Sign in to follow this  
genocide

nEar 04 speakers

To get decent bass out of a bookshelf, especially a small one, a subwoofer is essential. Speakers are multiple drivers. Very few feature single driver, in fact, I never seen one except those cheap car speakers. This nEar 04 have 2 drivers. One tweeter and another midrange/woofer. A 4 inch woofer will not shift/move enough air. Anyway, good bass you feel it, not hear it. You'll feel a subwoofer and hear less. And so subwoofer placement is not so critical as you don't hear it. Cheap subs, you hear them. Good ones, you feel them. And subs have different designs too. Some feature twin 10 inch drivers, some have a single 30 inch one. Some are bass reflex, some are sealed, some are ported.

In a cinema, you don't hear the woofer. Bass seem to come from almost directions. Rel Acoustics subs are good but probably out of the price range of many.

Bass is not JUST bass. There are upper bass, mid bass and low bass. And all the details, layering etc. What the nEar 04 give you is probably upper bass at best. I doubt it can go any lower. I think its more like a sub/sat system.

Nicely put. There would be no better test than to actually hear good bass along with your music. I'm not talking about boomy, muddy, flabby bass you sometimes get with el cheapo "multimedia" 2.1 speakers. I guarantee you that you'll be able to hear the difference. You'll just know. The difference will be night and day :P

I must also hasten to add that this is not a put-down of the nEar 04 speakers....after all, I did buy a pair after listening to them! The transparency and clarity of sound it produces were fantastic for its size - you just have to be aware of its limitations. I love it for guitar and female vocal recordings.

hmmm interesting. perhaps jaben could bring in a esi subwoofer to audition?

Well actually, monitor speakers were not meant to produce any serious bass. Period. Simply put; in an audio engineering sense; bass is mostly limited to almost inaudible vibrations that give some form of adrenaline and tempo/pace to a piece. Monitor speakers are designed to reproduce as accurately whatever that is audible, sacrifising a little here and there. They not meant to be musical. They are meant so I know how much adjustment I should make besides watching my vu meter on possible clipping.

Subs just spoils the magic of monitor speakers. try listening to recordings that has both very low and high volumes of voices, example some of bjorks or accapella tracks and you'd know putting a sub in the chain is just gonna make you miss alot of detail.

And about the bass that is already in the music is there, just probably the perception of it has been very badly polluted by too much of the hifi sub and loud club culture of today.

Attend any live sessions, the bass ain't that heavy, but when listening to it from a player, even I might have a tendacy to turn up the sub a little more than realistic.

lol. Yes, monitor speakers are more for 'work' purposes and less enjoyment. For you to listen to the impt mids. Very accurate in this region. But if you missing the bass, how can you call this an accurate presentation? Especially most music have bass. So it will not be as engaging or exciting as a full range speakers. Its like a bass/treble roll off. Anything below 80Hz etc, all MIA. If you want accurate speakers with decent bass, can try Moniter Audio's metal series. But its in a whole different ball park against the nEar speakers.

http://www.monitoraudio.com/

I've heard the ESIs during the show.

Somehow the bass is more tight than those bloomy Peavey speakers.

Well, to me it's not bad.

Anyway, afbug have u heard the nEar 04s before?

Just chipping in.

Hi guys, may I know is these speakers supposed to be placed same level as our ears? I'm considering to get this after having auditioned it just today! :DD

If i were to place them on my computer table, will it affect it's potential?

Thanks alot guys!

Nicholas :cans:

i have the 06s on my table. you can read my review on another thread :) but all i can say is that they sound really nice too :)

sorry to dig up an old thread. am interested in these speakers.

does the nEar use the same connectors as normal pc speakers (single green plug) or do i need something else?

btw, Wilson from Jaben seems to have disappeared completely from these forums. why??