Sign in to follow this  
jig_sg

Dared MP-5 Tube Headphone Amp with USB DAC

Haha.. backside itchy and decided to email Julia to enquire, she replied me so fast that I didnt have ime to think and bought it on impulse. But then, on hindsight, not so much an impulse anymore... they definitely sound good. Well, at least good as before my next upgrade; not too soon though. Tried it on with a pair of UM-1, HF-1s and DT990. A bit bright on th DTs though; but then again the amp and the DTs have yet to burned in. Listened to James Blunt's "You're Beautiful" and the guiter sounds more crisp; bass also more apparent. But of course, the DTs have less ear-fatigue.

squalle, roger that! Or how about a cheap Firestone DAC? Or you also want tubey ah? :P

jig_sg, how much you paid in total? I was asking why not MO the MP-5, so cheaper? Is it really that wide as in the picture? What headphones you using with it?

Paid about S$288 incl. shipping; abit higher than some of the guys in Xtreme Place, who paid about $260 - $270. The difference was due to bank charges. I used OCBC while the others used DBS. Size wise, its about 26cm across by 13cm and stands at 12cm at the highest point. Actually, its smaller than I expected. I am using a DIY Canare headphone plug-to-rca cable connected to my 0404.

ya lor ownself buy own set then we sit here drool at what you buy! lol

How's the LD2?

Edited by jig_sg

Wooden crate more sturdy? or maybe its cheaper for them to use crate than foam. Anyways, jsut received my Dared MP-5 yesterday. Woohoo... Interested in the Darkvoice too if MO does go thru.

You having amp fever ah? :lol: I tot going to MO the MP-5 or Darkvoice? So how is the MP-5? Man all those tubes got me intrigued! LD2+, Dared MP-5 and this Darkvoice......

Anyway those Darkvoice are shipped triple boxed in those pics! Got a shipping box, wooden crate and original manufacturer's box.

No la, just wanna compare the 2. Then keep whichever I prefer and sell the other lor. Well, the MP-5 is the only tube headphone amp I have, cannot really give a good comparison. HOwever, straight out from PC the sound is definitely more musical and vocals sound better.

Not sure if this would be helpful to you guys, the Dared MP5 is no longerin production. you can check theri website, its no longer there. Emailed Julia today to find out that they are coming out with a newer model with more function in september.

can the firestone DAC play straight out from the pc.

Not sure if this would be helpful to you guys, the Dared MP5 is no longerin production. you can check theri website, its no longer there. Emailed Julia today to find out that they are coming out with a newer model with more function in september.

can the firestone DAC play straight out from the pc.

Oops, lucky me? or unlucky me?

yes it can

hmm... was auditing the LD2 and the XiangSheng then when i was about to purchase but settled for the XiangSheng. The LD2 sounds pretty decent too i must say with the AKG 501

i have msg a few of the dark voice suppliers including the main company in chengdu, i hope i get an answer tomorrow.

i have msg a few of the dark voice suppliers including the main company in chengdu, i hope i get an answer tomorrow.

I will hope and pray with you!

I will hope and pray with you!

I do be interested in the DarkVoice too..

DarkVoice is for headphone amp?Can use as pre-amp or not?

Is there any website to check the product ?

Edited by jojo

am also interested to find out how the various tube headmps compare: Dared, various Little Dots, Darkvoice and Xiangsheng (since most are under $300).

would be glad to throw in my Xiangsheng 708B for a comparison ...