Sign in to follow this  
N@Z

Charlie Brown Peppermints

yeah.. I am afraid I have to really cut down on my hourse in SGH.

Prelim exam in about 3 more weeks no.gifno.gif ..sigh

So stressful now ..

the tin N@Z! the charlie brown TIN!

the THREAD! tongue.gif

Exactly & the rusting & watnot?! That came out of the blue.

from my experience, these tins are simply sheet iron coated with a thin layer of zinc/tin that prevents rusting.

once you scratch the protective metal layer off, you expose the iron to moisture and oxygen. it then rusts.

however, the rust CAN AND WILL spread UNDER the rest of the protective metal coating, causing it to flak and fall off just like it does in cars.

fear.gif

adhoc,

What about Hammond aluminium casing, would it be subject to similar rusting problem over long term ? wink.gif

OK adhoc, if I see that happen you'll be the first to know! happy.gif

aluminium does not rust, well, not 'rust' in the typical way we know it. iron does not react with water alone, nor oxygen alone. it reacts with both to form rust. for most applications, aluminium only reacts with oxygen. all aluminium objects have a layer of this oxide on it.

but most aluminium objects we own are typically 'anodised' (remember your maglite torches?). this means that an electrolytic process is applied whereby the aluminium object is blasted with hot oxygen. this forms an extremely tough layer of aluminium oxide (over the comparatively soft aluminium metal) that is tough enough to withstand corrosion in most cases. the difference between anodising and letting a piece of aluminium react normally with the air is the thickness of the oxide layer. for anodising, it is much much much thicker.

cubic zirconia, a form of aluminium oxide, is a material commonly used as faux-diamonds. IIRC, it not only approaches diamond in terms of hardness but also in terms of brilliance.

your hammond case CAN be scratched, but that's about the worst that can happen. it will not continue to rust and eventually break apart into a powder like it would if it were made of iron and had it's protective covering scratched.

Edited by adhoc

Wow! You're like an encyclopedia man!

i read up about all these things instead of revising my schoolwork.. hence my amazing results in school.

go figure.. happy.gif

Edited by adhoc

Sounds familiar! Imagine if we could all channel that energy into studies or work!

i read up about all these things instead of revising my schoolwork.. hence my amazing results in school.

go figure.. happy.gif

wow hoc how many A1s did you score for ur Os man blink.gif

amazing!!! If I can borrow ur 'power' I think I become top student in my sch liao lol.gif