zhapchit

Xiangsheng 708b vs LD2+ ?

i'm quite a n00b with tubes... i only know that the 6z4 is a rectifier tube and the 6n3 is a gain tube. As to what they are for... :rclxub:

6Z4 (Rectifier) converts the AC from the transformer to DC.

The 6N3 acts as a pre-amp to bring the signal level from the input of the amp (e.g. from a CD player) to a level that can be amplified by the output tubes.

The 6N11/6922/6DJ8 are the output tubes which amplifies the signal from the 6N3 and provides the drive for the headphones.

Simple. :)

Regards

CK

haha okie... so which tube will affect the sound most?

haha okie... so which tube will affect the sound most?

eh,i would say depends on wat u wan to hear most? Quality of sound or the details?

6922 will affect stuffs like soundstage,different "flavours" of sounds.

6n3 will affect stuffs like gain.. therefore.. more details if higher gain? not to mention higher noise level too. =)

Well,above are wat i observed when i changed the tubes. =)

eh,i would say depends on wat u wan to hear most? Quality of sound or the details?

6922 will affect stuffs like soundstage,different "flavours" of sounds.

6n3 will affect stuffs like gain.. therefore.. more details if higher gain? not to mention higher noise level too. =)

Well,above are wat i observed when i changed the tubes. =)

What are the tubes available to try replacing the 6n3 tube

6Z4 (Rectifier) converts the AC from the transformer to DC.

The 6N3 acts as a pre-amp to bring the signal level from the input of the amp (e.g. from a CD player) to a level that can be amplified by the output tubes.

The 6N11/6922/6DJ8 are the output tubes which amplifies the signal from the 6N3 and provides the drive for the headphones.

Simple. :)

Regards

CK

Hi cnkg,

what can we expect if we were to change the rectifier tube. . .

What are the tubes available to try replacing the 6n3 tube

quote from mirumu of headfi :

For the 6N1 ------> 6N1P (This is similar to the 6N11/6DJ8/6922 but they are not interchangable without circuit changes. See this page for details of the differences)

For the 6N3 ------> 6N3P, 5670, ECC42, 2C51 and 396A

For the 6N11 -----> 6DJ8, 6922, E88CC, ECC88, PCC88, E188CC, 7308, 7DJ8 and 6N23

For the 6Z4 ------> None, but the 6X4 is similar. A 6X4 will not fit the in the Xiang Sheng case and will require circuit modification. Note that this 6Z4 is a minature 7-pin tube made by Shuguang in China. This is not compatible with the large 5-pin American 6Z4.

quote from mirumu of headfi :

For the 6N1 ------> 6N1P (This is similar to the 6N11/6DJ8/6922 but they are not interchangable without circuit changes. See this page for details of the differences)

For the 6N3 ------> 6N3P, 5670, ECC42, 2C51 and 396A

For the 6N11 -----> 6DJ8, 6922, E88CC, ECC88, PCC88, E188CC, 7308, 7DJ8 and 6N23

For the 6Z4 ------> None, but the 6X4 is similar. A 6X4 will not fit the in the Xiang Sheng case and will require circuit modification. Note that this 6Z4 is a minature 7-pin tube made by Shuguang in China. This is not compatible with the large 5-pin American 6Z4.

i think edwin change the 2c51 right which is the gain tube.

so what can we expect from a change in gain tube..?

any recommendation for the 6n11 tubes....?

My 708B is currently fitted with the Siemens tubes and WE 2c51. =)

Happy combi,but still not very satisfied. I wan more!!

Haha...

Hi Edwin,

I managed to find some cheap rca to mini cables to hook up my ibook to the XS and listening thru my Ad500 heaphones.

The results was not gd, the same track that i used to listen to all my systems, perform really badly, i believe that a cd player would reap remakrable improvement.

I also spent some time hooking up the XS to my philip dvdp (mackie is really against this though),

hook up to a old vcd player, which i believe holds a linear power supply, lastly my marantz cd 63 se.

cd 63 gave the best results lotsa of details, in fact i am hearing more stuff that i never realise before. my old vcd player is the next best though there is some lost to some background music. dvdp perform the 2nd worse a little blurry though.

The ibook was the worst, it seems like the singer is singing behind the instruments and competing with the music. U try playing a cd thru ur ibook and see if what i discover was true.

Do let me know ur findings.

Regards.

Hi cnkg,

what can we expect if we were to change the rectifier tube. . .

This I am not too sure. I am a tube newbie. :P

Regards

CK

OK...since its only the few of us here talking to each other, dont think its that wrong to OT that much huh...

something to share with you guys...

I used to use either:

laptop HP out -> Zu Pivot -> XS -> DT880

iRiver h140 lineout -> Zu Pivot -> XS -> DT880

both playing flacs, but ever since I got my dedicated CDP, I have been running it straight out from the headphone jack and it just sounds so much "sweeter", and also not to forget the larger soundstage...I have since been listening through my collection of CDs, a different one every night just so I can hear things I never thought existed...all this was without even the XS as I still havent had the chance to get a pair of RCA ICs...

to get the best out of your RIGs, do note that the entire system has to be taken into consideration...and it dosent have to be really high end expensive stuffs...In fact I consider mine REALLY budget liao... :D

'

Yeah agree.. :D

Was thinking if i should get anotehr 2nd hand cdp for my room. otherwise the sound is really quite bad from the laptop..

well...The guy that I purchased my CDP from has 1 in the downstairs living room, one in the dining room, one in the upstairs living room, one in his own room, and 2 in his daughters room, plus maybe a couple more as spares...he sold me the under utilised one in his daughters room...

I guess ONE is more than enough for me now since I listen only in my room...anywhere else I would use my DAP...If I were you, I would either get a dac, or upgrade some parts first...

Im currently eyeing a HP recable, get a good set of IC, a DAC, and a cheap power distributer...thats already quite abit of money and no chance of getting another CDP ba...

Yup agree on getting a DAP. I'm currently using a CD63 mkII also. Will be doing the mods on it :yeah:

Maybe a DAC and a pair of speakers later :dance:

Guest Trappist

Hello,

I don't know if I post in the right topic but I have a problem with my XS 708B and I wanted to share it with you and see if you could give me any advice.

The problem seems to be electrical but I can't get near the solution.

When I plug in the XS in my power amp I hear a loud noise (maybe hum) coming out of the speakers (the XS is not switched on). Then I switch on the XS the loud noise quiets down and there is only a background noise left that increases when I turn up the volume. I have absolutly no noise in my heaphones though.

Note that the possible hum noise disapears when I unplug the power cord of the XS.

I don't think the problem comes from my power amp because when I connect my source directly to the power amp via a variable output the speakers are dead quiet. I am lost. Is it a capacitor problem, a tube problem, ...

Thank you in advance for your inputs.

Hello,

I don't know if I post in the right topic but I have a problem with my XS 708B and I wanted to share it with you and see if you could give me any advice.

The problem seems to be electrical but I can't get near the solution.

When I plug in the XS in my power amp I hear a loud noise (maybe hum) coming out of the speakers (the XS is not switched on). Then I switch on the XS the loud noise quiets down and there is only a background noise left that increases when I turn up the volume. I have absolutly no noise in my heaphones though.

Note that the possible hum noise disapears when I unplug the power cord of the XS.

I don't think the problem comes from my power amp because when I connect my source directly to the power amp via a variable output the speakers are dead quiet. I am lost. Is it a capacitor problem, a tube problem, ...

Thank you in advance for your inputs.

Maybe it's the same problem as edwin's

http://www.sgheadphones.net/index.php?showtopic=5443&st=60#

Check the interconnects if it's securely plug in. Usually it's the IC.

Edited by viix