Sign in to follow this  
seantan

Highest quality for MP3

Hi all,

I have a question regarding the conversion of audio cd to mp3. I tried doing a search of the forum but can't seem to find a post that will answer my question.

I use a apple powerbook and I convert my cds into mp3 via itunes. CDs sounds fine on my powerbook but when converted to mp3, they sound significantly softer. I convert my the music at a bit rate of 320 kbps, sample rate of 44.100 khz and chosing the highest quality.

Any idea why is this so? Thanks in advance!

Sean

dun use itunes... the encoder is crap in the first place... I recommend programs using the lame mp3 encoder to encod

Hi all,

I have a question regarding the conversion of audio cd to mp3. I tried doing a search of the forum but can't seem to find a post that will answer my question.

I use a apple powerbook and I convert my cds into mp3 via itunes. CDs sounds fine on my powerbook but when converted to mp3, they sound significantly softer. I convert my the music at a bit rate of 320 kbps, sample rate of 44.100 khz and chosing the highest quality.

Any idea why is this so? Thanks in advance!

Sean

Try this:

MP3GAIN cool.gif

Cheers

I doubt there's EAC for Mac available, what I did was to use xACT to first extract the CD to WAV files (xACT has the closest that uses cdda2wav (paranoia support)), from the WAV files you can either convert it into FLAC or mp3 encoded by iTunes-LAME.

If you don't mind other formats, can try encode it with AAC encoder in iTunes, AAC 224kbit/sec will be good enough and save you a lot of trouble, see this article comparing AAC and LAME encoded mp3, for you reading pleasure.

hi,

i just downloaded itunes-LAME and i wonder at what bit rate should i set? is the standard preset which encodes at 221kbps enough for the ipod? I'm using a 1st gen 10gb ipod btw, wonders if it makes any difference. Thanks!

you are referring to alt preset standard? yes, that's more than good enough - most people find it transparent. you might want to update your lame version to 3.97b2 and use the new q presets.

Thanks biggulp. I'm on version V3.96.1. I'm not too sure of how to go about doing the update? Would appreciate if you'd fill me in on the details. Thanks!

Sorry, i forgot to add that i'm currently using a Mac running on OSX version 10.4.6. Wonder if it helps. Thanks again.

If sound quality is not the issue here (since you were already encoding at 320kbps), then just use a utility to increase the volume of your music. Usually the process is called "normalizing" on programs such as Soundforge or Audacity.

Thanks biggulp. I'm on version V3.96.1. I'm not too sure of how to go about doing the update? Would appreciate if you'd fill me in on the details. Thanks!

Sorry, i forgot to add that i'm currently using a Mac running on OSX version 10.4.6. Wonder if it helps. Thanks again.

Obtain the latest version here:

http://www.rarewares.org/mp3.html

see here also, if you wish to use iTunes-LAME 2.0.8 with LAME 3.97b2:

http://alpharuin.blogspot.com/2006/01/guid...orrect-way.html