, only the MS1 is fitted with a 3.5mm plug.

So you'll need a 6.3mm to 3.5mm converter if using with a 3.5mm jack. Its better to get the Grado one cos its actually a short cable instead of a converter only. The cable style helps relieve stress to your 3.5mm jack.