Sign in to follow this  
zhapchit

how do you store your CDs?

My rack which I estimated to hold about 175-180 CDs cost only $30< (might be abit more iirc) and is available at causeway point (there are only that many furniture shops there. Doesn't require wallmounting too.

Edited by Username

Ikea recently reduced the price of their 'basic' cd rack to $35 - unfortunately this caused a rush on them so they are temporarily out of stock of ALL of their cheap cd racks. they have a faux wood variant in the same style, but thats selling for $55 - not worth it for the cosmetics IMHO. they also have some fancy CD lockers and cabinets, but those start at $250+ ...

having said that, does anyone have any recommendations for CD racks ? my existing one is already quite full and I need some supplemental so I can unpack the 900+ that I just got shipped back to me ... preferably ones that i don't have to mount to walls ...

The cd racks in picture are from Ikea. They also come with optional dividers for cd storage. These racks gave the best value for money in terms of storage space and price. I can't recall the model name but these are located at the entry of cabinet section in Ikea store. FYI, the 2 racks are holding more than 2K cds out of my >3K collection.

Edited by Mackie

really ? i was just at the store today picking up another lot of bookshelves, and I didn't see them ... maybe they look different without the optional dividers - or they no longer make that model :(

if you can check the model name, I'd really appreciate it ! got a TON of ikea points to blow now ;)

hah, those are the exact same bookshelves i just got :)

no mention of any cd dividers on the sg site though -maybe i can order from aus if they're not too heavy ...

hah, those are the exact same bookshelves i just got :)

no mention of any cd dividers on the sg site though -maybe i can order from aus if they're not too heavy ...

I think I seen them at the store before. Keep a look out for them next time or ask about it. I was considering this before but I think the CD divider is just a platform/box to create another level and shorten the depth of the shelf to fit CDs. So I think its a waste of space to have that empty platform there.

I now use 2 X http://cebas.ikea.com.au/prod_template4.as...1006&Cat=&Scat= but I need at least 2 more to store all my CDs. :blush:

You can choose to retain or shorten the depth. The upper 4 levels retain the original depth while those below were shortened with the included spacers. This is to facilitate storing newly bought cds at the base of each original shelf (see the cds on level 4?) for faster search as they could get lost amongst my collection.

The Billy bookcase has 6 shelves and each shelf is further divided into equivalent pigeon holes by inserting an optional cascaded divider. As a result, a 6-shelf bookcase becomes a 12-shelf cd storage furniture. I've magnified the earlier picture for better understanding.

post-103-1159504560_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mackie

Don't mean to thread jack, is there any solution in the form of a storage box that can store CDs since my CD rack is going to be full quite soon and getting another CD rack may not fit well in my room.

Haha.. let me share with you what I learnt from an event supervisior.

He kept the massive collection of CDs and put them into the individual CD pockets.

He places all these pockets into the aluminium case. He made 3 columns of partitions to organise the space properly.

Finally, he alphabatically tabbed the CDs like you see in the CD shops. :))

Guest joi-ful

^I used to store my cd in this manner.... until one fine day, I found out that the cd sleeves actually cause scratches on my cd!! Wah, heart pain sia. My fav cds were inside as well.

Since then I chose to keep them in their original casing liao..

Haha.. I think you did not get the scratches from the soft CD sleeves but from the CD player. Alternatively, you may use the aluminium case and transfer the CDs into the compact CD case. It will work the same.

Guest joi-ful

Dunno leh, when the cds may be scratched as I remove them from the slots. They're rough! Maybe my cd holder is those cheapo type... forgot how much I paid for it liao..

It's interesting how forumers are keeping their CDs. I find that no matter how I keep them, some CDs will get fungus growing on them and even the paper covers. Can't afford to get a dry cabinet big enough for my 20+years of collecting CDs. A few of my CDs are not listenable now, even though they look ok.