Sign in to follow this  
ablaze

Power Cords DIY

ehhee listen to music la

like me listen whole day also not bored

muahahha

or watch movies laugh.gif

How much affect would electrical mains power have? Is it ok to use a typical ring circuit or have a dedicated line from the Distribution board? Hoping to build my own house soon so...

A lot. Exspecially when your neighbour is running heavy electrical item.

I don't believe cable difference would mean a lot. The main thing for me is to isolate the electrical supply.

Adding big cap and coil would do much improvement... rolleyes.gif

i would look at belden 83322 for your cords.

16 guage twisted pair silver plated copper.. mmmm..

btw anyone know where to get mogami star quad in singapore?

http://mail.team108.com/

Call Helena or Susan before going down.

As for cables, my preference is pure copper over anything else.

How much affect would electrical mains power have? Is it ok to use a typical ring circuit or have a dedicated line from the Distribution board? Hoping to build my own house soon so...

Huge step towards sonic heaven! If U're able to start from scratch, this is one area U should pursue........even in current.............garbage in, garbage out. Also the need for less filtering will bode well for dynamics.

Edited by Mackie

Mackie,

83803 is a DOUBLE SHIELDED power cord, made alot of difference in the mid bass compared to other stock cords i tried.

There is an alternative recipe for 89259. It uses two runs of the centre conductor and white foam insulation. Twist em and terminate each run as ground and hot respectively. Less constrained soundstage and slightly more details and bass.

I also did the expensive red stiff belden cable and the other 19634 power cable.. But my degraded ears could not tell the diff between them.

Now I save some money by getting those 110V shielded cable from my company and change the head to our local standard 3 pin plug. Shielding is important if the power cable is running close to the interconnect. Don't want those EMI from power cord to leak into the signal cable.

jtfoo,

I've used the 83803 and even with its shielding, unshielded interconnects are affected. This wasn't audible even at louder than norm volumes but can be seen the behringer eq i had..

Best is to keep em all away from one another

jtfoo,

I've used the 83803 and even with its shielding, unshielded interconnects are affected. This wasn't audible even at louder than norm volumes but can be seen the behringer eq i had..

Best is to keep em all away from one another

Agree, best is to keep them apart. But you should see the mess behind my setup, simply a terror to keep them tidy. So kiasu abit, power cord shield, and interconnect also must shield.

But my experiece with video cable that the Belden 1694A has excellent shielding. I was lazy with runnning five runs of 5 metres 1694a for my VGA cable. So running parallel(horror) to it is a $1/m unshielded power cable. Amazin video quality with no signs of artifact and ghosting. Better than those 3m VGA cables that have distortion even when not close to the power cable.

Huge step towards sonic heaven! If U're able to start from scratch, this is one area U should pursue........even in current.............garbage in, garbage out. Also the need for less filtering will bode well for dynamics.

So your suggestion is that I have a dedicated line all the way from the electrical mains distribution board, rather than the normal ring circuit, to my 'listening post'. It should be ok assuming the mains DB is close. Any other things I should also consider? Like should I go normal 13Amp or 15Amp, special socket outlets etc.

although i am a bit sceptical about cables in general, it's not possible to change a power cord to change the current right? because my source is 110v and it's 240v here. i've been using a transformer for the past year or so, but from time to time the transformer is starting to make buzzing noises. im fearing the transformer will blow up and cook the cd player. is there an easy DIY conversion from 110v to 220 or 240v, not sure which one hehe?

thanks

N@Z, what do you mean by the distribution board? is this like where the electricity comes into the house? or just a socket in the wall?

If anybody is interested I have a full 9 (6-7pages each) documents explaining this and also if your keen on D.I.Y.

headphone.gif

So your suggestion is that I have a dedicated line all the way from the electrical mains distribution board, rather than the normal ring circuit, to my 'listening post'. It should be ok assuming the mains DB is close. Any other things I should also consider? Like should I go normal 13Amp or 15Amp, special socket outlets etc.

Yes Naz, go for the straight path from the distribution board. 13A is sufficient as only heavy duty appliances like air con needs 15A. If possible, get the hospital grade wall outlets. Otherwise, the conventional types are fine. What matters most is the quality of power supply.