Sign in to follow this  
kross

We now have only 8 planets now!

It's the classification, more likely...

I don't even think the dwarf planets are deserving of their title, but due to sentimental value, they have this name, rather than kicking them out entirely.

hmm... anyone knows which Pluto got its name first? issit the planet, or the dog?

The planet. Disney picked up that name one year after the name was adopted for the planet.

There are currently 3 dwarf planets in the solar system: Pluto, Ceres and Xena.

"Two of the objects that at one point were cruising toward possible full-fledged planethood will join Pluto as dwarfs: the asteroid Ceres, which was a planet in the 1800s before it got demoted, and 2003 UB313, an icy object slightly larger than Pluto whose discoverer, Michael Brown of the California Institute of Technology, has nicknamed Xena."

Nah... Pluto is the god of the underworld... It is often confused with Plutus, the god of wealth.

Also, the solar system is relatively flat, if I am right from what I have understood.

Ay, he spoke Greek

Shakespearean language, from Julius Caesar. :P

oh...me bad...confused I am...

Actually, Shakespeare made the ame mistake in the same play (Julius Casear)....

Sorry for the talk about Shakespeare, studying the play in school. :P

Edited by aaron-xp

seems like the ppl here are very well read...

from electronics & physics, to astronomy, to literature... haha... we're an intellect lot!

hmm...im trying to find "accurate" images of the solar system but to no avail...anyone got any links?

I saw it on Yahoo main page about 3 days ago, not sure if the article is still available for search. Unforunately the JPEG was rather small, probably almost equal to a 4R. The planets and dwarf planets are labelled.

Happy browsing! :P

Yep, i think this might be the one he's looking for. Better resolutions than the one i saw in the Yahoo article.

Thanks for sharing your finding. (I'm not a astronomy person but this is indeed an interesting general knowledge to keep updated) :))

I don't really think it will stifle that sense of wonder. I have always been more interested in Extrasolar Planets. I mean, think of the solar system as your backyard and the rest of the galaxy as the world outside. Kids will learn about their backyard, and sooner or later they will venture out into the big unknown.