Sign in to follow this  
zhapchit

Microsoft Zune preview

It doesn't allows you to export the songs from your player to another computer, just like the iPod. :))

well, ipod can do it. i juz copy my frens ipod's collection to my com a few days ago..

I believe you used a 3rd party software, right?

Unless it is the shuffle you are talking about (it is UMS, right? Oops, again unsure).

EDIT: Oh, it's rockboxed, that explains it...

Edited by aaron-xp

Perhaps we should give Microsoft a break. They are just trying to cover their own backside, to prevent record labels from suing them for facilitating piracy, which was probably the same reason Windows Media Player was big on DRM in the first place. They don't benefit from this much either, if you realise.

I don't see such a huge backlash with Apple, although they don't even allow the transfer of music from the iPods to your computer at all, until the latest iTunes which only allow this with music purchased on their music store. If third party software (including rockbox) can allow iPod users to circumvent this limitation, I don't see why we can't do the same with the Zune.

There will eventually be a work around using some third party application. Microsoft should know that, perhaps they want it, so as to improve their player's popularity, and yet avoid legal repecussion by releasing their own firmware which would infringe IP. Rockboxed Zune, anyone?

On a side note though, I like Microsoft's design for the Zune, though the name is still rather lousy.

' date='17 Sep 2006, 09:09 PM' post='79044']

Anyway, just for a laugh..

ON how great our ancestors were, are and currently thriving at : The Chinese are really a bunch of clever people.. Reverse engineering in one day!

http://www.themp3players.com/archives/2006...une-got-cloned/

IPB Image

Ub3r 0wN@g3!!

That's incredible... The speed at which they do it is almost unheard of. :P

EDIT: Anyway, the MPF2110 did not "pwn" the Zune, it likes it... :P

Edited by aaron-xp

I believe you used a 3rd party software, right?

Unless it is the shuffle you are talking about (it is UMS, right? Oops, again unsure).

EDIT: Oh, it's rockboxed, that explains it...

no.. my friend do not know what rockbox is so it default ipod fw. i enable show all hidden files and folder in windows explorer. a folder call ipod_control will be shown. enter it and and there is another folder call songs. in songs folders, there is alot of folder name f00, f01, etc. it contains all the songs and videos in there. but it rename. id tag still remain unchange. copy all to my itune folder on my com and drag them in to itunes. itunes auto rename them. :rclxms::thumbup:

well... rockbox is not that easy to begin with. take a look and creative. they are popular too... but due to the chip inside, it hard to start rockbox coding. if microsoft decide to add security features to it, i think it might never get rockbox as it too tough to get even started...

Toshiba = Japanese Company = Zune manufacturer

As for

no.. my friend do not know what rockbox is so it default ipod fw. i enable show all hidden files and folder in windows explorer. a folder call ipod_control will be shown. enter it and and there is another folder call songs. in songs folders, there is alot of folder name f00, f01, etc. it contains all the songs and videos in there. but it rename. id tag still remain unchange. copy all to my itune folder on my com and drag them in to itunes. itunes auto rename them. rclxms.gif thumbup.gif

I doubt many "normal" people can figure that out... :P

Edited by aaron-xp

Toshiba = Japanese Company = Zune manufacturer

As for

I doubt many "normal" people can figure that out... :P

haha... people who study IT may know...

But with a huge market share, they can buy in bulk and save a lot. Besides, I believe that they will eventually raise the price, be it in the current generation, or the next (if the Zune idea survives).