Sign in to follow this  
sonq

Starting A System From Scratch

BTW the picture u posted is Qualia. The sony SA5000, 3000, 1000 all has similar construction and design. I believe the SA5000 also has the same stand as well. The SA5k is also rather similar to electrostatics but that is only a short test.

Wow, you're certainly well exposed to electrostatics.

I saw the 202 as highly rated in a UK hifi mag. However, have read reviews that the 303 is much better than 202 and also 404 is much better than 303.

Knowing how things can get really hyped up in audio, what's your opinion on the difference?

But in terms of tonality, electrostats differ from one model to another. I think the Lamda series(202,303,404) would sound highly similar while the other models like Omega, Sr-X etc sound very different from them. If electrostatics are free of colourations, then all electrostatic should sound similar but they don't. The Lamdas sound somewhere like in between Sennheiser 650 and Beyerdynamic 880 in terms of tonality. Slightly warm and with fantastic soundstage. My Sr-x on the other hand sound like grados. The closest one would be MS2. Small soundstage but extremely neutral

Evil zen: Are you referring to the Basic System II series or the Lambda Nova System series? Although the drivers look similar (SR-202 vs SR-Xh for instance), the electrostatic diaphrams of the Basic System II and Lambda Nova System series are different in material and thickness. My SR-2020 system does not sound anything like Senn but perhaps a little like DT880 with fuller mid bass. Actually, it sounded more like K1000 with bass to me. I've not tried the SR-202 earspeakers with other amps but till now, I find that it has similar traits as Electrostatic speakers, which I've owned, and largely free from colorations. However, coloration inhibited by other parts of the system could still be imparted, be them electrostatic, horn or dynamic speakers. In your opinion, does the Stax 006t tube amp impart more warmth in the midrange over its solid-state equivalent?

laukinkon: It's certainly not hype, I believe the Stax systems are really good but as evil zen had mentioned, your concern is value for money. However, the portable SR-001 MKII system did not really bode well for me as it has a rather steep rolloff in the highs but I kinda like its rather punchy bass for something this small.

Edited by Mackie

I've actually owned a Stax (I think it was a Lambda) in the late 80s, didn't turn out well as I was using a CD source that was a touch hot in the treble - garbage in & garbage out - returned it within a week.

Eventually settled on AKG 240DF for a year before I sold it.

I'll go to Adephi to audition it and decide, but heard Stax is v expoensive in Sg

Honestly, I haven't tried all of the Lamda series yet. Starting with the original Lamda, Nova and now numbered Lamda series, online reviews have more or less described minor improvements to the previous line. Changes in the thickness of diaphragm was made but I think the material remains mylar.

My SR-2020 system does not sound anything like Senn but perhaps a little like DT880 with fuller mid bass. Actually, it sounded more like K1000 with bass to me.

Actually that was what I am trying to describe. Similar to DT880 with a thickness in the midrange and midbass. I've not heard the K1000.

The reason why I said electrostatics are not totally free of colouration is due to the fact that the 2 electrostatic headphones I possess sound far from each other. In terms of tonality, one sounds like a Grado while the other sounds like a DT880 + midbass and both are driven from the same driver unit(SRM-313) source and cables.

While I tried the 404 and 006t amp recently, I can say I didn't like the 'improvements' made. I didn't have the chance to compare the 303 and 404 directly but they should sound very very similar as the difference is said to be cables only. Yes indeed they impart more warmth and bass but I felt it wasn't controlled enough in the bass. Fat and sloppy.

From Kevin Gilmore. http://headwize.com/ubb/showpost.php?fnum=...d=1220&pid=9043

Many moons ago i used to listen

on a stax amp a srm-t1. I do not like that amp. Never did. Any

of the stax amps that use 6cg7's as the output stage suffer from

the same problem, the tube really is not designed to handle 600 volt

output swings.

Note the older T1, 006t and 006t-II are of the same design.

I lucked out and bought the Classic system 2nd hand for much cheaper than what the local distributor sells. Pricejapan and eifl has better price but whether they allow native 230V amps to be sold, now with the stricter Stax rules, is another matter.

Likely to get a iPod soon, then going to start headphone hunting. Are the prices all the same everywhere? Any recommended dealers that's chaeper than Apple shop?

I've ripped my CDs with Lossless format. However, now using a ATH-EM7 thru my T-42 notebook, but clipping sound at peaks even at moderate volume. Not sure if it's the notebook or the phone?