Sign in to follow this  
ahdui

Silicon Gel

I believe Cold Storage sells them... Otherwise, most bigger supermarkets should stock up on them.

Daiso in IMM should also have them.

Of course though, Lipton Tea bags are the cheapest (and probably the best smelling) :P.

Lippon tea bags minus off the tea leaves should do the trick.

Why go through all the hassle? And what are you going to do with all the emptied tea leaves? :P

Like my suggestion in an earlier thread, just go to NTUC or Daiso and buy those empty muslin tea bags. They are used to stuff either tea leaves or herbs for boiling soup and stuff. It helps to make cleanup easier.

If you are an NS man, you can also stitch up one yourself. It's easy, just need some scrap cloth. Used to do that before I got the electronic drybox. Hey DIY spirit ok. (NS man cos only NS men got housewives what. :P )

btw- a fast way to remove moisture from silica gel, is to put them in a wide plate on top of a kitchen towel and micro-wave them. Please keep an eye on them, so the paper don't burn. After a few seconds, they will change colour from pink (moist) to blue (dry and activated). the paper is to absorb the expelled moisture. Otherwise they condense on the plate and the silica gel gets wet and defeat the purpose of the exercise.

Edited by heady

And what are you going to do with all the emptied tea leaves?

This reminds me of a mini-experiment I had. I tried cutting the teabags open to make tea with the leaves only (thinking naviely that it would taste better). There was no difference, but for the leaves floating about... :P

Color changes. If they turn from a purple (dry) to colorless or a light tinge of purple, then you know it's time to change them.

when they change colour just pop them in the microwave oven and they are reusable again...

when they change colour just pop them in the microwave oven and they are reusable again...

I would like to ask : Are the packets of silica gel (found in packed dry food) safe for reactivating by microwave oven?

Edited by zonalblitz_audio

I would like to ask : Are the packets of silica gel (found in packed dry food) safe for reactivating by microwave oven?

Can, if you collect enough of them. They are the same thing, except very little in each packet.

It really depends... Some silica gel do not change colour upon saturation, though most do...

If you are uncomfortable with playng with microwave ovens though, sunning may be the (albeit slower) way to go.