Sign in to follow this  
razerx

Power Supply for META

This is the one jtfoo means

user posted image

I use them on my (total loss ignition system) in board marine motor. Imagine the cranking power on this babies (high current) can't remember the exact specs. w00t.gif

I haven't tried applying it on Audio equipments yet maybe I should start headphone.gif

Both of your opamp and buffer can handle up to +-15V. You want me to build a 24V dc supply using ac mains?

If yes, I would build the power supply as same as the Gilmore V2 SA power supply. Kevin claim it would be quiter than battery. biggrin.gif

razerx, how much is your meta? in USD.

I promised JMT not to divulge the price. You can PM him at Head-Fi to get a quote.

hmmm...must be quite a deal then huh??

wink.gif

A simple liner regulated power supply should suffice. There are limits to the META 42 design you know LOL. Anything more would be a waste of money - unless you wish to use it for another amp that will benefit from it. Have listened to mazed out meta 42 with increased battery ps. I don't think you can hear any difference between them if your DC linear regulated transformer outputs more than 18 volts.

Correct. Building one good regulated power supply would be definately less than $50. Here is the cost:

1. transformer dual output $10.00

2. LM317 and LM327 $2

3. rectifier X 2 $1

4. Resistor $2

5. Cap $3

6. PCB $1

7. Connector $4

8. Metal box $10

Adding other Gilmore recommend part would add another estimate $50.00

So it is possible to build one 240vAC~+-24vDC.

Jason have you done this, wanna build one and let me test it? wink.gif

Edited by matbon0013

Err... You sure you want +-24V? That is a total 48V, I won't guarantee your meta42 won't fry. tongue.gif

If you meant 0V and 24V, will build one at minimal mark-up for my first customer... biggrin.gif

What opamp and buffer you're using?

Jason, Mat's META cannot take more than +-13.5V safer at +-12V assuming the transformer, wallwart or whatever does not output total over 27V.

Jason, OpAmp AD8620, Buffers EL2002CN (4 stacked/channel)!

First customer test with option to buy? naughty.gif

Sure. If you don't like it you can return to me. It can be use for my future PPA... biggrin.gif

The output will safely maintain at 24V and will change 1~2 percent after a few years when component started to age. 24V is safe as your buffer max 30V and AD8620 max 27.3V.

I saw your mint and it only takes in 9V battery, would you like me to have the output configure as 9V connector so you no need to do any more modification?

Just for your info; I added line filter in it. The power supply can also configure to take in 120V if you have a small screw driver... yes.gif

Our current generic wallwarts are overkill at 1000mA max.

It always good to have reserve current capability.. but having high current capability is only one factor the wallwart has. I assume most wallwart would have poor regulation and filtering. from 18V, put on a load it can dropped to 12V type of poor regulation.

I asked JMT to rig a power pack that takes three 9v batteries. 3 x 8.4v rechargeables is close enough to 24v. I guess that solves it. Thanks to all who replied.