Sign in to follow this  
Nu_Omega

Interconnects

The most cost effective option there is to get a HD650 cable. Not sure where you can get that. Maybe you can just call or email sennheiser in Singapore and tell them your HD650 cable got chewed by your dog or something...

I've conducted this experiment and swapped the cables of HD600/650 but I couldn't find any significant improvement either way. This explains why Zu Mobius and Equinox cables remain sought after following the launch of HD650.

Edited by Mackie

' date='8 Sep 2006, 12:01 PM' post='77692']

Sorry to go off-topic but this is where I was not totally sold into buying the top range from Sennheiser.. I mean you need to buy aftermarket cables that are priced nearly the same as their original ones to make them sound better.. :doh: , aren't they supposed to achieve better sound when they designed it or launch the product?

So, one more thing, I've heard alot of people say that the aftermarket cables make a huge difference, but is it worth that amount of price you are paying? I think you can get almost another used Senn HD650 for that price right? Please enlighten me, thanks!

It all depends on you. If you can hear the improvements and feel the improvement is worth the money. YMMV.

Edited by lengcm

Found Wireworld Lunar 5 to be recommended in 2 UK mag reviews & cost 30 pounds. May try as this is about same price as a good DIY using LOK connectors.

It's true the abovementioned aftermarket cables do indeed make a drastic improvement to HD600/650 - I'm not talking about golden ears but a layman can easily tell the difference.

In doing so, the combined outlay becomes an issue as it pushes the Senn cans to a different price bracket, thus, facing competiion from higher end models from Grado, AKG, AT etc. But this might not be a concern to hardcore fans or those who have the dough. No matter which angle we see it, the value is in the eye of the beholder.

Edited by Mackie

Hi Mackie, going off track from this topic, found your legendery post on ha-1a,

if i should roll my tube 1st or change i/c 1st?

If I only change the 4003 mullard, is there sufficient impact from stock tubes?

Please pm me in future. A cable change is relatively subtle compared to tubes or equipment, it's akin to tweaking the sound (the former) and upgrading it (the latter). Hence, carry out the tube roll, live with it and then decide if you need to change the interconnects. Rule of thumb is you need to know which areas that need improving. If you don't, you would simply be hearing different sound and going in circles, which could be a rather expensive affair.

IMHO, yes, change the input tubes before considering the output. To me, the CV4003 is a worthwhile upgrade over the stock tube which is on the bright side.

Edited by Mackie

' date='8 Sep 2006, 01:00 AM' post='77645']

No I didnt told him that.. I think it was a typo error or I saw SLS as SLT in the PM.

Hmm, so only AVITLink carries the LOK RCA Connectors..

IPB Image

Silver plated locking type with 3 rings

Here you go!!

They sure look better than the Bullet Plugs :grin: but cheaper than the original WBT ones! ^_^

Wow! The silver one is a beauty!

I've conducted this experiment and swapped the cables of HD600/650 but I couldn't find any significant improvement either way. This explains why Zu Mobius and Equinox cables remain sought after following the launch of HD650.

Hi Mackie,

I tried the 600cable with senn600/senn650 and they sound indifferent. :no: I tried the 650cable with senn600/senn650 and the bass of senn600 is 'firmer'. :yes: But the Zu Mobius ups their sound quality. :D

YMMV.

' date='8 Sep 2006, 10:49 PM' post='77791']

Sorry if u misunderstood me, Mackie.

What I was trying to bring across was the idea that the flagship model, shouldn't have such a large gap (yes, the difference is large) with just a cable upgrade... makes you wonder right? Whether it really was a good model and such, for me my opinion is that that money is not well spent, I need to purchase something else to make it sound better..

So any 3rd party upgrades shouldn't have made such a straight-in-your-face difference, at least even for non headphiles... got my idea?

Cheers, happy listening!

Anyway what type of cables do you gurus recommend for ICs?

From cheap ones like Belden 89529 to moderate ones like Silver/copper hybrid to slightly more expensive ones..

Hi TopGun,

That's the sort of dilemma every headphiles will face,value-for-money or sonic enhancement. This came to me when I was purchasing the zu mobius at HK HIFI show in 2004. I never regret the purchase. B)

I was asking around for i/c in Adephi and noticed the markeup can be great.

For example, the van den hul 102 listed for 79 pounds in HifiChoice but Kingsley quoted S$300.

Id this common pricing practice or am i expected to bargain hard?

Edited by laukinkon

Hi Mackie,

I tried the 600cable with senn600/senn650 and they sound indifferent. :no: I tried the 650cable with senn600/senn650 and the bass of senn600 is 'firmer'. :yes: But the Zu Mobius ups their sound quality. :D

YMMV.

Firmer yes, but at the expense of a drop in transparency, which is the forte of the Senn HD600. Factoring it all, I wouldn't call it an improvement. YMMV of course, as personal preference always has the final judgement.

Edited by Mackie