Biogentic

Why my earphone always cannot last long?

Hi, i am very surprise that some of the members here can use the same earphone for so many yrs but yet mine spoilt every 5 or 6mths. I am not using thoes low quality in ear earphone, i am using avg in ear earphone like cresyn ep630, sony ex71 to name a few. but why mine spoilt so fast? is it becoz i always coil the earphone around my mp3 player thus causing the wire to lossen?

Lower-end Sonys (ie. below $200?) are nortorious for their build quality... In fact, some have joked that Sonys can self-destruct every 3 months... :P

It really depends though. It may be the earphones you use, not just how you treat them...

Lower-end Sonys (ie. below $200?) are nortorious for their build quality... In fact, some have joked that Sonys can self-destruct every 3 months... :P

It really depends though. It may be the earphones you use, not just how you treat them...

Hi, i am eyeing the Audio Technica CK7 @ $129 from http://bluetin.com, may i know if i am using Creative V200 will it be a bottleneck for my earphone? any other place selling cheaper than bluetin.com or even other better alternative.... i am eyeing ck7 becoz it got 1 yr warranty!

the cresyn e630 shld be able to last 1yr or so?

and yup ex71's build is quite bad, my ex51 wire gave way after 2-3mths.

have a budget of like $200 and lesser, den go around shops like Stereo Electronics and Jaben to try out the earphones. i believe all of them have like 1yr warrenty?

correct mi if im wrong.

The ck7 would be a great upgrade(cable lasts bout a year or more if u take great care). But if u want to save and spend abit more, the earphones mentioned above would be a better choice.

if u like rock and heavy bass, go for the sf3's.(indestructable cable, but very stiff. replacable too)

if u like instrumental, more balanced sound, go for the um1(but i find them a little muddy)(Very strong cable, and very flexible)

the shures are stuck in between.(i have no idea on the wire part, shures just never made me pay attention.)

but don't go for the cx300's unless u really like the sound, which is a little uncommon.(same as ck7 in terms of wire, should be a little thinner though)

lol, but as all the more experienced audiophile would say, let ur ears decide. :DD

Edited by That dude

Hi, i am very surprise that some of the members here can use the same earphone for so many yrs but yet mine spoilt every 5 or 6mths. I am not using thoes low quality in ear earphone, i am using avg in ear earphone like cresyn ep630, sony ex71 to name a few. but why mine spoilt so fast? is it becoz i always coil the earphone around my mp3 player thus causing the wire to lossen?

I think coiling of the earphone is not the main issue, as long you don't leave the jack in the player. Heavily twisting the cords during winding could pose possible damages to the wires inside.

Could you also elaborate on the 'spolit' problem? For eg : Which part of the cords lossen? If one side of the earpiece died? etc etc.. :))

Edited by zonalblitz_audio

my ex51 is "naked" lol the heatshrink peeled off but still working very fine :)

3yrs if im nt wrong

my ex51 the cable still look like new. at time must let ex51/71 cable moist a little. else it will start to feel sticky and peel... i think oil it with baby lotion may help alot...

There are many possible causes of spoilt earphones. It could be the way you store them, inside the bagload of books/laptop which might cause physical damage during movement. It could also be the tension of the coiling, which you should minimise by coiling loosely or not coiling at all (ps the sumanjin wraps are alittle too tight for safe coiling imho). The tensile strength of coils is low, so make sure your cables are not tugged or twisted unneccessary. I keep mine loosly "S-folded" (a term of simply dropping the wire in neat "S" formation without coils) into a dedicated padded DAP bag, away from whatever heavy stuff inside. My old earphones stayed alive 6 years of usage till mould got to it.

Edited by viix

I think coiling of the earphone is not the main issue, as long you don't leave the jack in the player. Heavily twisting the cords during winding could pose possible damages to the wires inside.

Could you also elaborate on the 'spolit' problem? For eg : Which part of the cords lossen? If one side of the earpiece died? etc etc.. :))

i assume it is the wire problem becoz when i try to fiddle the wire, there is an intermitten of sound out from the earphone. previously my problems are only one side of the earphone can listen to music. btw muz we take out the jack from the port when we coil the wire?

My EX70 is still in great condition despite heavy usage in the early days. Try not to stress the cable and joints and I think the key of its longetivity is how I stored it; always in its pouch coiled.

yup. depends on the headphones you use too. my ex51's wire rotted after 6 months. for my cresyn, it lasted ok, only now the paint on the headphones is kinda peeled. my shure e2c's wire also tore, but i sold it away cause luckily got warranty. so far, for my k81, it still seems ok, so i just hope it's durable. :)