viix

Another newbie amp reccommendation..

Hi! I've been lurking around headfi & sgheadphones for quite sometime now.

I'm currently interested in getting a new set of amps and/or can.

Currently I've got the MS1s & and Akg k81dj.

I like the MS1 as they are the sweetspot for almost everything I listen to. As for the k81, I have a love-hate relationship with this basshead.

Now I'm currently listening to electro clash, swing, jazz, soul, lounge & vocals including some old presses and recordings. My MS1s seems to be ok with these music (some great, some soso considering the wide genre) but the k81 are only good with electro and some less bassy soul/lounge/jazz stuff I play that requires the warm flavour.

My amp has only been the pa2v2 which pairs well with the ms1s for some genres. A big nono with the k81.

I have a budget of around $500 - $800 just for amps (but from the budget probably towards diy)

Option 1.) Get 1 neutral amp with 2 different phones on top of my pa2v2.

Option 2.) Get 2 different sounding amps.

Now the questions,

- I'm looking for a more neutral sounding solidstate amp away for the pa2v2 flavour, (leaning towards alittle warm is ok) and/or tube hybrid to pair off with maybe a k701 or 601.

Is there any amp that would pair well with these?

- I've heard great stuff about the beyer 990 but since I've been put off by the k81 bassheads, I'm alittle worried that I might not like the sound. I'm open to them but I would like to narrow down on amp choices before diving into auditoning the new cans.

- As I have some old pressings, I've read that the PPa have some 3d sounding effect "quote Kippei" that might take some listening fatigue away from the music? Is that the effect of crossfeeds/crossover? I've the older recording encoded lossless on my rockboxed Ipod with crossfeed plugin and it gave a more pleasurable listening. But I leaning towards a home setup as opposed to the software ipod way. I just felt the ipod makes the music sound dead (looks like I'm into the tube flavour)

- I've seen the corda mkII and Headroom micro options, but was wondering if the option to have our fellow forumers DIY some amps/hybrid amp like the ppa or millet hybrid with a variable crossfeed for my music. I'm a noob and have little electronics background to DIY on my own, plus sourcing for the parts is as good as being lost in a foreign land!

I've search through the forums and have narrowed to these option;

1. Get a DIYed tube hybrid with variable crossfeed circuit for my jazz/vocal stuff (electro just doesn't need amps with the k81). Any recommendations? Any diyers here interested to help?

2. Go solidstate and either get off the shelf amps/diy a solidstate, analytical amp, again leaning to one with variable crossfeeds.

I'm an airhead so soundstaging is very important. I've notice most people here are bassheads, considering I find the MS1s to better with the bowl pads than modded 414 on a bassy Pa2v2, jus to give you guys an idea of what sound I'm leaning towards.

should I get an all round neutral amp to pair with a bassy beyer and k701

or a diy tube amp for vocals /old recordings and a solidstate for the rest.

Any seasoned listener to give me any opinions?

Edited by viix

*well, to sum up

I wanna try DIY amps from our fellow forumers here, but have no idea what they sound like or which is better. I was thinking getting a DIY tube/solidstate or a hybrid amp, with crossfeeds *important feature* lol.

if not possible, than I will decide getting off the shelves amps with recommendations from forumers here.

I need one that can drive both high and low impedance cans, has good staging & seperation & if possible have synergys with both neutral and dark cans. But it must be as accurate and neutral as possible. I not looking for something that can, say, give a bass boost to a non bassy can or a bright amp for a bassy darth bayer. it would defeat the whole purpose of buying that particular can anyway.

Edited by viix

Perhaps you can contact firefox about your diy amp needs, or just buy the one in my avatar :))

PM me for more details.

But it must be as accurate and neutral as possible.

Frankly, have you tried what "neutral" sounds like?

My personal opinion is that you learn more about sonic signatures and this hobby by trying out the headphones and amps alike that are highly recommended in the review section of the forum and reading through the comments on them by the reviewers and others- only then will you be able to make an informed choice with your purchase.

Frankly, have you tried what "neutral" sounds like?

My personal opinion is that you learn more about sonic signatures and this hobby by trying out the headphones and amps alike that are highly recommended in the review section of the forum and reading through the comments on them by the reviewers and others- only then will you be able to make an informed choice with your purchase.

Well, my benchmark for neutral is the sound I get when I played my materials in the recording studio at my workplace via the monitor speakers.

I am very used to that "neutrality" which I work with at the mastering studio. I did audition some amps and headphones and the AKGs 701 driven from the output of the emu & mixer at work were the closest in terms of what I term as neutral.

Now the thing is I'm A/Bing it to speakers in a soundproof room, so it's impossible to expect that soundstage that why I'm looking for some crossfeed circuit in the amp.

*ps my neutral is probably somewhat sterile, clean kind of sound? But I would like a little more airiness in the music.

(I kinda like to hear my music as if I was in a quiet park, light and airy.... not the kind as if I were in the hospital, that soundproof room kinda quietness where you talk and the sound is swallowed into the walls if you get what I mean)

My pa2v2 make everything a bass heads, ms1s were musical. so now I want neutral. Anything beside staying at work listening in the void-like quiestness?

Edited by viix

If you like the neutrality of K701, will you end up getting it? It matters cos this cans is pretty hard to drive, much akin to passive studio monitors like Dynaudio Acoustics BM6P. There's another option though ie, Beyer DT150 but it's closed back design and thus may not be what you are seeking as soundstage width will not be as wide as open-back designs like K701 and DT990. DT880 (the old version) stands in the middle and definitely easier to drive than K701.

I think you are really sensitive to any mid bass bloom as PA2V2 does not sound boomy to me. Nevertheless, I recommend Original Master headphone amplifier (solid state) and perhaps Xiang Sheng 708A/B (tube based-very slightly warmer and more open sounding). Both cost in the region of S$250. If crossfeed is a requirement, look at Corda amps. Do note that crossfeed will not expand soundstage width and in fact, shrinks it for the sake of greater soundstage depth. Imagine pulling a 16:9 widescreen picture backwards to extend depth but width shrinks to 4:3......just a round analogy, hope you get my idea. Stick to open-back designs if soundstage width is significant to you.

Edited by Mackie