Sign in to follow this  
sonq

Starting A System From Scratch

Thanks for the feedbacks guys. i only saw the CK5 & below at Best Denki in thomas plaza. The Westone looks like hearing aid, so not use to the look. Where did you guys get the CK7?

By the way, I have a ATH EM7 that I use for Skype & listening off notebook, how does the CK7 compare?

Likely to get a iPod soon, just read that the 5G has quite good sound quality, will likely drive the phones direct as this will be my portable rig.

By the way, is Jojo a shop or person?

Thanks for the address.

Just buy & drool over it.....amazing looking.

post-2565-1154396786.gif

Edited by laukinkon

Errr, definitely not the Audio Technica ATH-ES7..... from the side, it seems to be a Sony.

is it the qualia that you guys are talking about

Mackie, thanks for your advice and you're right, passion sometimes twisted my logic, I'm a sucker for cool looking gear.

I'll certainly take your advice on the Stax 001. By the way, how does the Stax 2020 compare with your favorite Beyer or Senn?

I'll check out the PA2V2 or Xenos, but the Larocco amp sure looks sexy.

In a word........color-free. Electrostatics drivers are free from colorations (warmth is one of them, believe it or not) and the Stax 2020 system will reward you with this kinda sound aside from its openness which translates to wide soundstaging. Aside from its refined tonality and accurate timbre, transients are sharp while bass carries enough slam for acoustic jazz and classical genre. However, this Stax system may not handle rock and hip-hop to general preference (me included). Personally, I feel that the equivalent Senn and Beyer should sound more exciting bass wise but I always fall back to the Stax for a neutral and color-free sound for classical, new-age and sometimes jazz genre. But if you dislike neutrality, the Stax could sound sterile.

Mackie,

Thanks for the feedback.

Heard my friend's Magnaplanar electrostatic - pretty incredible with female vocal. That's why I was looking at Stax.

Will buy my portable system now as simpler to decide & slowly source for a good home setup later.

Guy that bought my system will be collecting tomorrow, listening to Wynton Marsalis's CD as I write this - will miss it, nothing except my notebook after that.

I'm a proponent of Stax as I own 2 Stax ear speakers and sold most of my dynamics. As what Mackie suggested, they are extremely fast due to their extreme lightness. In terms of transient speed and bass quality, so far no dynamics I've heard can match them. Some examples of dynamics I've heard include the entire grado/alessandro series (gs1k, rs1, ms-2) AT(L3k, w5k,w100), sennheisers etc etc. Separation is another strong points of electrostats as well with each instrument being placed in a soundstage very well. In order to match their separation, you would need to invest heavily in dynamics.

But in terms of tonality, electrostats differ from one model to another. I think the Lamda series(202,303,404) would sound highly similar while the other models like Omega, Sr-X etc sound very different from them. If electrostatics are free of colourations, then all electrostatic should sound similar but they don't. The Lamdas sound somewhere like in between Sennheiser 650 and Beyerdynamic 880 in terms of tonality. Slightly warm and with fantastic soundstage. My Sr-x on the other hand sound like grados. The closest one would be MS2. Small soundstage but extremely neutral.

I always thought bass was the biggest disadvantage of electrostats until I heard the 404 and 006t tube amp. Bass was terrific and even too much for my taste! I have another Stax 003 coming my way. BTW, Stax are sold far too expensive in Singapore.

Edited by evil-zen