Sign in to follow this  
Guest fantasyrulz

dilemma which to buy.. IEM or can...

Guest fantasyrulz

only got $230 to spare for either a decent pair of IEM or headphone.

portable player = PSP and a IPOD nano 1GB...

if i was to buy a decent pair of IEM for my psp... is it wise ? IEMs like UM1 will it work well with a PSP ?

on the other hand.. i just bought a X-Fi XtremeMusic for my com and looking for a decent headphone.

donno which 1 is more worth it... a IEM for my psp or headphone for my computer.

"and yea its my first post.. WEEEE !!"

Edited by fantasyrulz

welcome welcome...

this like iz a black hole to all wallets... lol~

anyw...

i own a psp too...

i feel that psp is too bad a source to be used with an IEM...

kinda wasted in a sense... so i would recommend you to do for a headphone for your com since u have a good audiocard... :grin:

Edited by metrablue

frankly, a good iem won't sound far away from a good pair of headphones. I find headphones far more comfortable though, which is why i reach for mine when i'm at home more often.

start slowly. get one first. either one will be fine. and then later try getting a better source, and then a good amp, then get another headphone/iem, and the cycle continues until you have too many sources/amps/headphones. :rclxub:

look at the sf3, um1, and the d-jays.

the ck7 is a little cheaper, and the er6/i is around ur max budget. try them all out. and i heard psp is a terrible source.

for cans u will have limited selection. Ms1, DTX 700/900, and dj81.

let ur ears decide.

PSPs are terrible sources for music listening, but you may be mislead into thinking how great they sound on first attemp. I heard my first PSP in the army watching an MTV and thought they were great (because I was bored dead spotting enemy in a trench during an exercise)

They have this great "3D" reverberation effect on the music that sounded compressed and unnatural when I began listening to it critically, but for movies and games, they are great!

$230 is a little too much to spend on an IEM for PSP usage. Any good and decently cheap canel phone will suffice, and you might be better of with a Can for your computer. But you should know better. Decide based on your usage.

Edited by viix

PSPs are terrible sources for music listening, but you may be mislead into thinking how great they sound on first attemp. I heard my first PSP in the army watching an MTV and thought they were great (because I was bored dead spotting enemy in a trench during an exercise)

They have this great "3D" reverberation effect on the music that sounded compressed and unnatural when I began listening to it critically, but for movies and games, they are great!

$230 is a little too much to spend on an IEM for PSP usage. Any good and decently cheap canel phone will suffice, and you might be better of with a Can for your computer. But you should know better. Decide based on your usage.

he still has a nano...

Dude, use the nano...

Guest joi-ful

Hey, at $230, you can get a grado SR60 and a AT CK7!! Cool yea?

They're pretty neat stuff.

Buy a UM1 for iem and look for sub $100 cans. There are Senn PX100/200, Koss SportaPro but I personally prefer Beyer DT231 and Philips HP890. The Philips offers the best value for money and some places offer lower prices than major retail outlets. Please search this forum for the related thread as I remembered it's been discussed before. However, if you can squeeze in a SR60, you wouldn't regret it. Since SE sells both Grado and Westone, give them an audition if you like it, perhaps Aron can work out a package price for your consideration.

Edited by Mackie

Speaking of Phillips cans, I vaguely remember a HP1000 which is said to be in the SGD200 range and has generate lots of interest in headfi (though it isn't readily available there).

Guest fantasyrulz

Buy a UM1 for iem and look for sub $100 cans. There are Senn PX100/200, Koss SportaPro but I personally prefer Beyer DT231 and Philips HP890. The Philips offers the best value for money and some places offer lower prices than major retail outlets. Please search this forum for the related thread as I remembered it's been discussed before. However, if you can squeeze in a SR60, you wouldn't regret it. Since SE sells both Grado and Westone, give them an audition if you like it, perhaps Aron can work out a package price for your consideration.

thx for the tips ! hmm.. a iem and a can together not bad.. but will a sub $100 can sound bad ?

wa very helpful forum :)) thanx alot for the opinion :D

u see... i dont quite understand how a ipod works "putting songs into ipod" i need to convert into another format just to fit the ipod by then the quality will drop..

when i try my nano and psp i find that my psp sounds better ?? lol :helpsmilie: funny

oh.. SR60 sounds good..

hehe maybe i will try to squuze in that.

Edited by fantasyrulz

iPod reads most of the widely used formats out there actually, MP3, AAC, Apple Lossless, AIFF and WAV. Just load them into iTunes and choose auto sync, everything should be done for you.

:)

Guest fantasyrulz

iPod reads most of the widely used formats out there actually, MP3, AAC, Apple Lossless, AIFF and WAV. Just load them into iTunes and choose auto sync, everything should be done for you.

:)

thx alot i will try it out.

when i try my nano and psp i find that my psp sounds better ?? lol :helpsmilie: funny

:blink:

erm... watz e bitrate u encode ur music??

nano shld sound better than psp... but diff ears hear diff... soya...

y not bring down both ur nano n ipod to audition the IEM..

oh ya... im not an ipod user.. but im sure there shldnt be a need to encode it twice... unless u encode it into lossless/ogg etc in the 1st place...

thx for the tips ! hmm.. a iem and a can together not bad.. but will a sub $100 can sound bad ?

Well....even a $500 can could sound bad if not partnered with the right components. U can't quantify sound quality with price. Keep an open mind and try the various cans for yourself. It's much easier to make a decision when your mind remains unbiased.