Sign in to follow this  
palestofwhite

Westone Questions...

Those silver/green things are filters. No need to change if they're intact. They will distingrate when expose to too much moisture I guess and clean the unsing the wax loop should be fine.

If you want to use silica gel, get a dry box (For cameras) and add some silica gel. You can buy those bottled ones or packeted ones. IF feeling rich, can try the Westone deluxe case. I sometimes store mine in a digicabi or don't care, just hang somewhere. :smoke:

Those silver/green things are filters. No need to change if they're intact. They will distingrate when expose to too much moisture I guess and clean the unsing the wax loop should be fine.

If you want to use silica gel, get a dry box (For cameras) and add some silica gel. You can buy those bottled ones or packeted ones. IF feeling rich, can try the Westone deluxe case. I sometimes store mine in a digicabi or don't care, just hang somewhere. :smoke:

oh ya ... where to get replacement silica gel pouches for the westone delux case arh ?

oh ya ... where to get replacement silica gel pouches for the westone delux case arh ?

Try asking Aron or online but must get the original ones meh? Just get a small ziplock bag, poke a few holes in it and add some silica gel la. Or buy those silica gel in packet form.

If you want to reuse/reactivate silica gel, you can try to microwave it for the Westone one or fry it in a frying pan for those loose ones. But I never try before, so if anything goes wrong, don't blame me. :P

Try asking Aron or online but must get the original ones meh? Just get a small ziplock bag, poke a few holes in it and add some silica gel la. Or buy those silica gel in packet form.

If you want to reuse/reactivate silica gel, you can try to microwave it for the Westone one or fry it in a frying pan for those loose ones. But I never try before, so if anything goes wrong, don't blame me. :P

Kao ... original one seems expensive hor ... where to get those packet ones ... easier to dispose that way

Kao ... original one seems expensive hor ... where to get those packet ones ... easier to dispose that way

Try camera shops? But since you already have those bottled ones, just reuse them la. You can try reactivating them in a microwave. Once done, place some in a small zip bag and use a airtight container. For more info on microwaving them, try researching at Clubsnap forums. There got many experts who've done and research on such topics before. :P Dunno Westone or UE also recommends microwaving it. So it will be alright.

You can buy those cheap small airtight container from NTUC. Those with 4 clasps at each corner. Or a more rugged Pelican 1010 case. Pelican 1010 case can buy from Shears. Oppsite Shaw Towers.

Actually if you change the position of the filters, you can change the sound of your Westone. I've asked Westone before while I got my cable replaced but they don't do it for customers cos the sound might not be what you or they wanted. So don't try to change..... damaged or warranty void don't blame me. :P

Wah Wilson, you're a silica gel expert! I personally never try frying or microwaving them. :P

Ok , i'll try to microwave the silicagel pack in the deluxe case ... will the plastic melt ?

I would think that if you have a lot of silicagel and you microwave it with the casing battened down, it may just explode like an egg. The vapor pressure may just pop the casing open and shatter the glass. BTW, microwaves can destroy your eyeball if the oven is leaking and you are peering at it. So check your oven for leakage.

Wah Wilson, you're a silica gel expert! I personally never try frying or microwaving them. :P

Use to buy them by the drums and repack them into small containers years and years ago :))

but the silica gel pack is removable , right ? So can i just throw in the silica gel pack ?

Some are some are not... just make sure there are no metal parts otherwise someone in your family might get very upset when they have a busted oven.

well ... we have busted 3 fridges liao ... :D ... an oven is nothing ...

yeah ... i'm just afraid that the plastic will melt ... which is really scary , stinky and very hard to clean

I think it'll be good to juz cut the plastic packaging open and just microwaving the silica gel in a microwave container. After that then transfer them into a porous material as Uncle Wilson mentioned. Safer that way i think as plastics will melt in a microwave.

It really depends on the type and thickness of plastic used. Certain plastics used in microwaves will melt/warp. From the FDA: Plastic storage containers such as margarine tubs, take-out containers, whipped topping bowls, and other one-time use containers should not be used in microwave ovens. These containers can warp or melt, possibly causing harmful chemicals to migrate into the food. However i could be wrong as i've never done tests using different kinds of plastics in microwave to see if they melt. I guess its better to play safe. Dun wanna have to clear messy and smelly melted plastic. Hahaha.

Edited by ralli`fto

Wow.... Dats good. Now i know... Next time no need to cut open the plastic to just heat the silica gel. Just have to throw it all in. Hahaha. Save my time and effort. Thanks evian for the test. :)

but ... that only applies for the westone original silica gel pack ... it might not work for others thou

Edited by evian_vortex