Sign in to follow this  
nakedtoes

Any DAP which has a true line out?

Maybe the old Iriver H1XX. And best of all, it has a optical output. My H340 is definitely not a true line out.

Is it better ?

If there is any other DAPs which have a true line out, please let me know.

hmm i wont say iriver has the best lineout as their line out need volume control.

ill say go get ipod(i cant beleive i said this T_T) and get the line out,around 20+.

how do you know if it is a true line out or a faux one?

Hmm, stick your headphone in and see if you hear anything :P A true line output carries only voltage signals that are meant to be fed into an amp or preamp, it should not carry enough current to drive headphones.

The iPod does have one but only through the Dock Connector. You'll need a fullsize dock or a Pocketdock to use it.

Most DAP's, for want of a better word, implement some kind of "audio-out" rather than a true line-out signal from their line-out jacks. My iAudio X5L does not have a true line-out, despite what it says on the sub-pack or the dock. At least the Creative Vision:M uses the term "AV-out" rather than the ubiquitous "line-out" moniker on their dock and dongle.

If the Ipod does have a true line-out built into their hardware, I'll be impressed. :P

Hmm, stick your headphone in and see if you hear anything :P A true line output carries only voltage signals that are meant to be fed into an amp or preamp, it should not carry enough current to drive headphones.

Pardon me, that is to say volume control will not have any impact when u connect your headphone on this line output.

Or simply to say it had its own circuitry & not shared.....

Pardon me, that is to say volume control will not have any impact when u connect your headphone on this line output.

Or simply to say it had its own circuitry & not shared.....

This is from the stickied thread:

[Wikipedia]

On the other hand, the final power amplifier stage of a typical audio device often introduces distortion. But "line out" is derived from some point before that final amplification takes place. So "line out" signals tend to be of higher quality than those from a speaker (or headphone) connector.

"Line in" expects the kind of signal "line out" provides. So you can typically connect the "line out" connector of one device with the "line in" of another. However, if you do this with a straight cable, and both devices are AC powered, you may run into ground - loop - hum.

A typical "Line in" inputs is actually a high impedance input with an impedance of around 10,000 ohms. When a "Line out" signal output, with its impedance of around 100 ohms, is connected to a high impedance "Line in" input like this one, the result is that most of the voltage (over 99%) appears across the input resistance, and almost none of the voltage is dropped across the output impedance. This is the desired effect. Since the impedances are far from matched, very little power is transferred, but the goal is not power transfer, it is voltage transfer. These are voltage signals (as opposed to current signals*) and it is the signal information that is desired, not power to drive a transducer (e.g. speaker) or (transmitting) antenna.

[Cnet Audio Glossary]

An audio jack on a sound card or other media device that outputs line-level (0.5- to 2-volt) analog signals. Suitable for sending signals to stereos, tape decks, and so on. By contrast, a headphone output can produce signals 10 or more times that strength.

Err, I just plugged in my headphones directly to the pocket dock and into into my Ipod 5G and the volume I'm getting out of it is actually MORE than what I get out of builtin amp :s....This means what?

Err, I just plugged in my headphones directly to the pocket dock and into into my Ipod 5G and the volume I'm getting out of it is actually MORE than what I get out of builtin amp :s....This means what?

Same kind of behaviour on my Zen Vision:M, and the iAudio X5L, although the X5L's "line-out" is apparently affected by EQ and/or BBE settings :blink:

Sounds more like an "audio-out" rather than a "line-out" :P

Alsolutely nothing. When you plug in your earphone jack into line out socket you should hear somthing (usualy the volume will be lower then at you normal setting of your headphone out). If the EQ settings and volume control do no affect what you hear when your earphone is plugged into the line out then the chances are it's a true line out (ie doesnt go thru the final amplification and volume pot). Hope this helps.

If the EQ settings and volume control do no affect what you hear when your earphone is plugged into the line out then the chances are it's a true line out (ie doesnt go thru the final amplification and volume pot). Hope this helps.

U mean the EQ is useless on the DAP when using true line out ?

Then wat's the point of using true line out. No way that u can play around with the bass & treble to tweak the sound that suit you.

U mean the EQ is useless on the DAP when using true line out ?

Then wat's the point of using true line out. No way that u can play around with the bass & treble to tweak the sound that suit you.

thats is the purpose... we wanna bypass the sucky bass and treble processor inside.. B)