Sign in to follow this  
Blues

Power cords . Do they make a difference?

hmm tests must be blindfolded and arbitary, if you guys are told there is a difference then you are expecting one. have mackie change the cables without telling you whilst you are listening. then you will actually hear a difference. also trick yourself, say it was changed but nothing is actually changed.

Let me describe how the test was conducted.

Eric was at my place auditioning the 880s and thereafter, a short session with my speakers rig. We proceeded with the power cord test.

I asked him to listen to his most familiar track on the same cd during his earlier audition.

Next, I took out a power cord and switched it. Nothing was said between us and I did not tell him the cord was a Belden and more than 10 times cheaper than the one being replaced.

He listened and removed the cans after 1 minute and said, "Is this cord supposed to be worse sounding?"

I said "So U heard a difference?". He requested a switch to the first power cord (MAS) and listened. He removed his cans after 1 minute and said, "Wow!".

He has no knowledge what the power cords were and their price brackets until the test was completed.

Whether he finds Belden is worse than MAS or vice versa is not the issue, main highlight of the test is.........he heard a difference and remember, Eric is a skeptic in this school of thought.

To put it into an analogy, is there a more superior life form than humans in outer space? No, cos we have yet to encounter them. Yes, to those who have supposedly seen UFOs. The truth is still out there.............

Guy,

If you want to hear distinct differences straightaway, use PS Audio's Power Plant P-300. Hook it to your CDP power point and you'll know that there is a new power angle to the sonic drive, with reconstruction and generation of distortation-free AC full sine-wave curves and phase control. It will definately be a complete discovery for you, guaranteed. wink.gif

eh? trying to rob a poor kid? rolleyes.gif

with 480 I will buy the tara labs ref gen II and still have some spare to buy cds!! lol.giflol.giflol.gif !!!

rite... northern oak... heeee heee hee biggrin.gif

how dare u expose my secret. take this hammer.gifhammer.gif

kyahkyahkyahh lol.giflol.gif ..

I will give the belden 1 more week to burn in and re-match shall begin smile.gif

I don't think they're fully burned in yet yesterday tongue.gif

Some thing I want to ask you Guyferd:

When you mention no difference, do you mean to say sonically it's the same across all attributes? For me, it's very distinctive that the Belden is laid back, by about 2 steps.

Another thing, did you check if your stock cord happens to be Belden 19364 as well ? biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

well, I did immediate A/B and to me both sounded EXACTLY the same. Yeah across the spectrum. that's why I suspect either it's not burned in or something..

I also didn't hear the laid-back sound.

My stock?? ohmy.gifohmy.gifohmy.gif

ahh........... err.... ...er... perhaps it IS a Belden w00t.gif

nay.. but I doubt so.. the belden is sooo much thicker..

oakley.. rite.. u r absolutely rite rolleyes.gif

on a more serious note. who knows my stock cable is of the same quality/on par with the belden quality??

so it's not the fault of the belden entirely lol lol.giflol.gifw00t.gif

My suggestion would be for you to try out more power cables before you make any conclusions ... who knows, perhaps UFO do exists! headphone.gif

great..so I can start selling my 3 dollar cable for 30 hihihi

not a bad business for a start biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

on a side note, yeah I believe UFo exists oakley!! I heard the oakley's frame technology is stolen from the crashed ufo ship unsure.gifunsure.gifunsure.gif ..

And the cool lenses were made from the alien eyeballs ... COOL! Okay, enough, OT OT OT.

Back to the topic:

The Belden cables ain't too expensive for a start so do try out more of them. Check out Bob Crump and Chris Ven Haus and their cables flavouring. One of them might just suit your taste.