Sign in to follow this  
razerx

Power Supply for META

I am looking for a 24v dc power supply for my META soon to arrive from the US. Since this is a pretty popular DIY unit what kind of power supplies should I use with it? Is there a particular brand of 220/230/240v wall wart that is known for low noise? Thanks!

razerx,

Hmmm...sounds familiar!

welcome.gif to SGH!! You're HK based right? How's your RS-1 and RA-1?

If it's built by fiddler (I have read) you can ask him to build a regulated dual rail 230VAC in 24VDC out Power Supply....... I dont know about the others!

You can try emailing tigger another Canadian based amp builder. Hope this helps!

And let us know how it goes wink.gif

Mat

Edited by matbon0013

Posting your specs would help especially what op-amp your amp is using. If it is the AD8620 you might not be able to use the common generic 24V wallwarts as some of them are outputting more than 30v at the jack, the AD8620 cannot take anything more than 27v.

You can temporarily use most 'filtered' 12v wallwart which normally outputs up to 18v which is basicall 2x 9v batteries & work ok on most METAs unless you have more than quad 2002 buffers per channel or a really power hungery op-amp!

hi, care to share the specs of your meta42 and who its built by? yes.gif

It is a mulit-loop META42 with crossfeed built by JMT.

- AD843KN op-amp

- Stacked EL2001 output buffers

- Elna Cerafine 470µF caps

- WIMA 6.8µF reservoir caps

- Current source to bias to Class A

- Vishay/Dale RN55D 14ohm potentiometer

- Neutrik 1/4" locking headphone jack

- Cardas gold plated RCA inputs

razerx,

Hmmm...sounds familiar!

welcome.gif to SGH!! You're HK based right? How's your RS-1 and RA-1?

If it's built by fiddler (I have read) you can ask him to build a regulated dual rail 230VAC in 24VDC out Power Supply....... I dont know about the others!

You can try emailing tigger another Canadian based amp builder. Hope this helps!

And let us know how it goes wink.gif

Mat

Small world tongue.gif I have a feeling I am going to be happy here. headphone.gif

I never got on with the RA-1 so I sold it. I have heard nothig but praises about the RS-1/RA-1 combo so it must be me. Anyway I got the META as a dedicated amp for the RS-1. Right now I am listening to my HD600/Equinox with X-CANS v2/Mullards/X-PSU. They seem to go pretty well together but the RS-1 sounds terrible with the X-CANS. I also have a Gilmore V2 SA coming.

That fiddler thread on Head-Fi was how I found this cool Singapore sight party.gif

Having a power supply built would be great but then the total cost would be more than a Gilmore V2.

I'm using 2X 12v seal lead acid batteries for my Meta42. They last almost forever and they're cleaner than any AC->DC regulators. All you need is a simple diy on the power cable to attach the DC-in to the batteries

Posting your specs would help especially what op-amp your amp is using. If it is the AD8620 you might not be able to use the common generic 24V wallwarts as some of them are outputting more than 30v at the jack, the AD8620 cannot take anything more than 27v.

You can temporarily use most 'filtered' 12v wallwart which normally outputs up to 18v which is basicall 2x 9v batteries & work ok on most METAs unless you have more than quad 2002 buffers per channel or a really power hungery op-amp!

Well if no proper 24v wallwart is available I would have a power supply made. Else I would get this nagging feeling whether imaged or not that something is not right when I plug it in. This is precisely the desease which causes me to buy aftermarket power cables. blink.gif

jtfoo's suggestion would be best actually since it is pure DC power. Thanks for reminding me, I'm gonna try that out as soon as I get round to buying the batteries & alligator clips!

Afraid not, unless you're using the unsealed car or motorbike battery which will be fairly big to huge in size! The fact that it can last for months is the reason for using it assuming you don't leave your amp powered on 24/7.

As a matter of fact, the seal lead acid (SLA) can be recharge. The number of cycle it can recharge is more than those NiMH 9V battery. It also capable for higher current output(not that you need all of them), which is good for speed and dynamics and those deep bass.

Only downside is the initial cost. One 12V 4AH SLA would cost about $30, maybe less. You need 2 for 24V. And the charger would cost another like $50. And some cost to diy a cable with spade receptables at one end and a mini DC-in at the other end.

razerx, how much is your meta? in USD.

I promised JMT not to divulge the price. You can PM him at Head-Fi to get a quote.

I asked JMT if he can rig a power pack to take three 9v batteries. Since rechargeables are more like 8.4 volts i guess it should work.