ablaze

X-can V2 @alpha audio today

well, as a precursor, read this

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread....&threadid=27977

basically, I was having this weird problem. the entire enclosure, and especially the volume knob was extremely "microphonic" ie. if I just lightly touched the amp, especially the knob, I'd get this metallic "clang" transmitted thru, and amplified, into my headphones! at first I had no idea what it was, but later found out from fellow head-fi-ers that it was a COMMON problem called "tube microphonics"..basically the tubes are the cause of it, either loose pins on them or something. At first I wasn't going to bother (cos as long as you didn't touch the amp, there was no problem)..but after thinking about it, I decided I shouldn't live with a less than perfect amp.

SO, I headed down to Alpha Audio today @SLS (not the adelphi branch) told them the problem. they checked it out, compared with their demo set (which interestingly had the same problem, although to a lesser degree..tubes rolleyes.gif) and agreed to check it out for me. I asked for an exchange since it was so new, but they were adamant, saying it was a over a week and they couldn't exchange anymore. then after awhile, they changed their stance and told me "oh we don't have any stock anymore"

me: "no stock?"

guy: "yeah, no stock"

me: "how about I go over to your adelphi branch?" (someone just posted that there were TWO pieces left at adelphi ..just yesterday I think)

guy: "oh, they don't have stock there either"

me: "but one of my friends just said there were two pieces there"

guy: "oh..(thinks a bit) they just sold it. (thinks some more) IN FACT, these are so sellable one guy came over the weekend and bought BOTH I think" (me thinking: right. how convenient. i mention they have stock there. two in fact, and he tells me immediately that both are sold, to the same person in fact. RIGHT. dry.gif )

so I reluctantly agreed to let them let their technician check it out and left. Who wants to bet with me that if you call their adelphi branch now, they'll still tell you they have 2 pieces left? rolleyes.gif goddam sls sales people..when it comes to sales..very friendly, very quick..when it comes to problems with the products..this is the kinda bull we get. dry.gif

ANYWAY, just when I left the building, they called my HP, and told me they miraculously found a new piece for me and for me to come back and do the exchange. I'm guessing they checked with their boss, and the boss figured it was easier to just let me have the new one, instead of sending it for servicing.. innocent.gif and i bet they had more than enough stock at hand, and just were unwilling to exchange a new one for me innocent.gif thats SLS for you..

luckily the new one I have now has ZERO microphonics. which is the one saving grace today

holiday.gif

Why the sad face ting? It had a happy ending to his tale.

hi ablaze,

I was at Adelphi about a week ago and at that time I saw two X-Can V2 there.

I went to Adelphi today, about 4.30pm and guess what... there's an X-Can V2 right on the shelf, together with one X-PSU, two X-LP2 and two X-LP. READ IT ... ONE X-CAN V2 available right on the display shelf. dry.gif

Edited by Northern Oak

Did not have a chance to try, I went to buy the K501.

where you bought the k501 from? how much?

thanks

Congrats,

K-501 is a good can. Let it run it for at least 48 hours - preferably 100 - 150 hours (I'm not kidding). This will burn in the cans. Do this at low volume for the first 24 hours then at moderate volume (normal listening level) for the rest. Do not play it too loud esp when its new (you can damage it though very unlikely).

Also if there are any problems, they nornally surface in the first 48 hours. Get a mono track to test that they are balanced (same loudness from each driver).

Do you have a multimeter ready.

Rameish,

Thanks for the advice. Will run-in the K501.

dqps,

I bought it for S$250 but I did not bargain with the salesperson. Perhaps you can give it a try. The shop is Asia Sound at Adelphi, 4th floor. but I am uncertain whether that was the last piece as I saw only one on the shelf. Their number is 6338-7562 so do give them a call before you go over.