Sign in to follow this  
Guest davidcsk2112

Why those music players in HMV sound so good

Guest davidcsk2112

I've been shopping at HMV over the past few days and listening to those in-store players with featured CDs. I couldn't help wondering - why on earth do those freaking headphones (can't remember the model, but it's Sony and has a 900PRO somewhere) sound as good as my DT990?

Is it the source? Or is it my ears that prefer something closer to a studio-based headphone? Even Koss headphones in Borders sound RATHER decent given their price. Has anyone had a similar experience, or am I the only headphone user with an identity crisis? :blink:

Edit: Aha! I've found the exact Sony headphone model. It's the Sony MDR-V900 Pro. You can view it here.

Edited by davidcsk2112

U should head for the classical section at Heeren HMV and give them Spendor speakers a listen.

Very nice with jazz.

Unless they have changed the headphones from the time I last visited, I recall that most of them had boomy bass, muddy mids and little treble. Nowhere near audiophile quality, but the bass is good enough to make most pop/rock music sound good for the average consumer. IMHO of course.

Well, I don't know about you, but I realise when I'm listening during a crowded day, the music sounded good. I'm not in an analytical mood hence psycologically I thought it sounded better than my home setup. I was less critical. But come, say, during the opening where

1. there is almost nobody,

2. they haven't broadcast their HMV radio over the store av system

I find they are soso; boomy bass, muddy mids and little treble.

I guess it's because during transit or when I'm out shopping, my mind and ears are pretty fatigue from the crowded noise of urban singapore hence I'm less critical during the listening.

Thats weird. I Found those at the heeron shops horrible. At higher volumes they sounds goes horribly distorted. Awful for testing in my opinion.

I think the distortion is due to damaged drivers, which is pretty common considering the way some patrons crank up the volume and leave the cans running.

Guest joi-ful

o.O

Dunno if i'm the only one but it seems than ALL the headphones I've tried at HMV/Popular/Sembawang have damaged drivers. The distortion and scheeching of the phones made it untolerable for me to listen to after 30s. No audiophile here but still I think they sounded really bad

their players probably come with srs, with exaggerations on the midbass etc, sounds pretty lush, depends on the type of sound you like. to me its pretty decent at least.

maybe cuz i've been listening to details, and the flatter response of the dt880s, and after a while it becomes boring. but by my hearing, although faulty at times, the sound at hmv seems a little more holographic, less compressed than several headphone systems i had came across, although lacking in desired tonal quality.

exciting :P

wil : yah.. i liked those spendors.. wow if only they are going to retire the spendors and organize a sale i might try to grab a pair. they have like.. 8 pairs+ in use.. forgot to count..

wil : yah.. i liked those spendors.. wow if only they are going to retire the spendors and organize a sale i might try to grab a pair. they have like.. 8 pairs+ in use.. forgot to count..

Yah! if only man...From what i last heard, they arent selling.. <_<

I'm almost certain the players are very equalized to produce a sound that is very warm and pleasant. I'm guessing this has something to do with maximizing sales.

I've been shopping at HMV over the past few days and listening to those in-store players with featured CDs. I couldn't help wondering - why on earth do those freaking headphones (can't remember the model, but it's Sony and has a 900PRO somewhere) sound as good as my DT990?

Is it the source? Or is it my ears that prefer something closer to a studio-based headphone? Even Koss headphones in Borders sound RATHER decent given their price. Has anyone had a similar experience, or am I the only headphone user with an identity crisis? :blink:

Edit: Aha! I've found the exact Sony headphone model. It's the Sony MDR-V900 Pro. You can view it here.

Many setups fail when listening at lower volumes.

Your listening volumes at HMV are likely to be much higher than when you're home. Hence, the setup there has a much better chance of performing if your home setup iisn't up to mark.

Next, you do not yet know where your sonic preference lies. As you audition and try various headphones and amps, you'll start to find what kind of sound you like. Then you can get a higher-end headphone setup according to your preference.

First and foremost, Beyer cans have all along been studio based ie, sound wise.

I reckon the difference may be one's state of mind. David finds his experience in HMV pleasurable because he was not there to scrutinise every nuance, tone and detail but listening to the music in the raw. Similarly, hardcore audiophiles gauge musicality of a hifi system by how it makes the listeners tap their feet. However, a simple transistor radio can induce the same effect if your favourite song/music is broadcasted.