zhapchit

Xiangsheng 708b vs LD2+ ?

Sin$15 for Sovtek 6N1P should be good price...

normally it is sold for US$6 in the US... consider the shipping cost... and yuo got it safe in Sing already...

Don't bother to look for 6N1P in other brand than Sovtek cause it will never be available...

6N1P is a new production tube and made only by Sovtek. It has close characteristic to 6922 / 6DJ8... but with certain different parameters too, especially it can stand higher voltage than normal 6922/6DJ8.

It might can be used on 6922/6DJ8 circuit... but be carefull if you do the otherwise.... that is a circuit optimized for 6N1P... might won't fit for 6922/6DJ8... without any modification to drop the voltage...

AND be carefull to playe with tube... sometimes the circuit work on the lethal voltage... MAKE sure that all capacitors fully discharged before you touch the circuit... An off tube amp with 400volt capacitor might still save the energy of 400 volt in its capacitors...

Regards,

---

David

hmm.. How do we make sure that the capacitors are discharged?

For the 6Z4... a forummer from Headfi has shared these 2 links

http://eshop.diyclub.biz/product_info.php?...products_id=336

http://www.audiotriodes.com/en/shop/flypage/product/240.html

Edited by zhapchit

hmm.. How do we make sure that the capacitors are discharged?

Not an easy task.... but first you might want to check what is the highest voltage printed on the capacitors...

6922 can work on low voltage such us 70 to 80 VDC (volt DC)... but in most application it goes to 150 VDC, with 6N1P can goes beyond that...

So if it is 100V on the cap... then it is 'quite' safe... unless you have a heart attack problem... most likely you won't be killed by 100 Volt... though it still shocking...

Beyond 120 V is starting to be dangerous....

Some way to check: (it is not recommended if you don't have a skill to work on electronic circuit especially the high voltage circuit) (It is also a lot better to have the schematic on the circuit to work with...)

If you can find the B+ voltage point (that is sometimes marked as V+) on the board and then you see Ground sign (GND or ground picture)... use DC voltmeter and measure both points... CAREFULLY!!!

In other case, if you have V+ and V-, you might be want to check the voltage between both points too...

A power supply section designed with safety in mind usually include drain resistors after the caps to make sure that the stored energy would be gradually zeroed after a certain time. If you check that there is such a resistor... then you might just give a time to the amp to cooling down (tube is hot right...?) while at the same time the voltage might already been dropped to the safe value...

But... if you give a certain time and you check that the voltage is still high... then there is no such a drain resistor on the circuit... then the only safe way is to get a high-wattage/high-voltage resistor, 5Kohm/10W would be enough wire them on both end... cover them in an insulator (like high voltage heatshrink tube) then have both wire end with alligator clips.

CAREFULLY!! Clips the resistor to B+ to Ground, or V+ to V-, or V+ to GND and GND to V-... wait for the certain time...

check the voltage again...

By suggesting above... I PERSONALLY DON'T WANT TO BE BLAMED FOR ANY ACCIDENT HAPPENED WITH YOU...

(though if something bad happened with you, you might be don't have life any longer to blem me :)... sorry bad jokes... but that is the fact...)

REgards,

---

David

Waiting for my 6N1P EB and 6N3P to arrive .. hopefully soon :grin:

Sorry... I make mistake...

Sovtek 6n1p... actually I mean to mention Svetlana 6N1P...... because in the past time I do not hear about Sovtek making 6N1P... (I know that Sovtek making 6922 but... not 6N1P)

So 6N1P model always relates to Svetlana...

Until I found:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6N1P

So I realise now that both might come from the same "Voskhod" factory...

REgards,

---

David

I've replaced the 6N3 with the Western Electric 2C51. Havent had much listening time with it yet but it was pretty much like what edwinyw had posted earlier.

But I am enjoying this XiangSheng amp alot now. I think i will be selling away the SOHA soon :D

I've replaced the 6N3 with the Western Electric 2C51. Havent had much listening time with it yet but it was pretty much like what edwinyw had posted earlier.

But I am enjoying this XiangSheng amp alot now. I think i will be selling away the SOHA soon :D

hey yO`! Great for u. Happy listening and look out for more surprises that u can hear now. =)

Btw I tried a GE 5670 to replace the 6N3 it didnt work. There was a loud humming sound from the left channel. Have to bring it back to change it to something else.

Replaced the rear 2 tubes with Electro Harmonix 6922.. initial impression .. brings out alot more details.. highs are more controlled.. improved soundstage

track used : Patience - Guns N Roses

source : cd63mk2

HP : senn hd580

Hi Zhapchit,

How much did u pay for the EH 6922...?

hey, sounds having fun rolling tubes, thought doing caps upgrade??

I am interested to change the caps to better audiophile quality. Can recommend some and where to get pls??

BTW,I feel that the bass of this amp is not really punchy and loud enough. How do I improve on the bass??

Hi Zhapchit,

How much did u pay for the EH 6922...?

err serioulsy i can't remember but should be less than $20 each i think

This thread in headfi says about the 6N1 being cosmetical! :shocking:

Anyone able to confirm that? :doh:

Edited by zhapchit

This thread in headfi says about the 6N1 being cosmetical! :shocking:

Anyone able to confirm that? :doh:

I just got mine recently but have yet to try it..

left it at my gf house.

by the way where did u get ur replacement tues for the 6n3

I just got mine recently but have yet to try it..

left it at my gf house.

by the way where did u get ur replacement tues for the 6n3

Got them from this shop call Wellaudio... at Burlington Square

you can test it for yourself...remove the front window tube and see if the amp still runs fine :DD ...

Im still waiting for my "voskhod" 6N3P-EB from the head-fi guy before I open up my XS...someday, I will start another thread for the few of us to share some tube rolling/caps changing info ok? unless someone beats me to it that is...

Yup, just that i'm overseas now and don't have the amp with me :cry:

Seems that headfi's drarthurwells has removed the 6N1 and the amp still works well.

:doh: