Cypher

What's your favourite portable amp?

actually i'm quite interested in the hornet myself.

did a search for the hornet on these boards and was delighted to discover that there are some owners here too. maybe can find someone to lend me his to try out first.

The Hornet and the Supermacro IV have the same price tag ... but which is better ?

Its a no brainer according to some. :P

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=188942

I'm surprised that so many want to get the SM4 and MO for such a big ticket item. :D I was only suggesting lol. When buying? I'm in no hurry to get them. I've just bought the adapter and some new amps!

Topgun, I'll pray with you.

The Hornet and the Supermacro IV have the same price tag ... but which is better ?

I have only heard the two earlier Supermacros, so my thoughts are based on that.

Both amps are have their own +/- but I would look at it this way:

SM -

Can find preferred sound through opamp/buffer rolling

Impedance switch is great for Ety ER4P owners

Bass boost is effective and non intrusive for cans that need the help

Hornet -

Small size

Lighter weight

3 level gain

Build quality is great for both but if I had to choose between the two, I would choose the SM (v1&v3) with OPA 627.

While the Hornet has a more detailed and punchy sound, I prefer the more 'mature' sound of the SM as configured.

Given my cans, the SM's features allow me to make the most of more of them.

It is for the same reason I suggested the SR-71 over the SM in the earlier post.

YMMV.

At www.fixup.net/products/index.htm website, SuperMacro-4 costs USD 350 (SGD 560) whereas SuperMini-4 costs USD 200 (SGD 320). Both feature latest 4-channel technology except external selectors are replaced with internal jumpers, rolling opamps is more restrictive and fast charging is not avialble for SupreMini-4. I intend to have a audition of either SupreMacro or SuperMini before making purchase (most likely SuperMini-4).

Xin SuperMacro is using AAA battery x8 (750mAH x8 EverReady NimH) whereas Hornet is using 9V battery x1 (270mAH x1 AcuPower NimH). Obviously SuperMacro has much higher current and charge capacities which means longer playing time and operating opamps in high-current mode (very low distortion) is possible.

actually i'm quite interested in the hornet myself.

did a search for the hornet on these boards and was delighted to discover that there are some owners here too. maybe can find someone to lend me his to try out first.

Let me know if you are auditing the hornet. I'm interested in it too but find it hard to justify the cost if the improvement is minimum.

I check with Jaben Network that they might have the intention to bring in the Xin's range of portable amp here.

Oh my. This is so evil. :P

I check with Jaben Network that they might have the intention to bring in the Xin's range of portable amp here.

But after thinking for a while, I don't think it might work. Order for Xin amp look very well response that I doubt they might want to consider giving Jaben the dealership.

I think I will most probably order by myself but its always good to have a local dealer just in case if there is any problem, u can always get back to him easily.

Since we are on the topic of amps...

How does the PPA2 fare? I have read on Head-fi that it compares very well against $1000 class amps, can't give you guys the citation though. Just wanna confirm, because I actually have a PPA2 board now, but I don't have the know-how to build it. Thinking of getting someone to do it for me if the PPA2 is actually a good amp. Don't ask me how I got the board in the first place, got it on a whim :P

this is a real subjective question - so much depends on what your listening preferences are and what equipment you pair it up with ...

MY OPINION, however, is that the Portaphile V2 [Maxxed]+ is my favorite, having owned RSA SR-71 and Xin Supermini 3, and tried RSA Hornet, AE-1, GO-Vibe, Headroom Total Airhead (2005) and Micro Stack.

cut-and-paste here from my initial reaction posted on Head-Fi :

"Talking to Romanee and based on my own listening, the new portaphile has a better resolved soundstage - more airy and musical. Its also a 'faster' amp, without sacrifiicing detail or bass presence. it had no problems driving my sensas or HD650s. It is not a particularly neutral amp, and I thought it was quite lively and well suited to the pop-rock i threw at it, but it really shined with Jazz - detailed, without being overly clinical. Classical fared well as the improved soundstage helped with the seperation of instruments in symphonic pieces and the better bass definition gave a nice sense of drama at certain key points. Electronica was a tad bright and lacking substance compared to some other amps, but I know some people like that kind of sound - and I don't listen to that much electronica usually

IMPORTANT NOTE : Romanee was running the amps off the mains at the meet (an advantage the Portaphile has over the SR71), but Cesar notes that the new ground circuit doubles power consumption ! The new black gate caps are also more sensitive to voltage than the previous version used so the old Elpacs should NOT be used with them. max voltage is now 18v,compared to 24v previously.

Compared to the SR71, its a hard fight. I feel the 71 has the overall advantage in SQ - I just love the rich warm tones that amp can produce. But the portaphile i think has gained a lot of ground, and in some areas - soundstage and to a certain extent, bass definition, has surpassed the 71. Factor in that the portaphile is 2/3rds the size, has selectable Class A and wide bandwith options, can be DC powered and still manages to be $150 cheaper ... "

FYI I currently have it paired with a Redwine Imod, Silver Dragon Interconnect and Ultrasone Proline 650s - super happy with this combo ;)

Edited by monkeygod

I have the chance to test out a hornet yesterday and had a difference opinion on amp totally. I had a ldm+ and tested go-vibes and xenos before but this hornet had something really different. First of all, Hornet is real quiet. I didn't notice any hiss. The only time is when I turn the knob to the max. Probably it is from my player. The most outstanding difference is the music being played. I don't think I'm able to describe it well but it does feel smooth, soothing to the ear. The "pace"(head-fi term) feels different too. The music is very well-controlled. To a point, it does feel like going into dreamy mood with pure enjoyment. :DD

If I ever get an amp, this will be likely be my current favourite choice.

The next contenders might be

SR71 (didn't spend too much time on it the last time)

Hornet "M"

PRII

Portaphile

Xin SMIV

Little country (although not portable but sounds interesting)