Sign in to follow this  
sonq

Starting A System From Scratch

I'm in the midst of selling my home system and switching to headphone. As I'm starting from scratch, want to make sure I don't make any silly mistake and get stuck with wrong combo.

I've not decided on portable or home setup, but for portable solution, thinking of the following:

Source: iPod 60G using either uncompressed WAV or Lossless format

Headphone: Stax SR-001MK2 In-The-Ear electrostatic/amp

Has anyone tried this combo?

I've some idea on home setup, but being new here, not sure if I should post it under Home Audio instead?

LOL ... THATS A SUPER HARD TO DRIVE LITTLE FELLA FOR A PORTABLE SETUP :crazy: ... You sure you wanna have a massive amp with you when you are going out ?

The SR-001 looks small in the photo but heard battery life limited.

http://www.stax.co.jp/ENG/in-the-ear.html

Interested about the SR71 amp and thought about matching to one of those better ear canal hp.

As my other choices will be home setup with either Stax 3030 system or 701 with Stello amp, concerned the audio tradeoff may be too much in comparison.

Edited by laukinkon

Thought of the iPod as quality source from this article:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/hipod/hipod_2.html

Heard that the Shuffle has better sound quality, but 1G maybe limited.

Checked the setup some of the experts uses including Evian's, seems Shuffle & Westone UM2 is quite popular - wow, that's almost weightless!

Never heard of Westone but reviews looked good. http://www.earphonesolutions.com/reofum2byour.html

http://uncleplastic.blogspot.com/2005/05/r...estone-um2.html

Also found this link on matching amps for the UM2

http://um2.blogspot.com/

Edited by laukinkon

I also have the Stax SR-001MK2 but always partnered with a pcdp and not my ipod shuffle. The stax isn't cheap and given the price, you could do better in sound quality by getting a portable amp such as PA2V2 or Xenos and a closed design can/iem. Moreover, the Stax really eats energizers as snacks and only the lithium versions last longer. In terms of sound quality and running cost, I suggest you drop the idea on the Stax. But if you really like it, buy it by all means. Passion and sensibility always contradict each other, that's why I also own this Stax portable system. :P

Mackie, thanks for your advice and you're right, passion sometimes twisted my logic, I'm a sucker for cool looking gear.

I'll certainly take your advice on the Stax 001. By the way, how does the Stax 2020 compare with your favorite Beyer or Senn?

I'll check out the PA2V2 or Xenos, but the Larocco amp sure looks sexy.

Top-Gun,

I'm new to headphones, what's a IIRC?

I love the Jeff Rowland face plate surface machining appearance best. I'm a industrial designer by profession, so a little extreme about the aesthetics of equipments I used.

To me, the effect of owning ugly, tacky stuffs is like waking up to a ugly spouse every morning.

Edited by laukinkon

Mackie, thanks for your advice and you're right, passion sometimes twisted my logic, I'm a sucker for cool looking gear.

I'll certainly take your advice on the Stax 001. By the way, how does the Stax 2020 compare with your favorite Beyer or Senn?

I'll check out the PA2V2 or Xenos, but the Larocco amp sure looks sexy.

"The Hornet" also looks sexy too. :))

I browsed upon the SR71's positive review awhile back, is Hornet comparable? The casing is nice but not too keen about the logo/text overload.

See attached images for both.

Barradio, noticed you have a Naim head amp, how's the quality?

post-2565-1154066799_thumb.jpg

post-2565-1154066824_thumb.jpg

Edited by laukinkon

IIRC = If I Remember Correctly

it's not some fancy, obscure headphone brand :)

Thanks for enlightening me.

Here's another cool one one that looks like retro Nakamichi gears - during their prime days of Nakamichi Dragon - their products were kick-ass then.

Audio Valve RKV MkII. Not sure about sound quality though.

post-2565-1154138828_thumb.jpg

Thanks for enlightening me.

Here's another cool one one that looks like retro Nakamichi gears - during their prime days of Nakamichi Dragon - their products were kick-ass then.

Audio Valve RKV MkII. Not sure about sound quality though.

Its supposedly very good aint it? Not too sure about that, but the design is very nice.

CK5 is not really very recommended by our fellow SHheadphoners (if there is such a word).

Do yourself a favour and search for the CK7 on the forums. There are really lots of great reviews of them out there.

As for the new Sonys, I doubt anyone owns them, YET. :P