Sign in to follow this  
Guest joi-ful

Cd player

Guest joi-ful

Hi all, I've been using my Zen micro as my source for my music. Recently dug up an old Toshiba dvd player and was amazed by how much better it sounds compared to my dap.

FYI, I'm using the grado sr60 and um1. (I intend to upgrade the sr60, but that's another topic altogether)

I've tried ripping in VBR, 320kbps and .wav format but ended up ripping all my music in VBR as there's subtle difference between the formats, even compared to lossless. Since the SQ of cds are purportedly identical to that of lossless files such as flac, alac and .wav ( I've not heard my songs in flac though..), I concur that it could be due to the difference in DAC in my DAP and the Toshiba DVD player. Music from my dvd player sounded much more fuller and natural, the same pieces on the other hand, sounded flat and lifeless ( if such terms can be used to describe music) :cans:

I can live with the SQ of the Toshiba dvdp as my home rig but clipping and skipping of the player is beginning to irritate me. Probably due to dirty lens but I think it wouldn't be worthwhile changing the lens since the dvdp is really old and cheap now... Model is the SD2100 and I think my dad got it at $600+ several years ago.

:helpsmilie:

So, I'm thinking of changing to a budget cd player for now to last me til I've more $$ to spend. I intend to listen through the headphone out and not get an amp so soon since I'm fine with the sound signature of the sr60s. I intend to get a 2nd hand player for more bang out of my bucks. Preferably under $200 but I can stretch my budget to $400 if there's a really good deal around.

Really noob to CDP... some questions here:

1) Is it better to get a CDP that is as neutral as possible (so I've the option of pairing up with more amps/cans) or go for a house sound I prefer? I like my sr60 but they could do better with less shrills and more prominent mid-bass. I like brightness BUT sibilance is a no-no for me.

2)Do I have to get a headphone amp to go with my CDP or is the headphone out from the CDP sufficient? I've read that the headphone out from new CDP such as the marantz CD5001 comes with a rather quality headphone out. Qn is, how good exactly is it or would I do better with a budget LDM/Xenos/Pa2v2 amp?? I prefer an all in one solution for the time being until I can afford better stuff.

3) I did a search here as well as head-fi but most topics on CDP are probably outdated by now, with the introduction of newer models, the older ones are probably less worth it, unless I get them 2nd hand. So I need some recommendations on CDP from the gurus here.

Sorry for the looong post. Thanks in advance. :party:

PS: Does SE sells CDP?? If not, any reliable audio shop to recommend? I heard KEC at Aldephi is rather reliable and recommended by most. Do they allow auditions??

And lastly, http://auctions.yahoo.com/sg/i:Marantz%20C...player:98828708 is this a good deal?? What's the difference bet this and the cd63-se version?

Regards,

Shi Hao

Edited by joi-ful

You are certainly heading in the right direction but please do not look for a neutral cdp at your budget, even high end cdps costing 5K and above may not be totally neutral. Henceforth, know the sound you prefer and head towards that direction. More often than not, newbies will love the Marantz sound. The CD5001 costs about $350 and I dare say it won't be a lemon. In addition, Marantz always have a pretty good sound quality out of its headphone circuitry, which is capable of handling low and high impedance cans really well, except for Senn HD600/650 but Beyers sounded fine to me.

That said, you can live with your cans driven direct from this cdp until such time you are craving for an amp upgrade. By then, you would already have gotten used to the sound of your cdp+cans and facilitate better judgement when choosing an amp. For instance, if having an amps offers no improvement over the present system, you can either choose to omit the amp and save the money or choose another that offers a true sound quality improvement.

Where to go for the cdp then? U've answered it yourself, KEC! Deal with confidence. Clarence and his bro are well known in the audiophile circle to be really honest and nice to deal with. Just make sure you drop by on weekdays as they will be overwhelmed by the home theater and hifi crowds. Auditions are welcomed.

The Marantz CD63 series (CD63, CD63SE, CD63KI) were superseded by CD6000 series (CD6000, CD6000ose.....) and then (CD5400, CD7300), followed by the current CD5001. Feel the age yet?

Last but not least, partner a cdp with a desktop amp, not a portable amp. For instance, a Master Original or better yet, XiangSheng 708B headamps will complete your setup and last you for a long time. Till the upgrade bug bites again, that is. LOL

Edited by Mackie

Hi Shi Hao,

if you have notebook/laptop... try to come to Jaben... Uncle Wilson has Fubar USB DAC...

Try it... and compare it to his cd player... (I think Cambridge Audio or Rotel... cannot recall)

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/audiocandy2/candy_3.html

http://www.google.com.sg/search?hl=en&q=fubar+usb+dac&meta=

Alternatively... use cheap DVD player with coaxial digital out and get this:

http://diyparadise.com/dackit/1545bdackit.html

The second might will sound better the first one above...

Regards,

---

David

Guest joi-ful

Thanks for your inputs (especially Mackie).

The lens of my dvdp is very old now so I doubt it'll make a good transport. Anyway, I prefer an all-in-one solution since I'm still a newb in this. I heard that the use of an external DAC with a poor transport may have extra jitteries and problems resulting in deteriorated SQ so I better not go anywhere near this combo for now.

Btw where can I get the Xiangsheng 708B? I'm still a student now so I don't have a credit card/paypal. Unless of course, I get my dad to get it for me... Anyway, I prefer to audition the amps before buying as well. I think I'd like a warm lush sounding amp to match the Grado's.

Oh ya, i'd like to ask whether upgrading to the SR225 or getting the Xiang Sheng give me better SQ for my mojo now? I think I might get both in the end but currently I don't have much to spend.

Thanks.

Thanks for your inputs (especially Mackie).

The lens of my dvdp is very old now so I doubt it'll make a good transport. Anyway, I prefer an all-in-one solution since I'm still a newb in this. I heard that the use of an external DAC with a poor transport may have extra jitteries and problems resulting in deteriorated SQ so I better not go anywhere near this combo for now.

Btw where can I get the Xiangsheng 708B? I'm still a student now so I don't have a credit card/paypal. Unless of course, I get my dad to get it for me... Anyway, I prefer to audition the amps before buying as well. I think I'd like a warm lush sounding amp to match the Grado's.

Oh ya, i'd like to ask whether upgrading to the SR225 or getting the Xiang Sheng give me better SQ for my mojo now? I think I might get both in the end but currently I don't have much to spend.

Thanks.

Well, the for the XS you can pm ma6jia in our forums. He's the guy to look for if chinese amps are what you want.

Well, you can go with the marantz or u can try the new oppo multi format player at x-audio. You can audition the oppo there. It can play sacd, dvd and quite a worthy player for audio at the 299 price point unmodded. but it's always sold out so you'll need to pre-order.

The xs 708b is to me, is a lush warm amp and I can say much better than the dared mp5 based on listening with the akg701. It uses quality components so for $250, it's quite a steal already.

Sorry, ah, apologise for this OT question: who sells XS in SG? Sorry ah.

Sorry, ah, apologise for this OT question: who sells XS in SG? Sorry ah.

Nobody currently. Ma6jia is helping us get it by asking his colleuge to bring in for us. It will depend on when his colleuge travel to and from china. so sets are very limited at any one time.. pm him for more info. :grin:

Nobody currently. Ma6jia is helping us get it by asking his colleuge to bring in for us. It will depend on when his colleuge travel to and from china. so sets are very limited at any one time.. pm him for more info. :grin:

Thanks for the info, was hoping to see it and listen to it :no:

i used to own a marantz cd5400 and was using it to drive my first can, a Senn HD202. before i got sucked in to all this with upgradetitis, i must say it was an enjoyable combo. bring your sr60 + fav CD to audition the different marantz cd players and hear for yourself ... i second mackie on KEC. bought couple of stuff from them previously, they r a friendly and helpful.

Guest joi-ful

Are there any 2nd hand shops at SLS or Aldephi to recommend??

Checked older threads and it seems that the cd5400 and cd5001 are the hot favourites here. Will check them out soon, once I've the $$. haha.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Edited by joi-ful

Guest joi-ful

Yo fongalv,

So you finally got your first CDP, rmb to post your impressions here( and maybe do a comparision between this and your H140)! And congrats!

Btw where and how much did you get your Philips CD850 for? How's the DAC? I think at this point of time, a nice analogue sound is more preferred than more details for me.

When you are choosing a cdp, don't keep looking at DAC as it doesn't guarantee sound quality, just resolution. Even a cheap dvd such as Akira and the likes sport a 24bit/196KHz DAC and if you get my drift, you would continue with the search for a good sounding cdp; specs are secondary.

The only pitfall with used and vintage cdps is condition and parts availability. If these concerns were rendered moot, you shall attain better value for the money spent. As a newbie, skip the trouble and go for a new cdp within your budget. For instance, CD5001 is an impressive machine for the price of $350 over CD5400 which the former supersedes.

In the meantime, stay with SR60 and partner it with whatever cdp you're gonna buy and live with it till you are used to the sound. This will give you a solid foundation on what to expect and which sonic department to upgrade when auditioning for new amp or cans.

Edited by Mackie

When you are choosing a cdp, don't keep looking at DAC as it doesn't guarantee sound quality, just resolution. Even a cheap dvd such as Akira and the likes sport a 24bit/196KHz DAC and if you get my drift, you would continue with the search for a good sounding cdp; specs are secondary.

Mackie... is spot on... :yes:

Regarding the DAC..., Joi-ful... please give it a check... An AKIRA DVD (I think only about Sin$40) (even better if the digital coax RCA out modified with BNC jack)..., combined with a good DAC... could sound better than most budget cd players...

REgards,

---

David

Guest joi-ful

Hmmm, I was almost set on getting either the cd5400/5001 but after doing even more research and reading up, I decided to keep my options open for now.

Another reason for putting off my purchase is that my Zen Micro is beginning to give me problems now. Harddisk problems + faulty headphone jack. Dang! Not so sure if I want a home cd player now since I might have to replace my dap soon. Maybe a cheap 2nd hand one will do it for me.... either that or even saving up to do.

Considering the number of cds I have (decent size) coupled by the fact that I don't usually sit through all the songs on the cd, to use a DAP as a home source is very tempting for me now. Anyone has any idea how to use an external DAC with DAP. I think it's almost impossible with the zen micro but what about the other players? Are there any digital-out adapters that can be use with the iPod??

Or should I get just keep my portable source and home source separate?

Edited by joi-ful