Sign in to follow this  
ekoliew

Need recommendation for headphones! (HD595, AD900s, and DT880s)

Hi Fellow forummers,

this is one of my first few posts! haha. I am looking for a headphone and amp combo to replace my bulky speakers, so that I can bring my hifi experience wherever I go. After auditioning some cans, I have narrowed down my choices to the Audio Technica AD900s, the Sennheiser HD595s, and the Beyer DT880. Just wanna ask if any of you have experience with these headphones?

I'm an AT fan but the AT AD900s was a little too harsh on the highs for me, but maybe coz it wasn't burned in yet. The HD595s sounded great to me, because the sound was easy on the ears and somehow more refined, without the piercing highs. But from what I have heard it can get boring once I am used to it. I forgot how the Beyers exactly sounded like, as I heard them 3 weeks ago, but it did leave me a rather good impression because of the wide soundstage.

For my amp, I am thinking of the iCute or the AT-HA20, because both have dual voltage adapters. I listen to mainly jazz vocals, pop and classical piano and violin, and would prefer a neutral sound with a slight emphasis to the midrange.

Hope I can get some help here! haha

Edited by ekoliew

hi Ekoliew

Welcome to SG Headphones! Be careful of yr wallet :P

BTW, can you tell us what is your budget for cans and headamp? Only then can we recommend. :cans:

Edited by ericssan

Hi, welcome to the forum where we share how to spend your money. :D I like the DT880, esp with a good amp. I am listening to one now, an older version, with a PPA amplifier (diy amp). The DT is I think more neutral than the AT or Senns. These two are on opposite end of the spectrum.

But in the end, the most important thing is what you like, as each person is different in their taste. Why not visit our friendly forumers who are also selling headphones, eg Jaben or Stereo Electronics, depending on where you stay. Then you can listen to the phones and also get some advice.

After all, a bright can coupled with a very mellow amp may sound very acceptable and vice versa.

Hi! Actually, my budget is about $600 for both the amp and the headphones. $700 is the max. No more than that. :)

Actually I have visited both Stereo electronics and Uncle Wilson. I have to visit Jaben one more time to really test the Beyers, and then go to Stereo again to test the HD595s and the AT-ADH900s. Only then I can really compare these cans. And as the headphones were not really burned in yet, would like to seek opinions so that when I test these headgear again, I can take note of some pointers from fellow forummers who really have these gear burned in.

hi Ekoliew

Welcome to SG Headphones! Be careful of yr wallet :P

BTW, can you tell us what is your budget for cans and headamp? Only then can we recommend. :cans:

Edited by ekoliew

Yes AT cans are brighter compare to Beyer, can't say about Senn as I dun own 1.

Been using the AT everyday got so used to the sound signature, now listen to Beyer makes the Beyer sounds a tad muffled.

Edited by Qsilver

Hmm.. So their sonic signature for their cans are on the bright side? Coz I have a AT-EW9 and an CM7 and they have this slightly warmish sound that is unlike the AD900s that I have heard. But I remembered that I burned in my EW9s for a long time before the sound was tamed.

If the AT cans are really on the bright side even after burn in than I would have to consider the other 2.

Yes AT cans are brighter compare to Beyer, can't say about Senn as I dun own 1.

Edited by ekoliew

' date='13 Aug 2006, 01:42 AM' post='73637']

The iCute wise, best is since that it can run off batteries, and it lasts like around 20 hours of continuos usage. It also comes with the high/low gain switch so that I can switch between the DT880 and ER4P.

I second Top-Gun's opinion on iCute. It is quite versatile and battery operated with two 9-volt batteries is a plus. It can be charged directly w/o opening the assembly.

I can't comment on your choice of cans as I did not try them. Sorry. :cans:

Thanks. I will really seriously consider the iCute amp. Now, the headphones. haha

' date='13 Aug 2006, 01:42 AM' post='73637']

The iCute wise, best is since that it can run off batteries, and it lasts like around 20 hours of continuos usage. It also comes with the high/low gain switch so that I can switch between the DT880 and ER4P.

I second Top-Gun's opinion on iCute. It is quite versatile and battery operated with two 9-volt batteries is a plus. It can be charged directly w/o opening the assembly.

I can't comment on your choice of cans as I did not try them. Sorry. :cans:

One vote for the Beyer DT880. Neutral with a nice hint of warness in the mids. Good for jazz/vocals.

Btw i owned the DT880/A900/HD595 before and i thought the DT880 was the most balanced and fun to listen to, but YMMV.

Edited by wil

I'm using 595 and I find that they're boring when no amp is used. 595s needs an amp to sound good IMO despite those ppl said at headfi. And I discovered that by adding a 75ohm resister to those 50ohms 595s, it makes its bass stronger and have more presence and slam.

If you're going the DT880 route, give those DT990 a try. They're better I felt. Improves on the DT880 in almost every aspect.

If you're going the DT880 route, give those DT990 a try. They're better I felt. Improves on the DT880 in almost every aspect.

Second to that, tried both at jaben.

And I prefered the DT990(open) then DT880(semi-open).

Hey afbug,

I tried e Dt990 also, i like e sound. So i recommend DT990, buy 1 time onli!! :)):))

Amps my recommendation is Little DOt 2+ for entry level and subsequently e Meier Headfive

which Im using now.. very warm sound. But let ur ears judge on this. YMMV.

Hey guys! Thanks for the recommendations. I have decided to get the iCute amp because it is dual voltage and I'm going to the US.

For the cans, I will audition the cans mentioned and then make a decision on which cans to buy. The HD595s still appeal to me so far, but I will test the others before making a final judgement.

Thanks again!

buy 1 time onli!! :)):))

How we all wish that is the case. :)):))