Sign in to follow this  
afbug

The rechargeable batteries and charger thread!

Please contribute your experieces on them. AAA/AA/9V or player's batteries!

After spending much time (Really much time!) on Sat hunting for some cheap decent 9V charger, I've found a decent one/deal. So I tot I post some info about them here. Got them at SLS 2nd floor Huat Hin Elec. It is a small charger that can charge 2 blocks of 9V batts. Cheap! Charger alone cost me $12. So its features are also limited.

Brand: Powerone by Varta Microbattery

Cost :$12

Charging time: 8 hrs for 180mAh batt.

Input: 220-240 only

Output: 2 X 27.33mAh

Powerone 9V batts are quite ex at $15 for 180mAh. I think GP is only $10 for 160mAh. But i got the Powerone 9V batts anyway. Both are working fine till now after the first charge. At $12 only, I can live with a 8hrs charging time. :P GP's selling for $40 for a 10hrs charge and 2 pieces of 160mAh batts.

For AA batts, I only have a Sanyo 1.5 hrs charger. I think it is a very good charger as it can be used internationally without any convertor and it does not have a seperate module/adaptor like some other brands. It can charge 4 X AA and 2 X AAA.

For AA batts: My experience with the Sony blue stamina batts is very good. Best among my lot of Sanyo 2300, Maha 2200 and Konnoc 2500.

If you have the money to spend and like a fancy charger, get a Maha. For cheaper alternatives, nothing beats Sanyo. There are other brands like Camelion, Nexcell and Varta but I've no experience with them. I'm not impressed by GP's performance and price.

Edited by afbug

Good one afbug. Sat, I too was looking around for batteries. I saw some rechargables in EastGear over in level 2 Peninisular Plaza. They are mostly camera accessories but do stock chargers and rechargable batteries. They have Konnoc, Powerex (Maha) and Sanyo. Bought just a pair of Powerex AAA to test quality. $8 for the pair.

Maha is just a load of marketing. The Sanyos do very well for their price. If you need to really squeeze the last bit out of your batteries, go check with the R/C enthusiasts; they know everything about squeezing battery power from NiCD/NiMH batteries. I read some even build their own chargers...

heady, I was there after the lucky draw too! Wanted to get a Nexcell from them but sold out. :no:

As for Maha, their chargers look good but I dun own them, so no comment. I've their AA 2200mAh and AAA 800mAh batts and their performance is only average at best. For holding charge, they're the worst among the batts I've.

In my experience for batts holding charge, its Sony blue stamina -> Konnoc -> Sanyo -> Maha. My Maha batts go flat in less than 2 weeks. Sonys are last for 2 months.

Those Sanyo Enolope batts looks interesting.

Edit:

My Powerone batts are doing fine so far. Run them for 5 hrs 3/4 vol and standby for 15 hrs, then it goes flat. I guess its due to it not being not a true 9V. Only 8.4V. But I'm happy with its performance, I cannot (have not really try to detect) detect any difference SQ wise from a normal 9V batt. On a hindsight, I should've bought Maha's true 9V 200mAh batts at $20.

Edited by afbug

heady, I was there after the lucky draw too! Wanted to get a Nexcell from them but sold out. :no:

As for Maha, their chargers look good but I dun own them, so no comment. I've their AA 2200mAh and AAA 800mAh batts and their performance is only average at best. For holding charge, they're the worst among the batts I've.

In my experience for batts holding charge, its Sony blue stamina -> Konnoc -> Sanyo -> Maha. My Maha batts go flat in less than 2 weeks. Sonys are last for 2 months.

Those Sanyo Enolope batts looks interesting.

Edit:

My Powerone batts are doing fine so far. Run them for 5 hrs 3/4 vol and standby for 15 hrs, then it goes flat. I guess its due to it not being not a true 9V. Only 8.4V. But I'm happy with its performance, I cannot (have not really try to detect) detect any difference SQ wise from a normal 9V batt. On a hindsight, I should've bought Maha's true 9V 200mAh batts at $20.

afbug, very good info. Will look out for the 9V Maha when my current GP ones dies. Will remember your Sony recommendations

afbug, very good info. Will look out for the 9V Maha when my current GP ones dies. Will remember your Sony recommendations

heady, the Sony blue stamina ones are good but expensive. I think a cheaper Sanyo will be good enough. As the the Maha 9V batts, that Eastgear sales rep and website told me that it is a true 9V. So I dun really know if its really true or not. :P

I just realise my cheapo 9V charger has a primitive timer built in. Its desgined to cut off its power after 8hrs, no more, no less. lol So can only use with 170-180mAh as instructed in the manuel sheet. A 200mAh batt will not be fully charge i guess.

To those looking for good deals on batts and chargers, i think i found one and his prices are not bad.

http://forums.hardwarezone.com/showthread.php?t=1271937

I'm going to order some Eneloop from him to test out. Hope got stock.

Edited by afbug

Ooo, the Eneloops look interesting. 85% charge after 1 year!

Dunno if is it bull crap or not lol. Let you guys know if I got them. If really want to know whats the result after a year, it will be a long wait and i'm not willing to do pay $$$ for new batts and use once a year. :P If can hold charge for a few months, i'm more than happy.

K finally i found a supplier for a better 9V charger that confirm can use to charge the maha 9.6V battery. This is much more faster and intelligent charger which is not time base with tickle charge function Spec as below:

The charger is specially for charging 1 and 2 pieces of block 9V batteries. Other than delta voltage detection, it also has discharge function to prevent the memory building inside the battery. It plugs directly into the wall socket without any external AC adaptor.

Delta voltage detection is to prevent overcharging of the battery. When the battery is full, the IC in the charger will detect the change in voltage and several other parameters, and change the charge cycle from fast charge mode to trickle charge mode to prevent overcharging of battery.

Technical Specifications

Input Voltage: 230V AC LED Indication Table

Input Power : 4.7W Charging Current Table

Frequency : 50 Hz

Output Voltage : 9.8V

Output Power : 1.4VA

Supervision : -DV check

Discharge : Yes

Quick Charging Current : 70mA

Trickle Charging Current: 7mA

No. of Channels : 2

No. of batteries : 2

Battery Type : Ni-Cd/Ni-MH Battery

Battery Size : Block 9V

Input Method : Plug-In

Product Dimension : 98x64x91.75mm

Remarks : For 1-2 pcs of Block 9V Ni-Cd/Ni-MH Cells

Price is $25

afbug: eneloop's capacity is abt 2000 but the holding charge is impressive. i was contemplating getting them @ comex but i was in a rush missed them. :doh:

nakedtoes: priceless question, where is the location of the 9V batt charger? :P

Go-Vibe 5 it shall be...:yeah:

afbug: eneloop's capacity is abt 2000 but the holding charge is impressive. i was contemplating getting them @ comex but i was in a rush missed them. :doh:

nakedtoes: priceless question, where is the location of the 9V batt charger? :P

Go-Vibe 5 it shall be...:yeah:

Look at classified..

Does charger matter ?

I am using GP charger & batteries. Will I get the performance of the other brands of rechargable batteries by using my GP charger to charge.

Is it o.k to mix different brands of rechargable batteries together in one use ?

Is it true that the higher the AH of the rechargable battery, the longer is the usage ?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Jeremy