Sign in to follow this  
ablaze

Brunei mini-meet thread

Hang on for it guys!

Heres the situation, we've been busy of late so no time to complie the findings. Plus the DT880 vs HD600 (Clou Red) is considered null and void due to the fact the DT880's was prematurely pushed to the test smoke.gif

Probably be stale by the time I finish it. I'll post it in two parts say the PCDP shootout first followed by the DT880 Vs HD600+Clou red first impressions.

I just copy & paste it off Word if I finish it this evening. What about your impressions Mat?

N@z,

I'm stuck for words really! To be honest, I didn't take enough notes, not fun being the lab technician. You know what I mean wink.gif

Story of my life... so far I've only got notes transferred to the mac. Today was sh!t busy sorry I couldn't make it this afternoon. In the morning power was down from 9:30am till lunchtime so all work on the PC had to be carried forward to afternoon at my other office... yeesh! Just my luck.

hey guys. take it easy k. its just for fun. its not going to be graded smile.gif

but thanks in advance for all the hard work thumbup1.gif

Well, here it is... enjoy.

Disclaimer:

This is just my impression not a review. As I’m not very good at conveying exactly what I hear, but I tried my best to try to keep it as simple as possible. My impressions are based on scribbles as I heard it & on things that I normally listen out for.

PART I - PCDP showdown

Music used:

Sting – All this time (live in Tuscany), track - Fragile

Depeche Mode – Exciter, tracks – Dream on & I feel loved

Chieftains – The wide world over CD

EJ925 -> Eggos (directly from headphone out)

Conjested. Strings on the Sting CD sound like dirty with dust, lacks clarity or muted. I couldn’t listen for very long as it was not very pleasant.

D777 -> Eggos (-do-)

Less congested, better power output from the headphone out i.e. louder at the same volume setting I had it about 1/2 way up. Strings sound slightly better (better attack) but at the expense of slight harshness but probably due to Eggos character. Sound is slightly airier than before & more bearable to listen to longer.

D777 -> Marketek mini to mini -> kurtW Meta(AD8620, dual EL2001/channel) -> DT880

DM & Sting – The DT880 makes the sound seem huge, open & crisp sound especially highs on cymbals. Basslines are very easy to follow than before. Acoustic guitar has nice attack on plucking/picking. There seemed a lot more going on in the background. Bass sounded slower though & lacks punch. The DT880 does not sound bright at all in this combination.

Chieftains – relaxed sound, presentation more laid back like HD600 from memory as I usually use etys for this CD which sound more upfront. Acoustic instruments sound less crisp but natural sounding. There was a slight grain at the top end on Sinead O’Connor’s vocals & slight distortion at the low end of bass drums (Post script: this was a fault of the old D777 as this was not heard on the EJ925 & DT880 combination). This combination is better for long term listening as the presentation is warmer but there is still a good amount of detail heard. Certain aspects good like bass extension but less impact. Seperation sounds good but I felt the overall sound lacks weight but it is a PCDP after all.

EJ925 -> Marketek mini to mini -> kurtW Meta -> DT880

DM – Brighter less bass extension but sounds weightier, very similar except for the brighter sound although not overly maybe a bit of a strain over longer listening sessions. D777 highs seems a tad rolled off compared with EJ925 has more headroom. Presentation is a lot more forward.

CT – Instruments seems better separated on D777 & stringed instruments stand out too. Confirmed grainy top end & distorted bass on D777 & not headphones as it was not highlighted on the same song here.

Conclusion

Sound of the EJ925 is conjested compared to D777 which is warmer & more musical but the pace seems slower. The D777 edges the EJ925 slightly & wins by sounding more enjoyable be it unamped or amped. Different character/combination of headphone & amp may sway the verdict but probably not by much.

Photos will come shortly.

Here comes the first set of photos...

The eggos & D777

DSCF0001.jpg

some of the gear again

DSCF0004.jpg

D777 -> Marketek mini to mini -> KurtW Meta -> DT880 (out of view) with Depeche Mode Exciter CD

DSCF0005.jpg

Same again with D-EJ925 PCDP

DSCF0010.jpg

Close-up of my PCDP

DSCF0012.jpg

And finally for now, close-up of my META & the 'Altoids' external 2x 9V battery pack.

DSCF0015.jpg

hey nice review

so in short, d777 is the nicest sounding eh?

hm..