Sign in to follow this  
jealousy never dies

Koss or Sony

Hi, absolute noob here. Juz wanna hear you guys' opinion on which phones to choose. I dun think I can afford anything >$100, so feel free to make any recommendations within that price range.

Currently I am looking at the following:

Koss ksc-35/55 (what's the diff.?)

Koss porta pro

Sony mrd-ex51/71

Any comments, as well as where I can buy it and for how much will be greatly appreciated. I prefer something comfortable, convenient and portable, though uncompromising in sound quality of course. Thanks in advance!

i've never heard either, but from literally everyone's feedback the one you want to go with is the ksc35. it's a clip on headphone. you cannot get in singapore. you can find it at www.koss.com.

the porta pro (and it's brother, the sporta pro) are the around-the-back-of-the-neck versions of the ksc-35 IIRC. ala the sony streetstyle series. you can get the porta pro at hung bros at SLS. price i cant remember.

the mdr-71 can be found for ~$70 in many places in SLS. it is an in-ear-canal type earphone. while this provides isolation it initially will be uncomfortable. IMO the 71 has boomy bass and screechy highs and a recessed mid. i have no experience with the mdr-ex51, but since it is the younger bro of the mdr-71 i would expect it to show the same sonic traits.

could you please tell us what sort of music you listen to usually? it would help greatly.

Edited by adhoc

Prices of the headphones/earbuds as per the Local headphones prices thread:

Koss KSC 55 - $45 / SLS Hung Bros

Koss Porta Pro - $85 / SLS Hung Bros

Sony EX51SP - $59 / SLS V8

Sony EX71SL - $74 / SLS V8

Other options:

Philips HP-890 - $88 / SLS Hung Bros or Aural focus (PM member El Scorcho)

Sennheiser PX100 - $79.90 / SLS Hung Bros

See the aforementioned thread for more pricing choices (1st post).

Thanks for the replies!

I usually listen to pop, like R&B, hip-hop, jazz, some rock and metal stuff. I would be using the phones with my portable mp3-player as well as my cd-player at home.

Design/style (ear/head or around the neck,etc.) is not so much of a concern as long as the phones sounds great and is comfortable.

So can anyone make a specific recommendation, with comments on sound quality and comfortability? Which one would be most suitable for my needs? I hope to get a comparison from u experts so I can make a choice. Thanks!

Perhaps you guys can rank the earphones mentioned above. My choice currently:

1. Koss KSC 35

2. Koss Porta Pro

3. Sony MRD-EX51

4. Sennheiser MX500

I am not too sure about the difference between KSC 35 and KSC 55 but I have only seen KSC 35 being mentioned on other forums, not so much of KSC 55, so can anyone describe their difference? And are there any other viable alternatives?

Thanks in advance.

i would like to point out to you too that based on your musical taste you might want to consider:

1. sennheiser px100 - $70, hung bros

2. sennheiser px200 - $90, hung bros

the px100 is open and will therefore leak sound, but it has bass that is deep and powerful and clear.

the px200 has slightly muddied sound; it's bass does not go as deep as the px100 IMO but it, unlike the px100, has serious IMPACT. and due to it's closed design it does not leak sound and provides reasonable isolation.

both have strong mids (a sennheiser house sound IMO) and NON-sibilant highs. they both also come with a useful portable carrying case. they also look good.

i am simply pointing this out as

a. they have a 2 yr warranty, unlike the others on your list.

b. they are within your budget; if you have $100 to spend IMO you are cheating yourself if you get a mx500 at $35

c. as for the the ksc 35, aside from the hassle involved by needing to ship from the states, i have heard that unlike the sony streetstyles, they are uncomfortable to wear for long period. the ksc35s are also open and hence leak sound.

Edited by adhoc

I strongly suggest getting the Sony D66 eggos, that shop in lucky plaza should have new stocks now at 90+ bucks (My fren did an enquiry when he tried to get me the eggos 2 weeks back).

hammer.gif (but a stupid fugger like me couldnt wait, as impatient as usual, got mine from bluetin)

go get koss ksc-55.

For 45 dollars, it's simply unmatched in both performance and value.

The sennheiser px200 is also very good. But it costs more.And from the last sgh meet, I recall they are a little dark sounding.

Hence I tend to prefer the koss. Ksc-55 that is. Ksc-35 is too hard to get and not worth to order from overseas.

they are dark, and impactful. but then again they would match the genres of music he listens to right? laugh.gif

go get koss ksc-55.

For 45 dollars, it's simply unmatched in both performance and value.

The sennheiser px200 is also very good. But it costs more.And from the last sgh meet, I recall they are a little dark sounding.

Hence I tend to prefer the koss. Ksc-55 that is. Ksc-35 is too hard to get and not worth to order from overseas.

Hey Blues, I notice you have the KSC-35 in your signature. Do u have 'em?

Anyway thanks for all your replies. I guess I would be going with either the Koss KSC-55 or Sennheiser PX200, but I am still open to suggestions.

Btw, is the ksc-55 closed, does it leak sound? I think the ksc-55 would be great for its price, but is it comfortable and portable? I dun mind paying more, but there has to be a reasonable upgrade in sound quality and other properties. And I actually prefer clear sound, though being impactful is great too. Arrhhh... cool.gif What a difficult choice.

My criteria (1:most important, 6:relatively least important, but still important):

1. Sound quality (esp. bass and clarity) headphone.gif

2. Price

3. Comfort

4. Portablility kicking.gif

5. Design

6. Warranty

Overall which seems a better deal?

yeah have them right now. Wanna offer to take if off my hands? biggrin.gif I might consider because I am planning to get something else.

Koss ksc-55 is abit tight when you first purchase them. Ask sipher, he owns one happy.gif

But I think overtime you will get used to the comfort. Especially koss.

Koss is clear as ring and the bass is very very good. Hearing is believing. I couldn't understand what was the hype about these koss until I got my hands on them.

Upon hearing them, I wept.. I couldn't believe there was such a headphone at that range. I immediately sold the mx500.

Hey Blues u didn't my question regarding the KSC-55. Is it closed? Neway I dun mind buying the ksc-35 from you if it is still in perfect condition and it's cheap (maybe $15...) biggrin.gif .

Would love to hear more opinions from the others before making a decision.

Cheers!

if i were you i would go for the ksc35 if i wanted to go koss. maybe you could have a small listen to guy's - wait i meant blues - set, or my px200 sometime next weekend.

no.. ksc55 is as open as 35. But they are not that 'open' lah..

doesn't leak like hell.. leaks a little only. That if you don't blast your headphone loud.

Jealousy I will not let it go for less than 50 dollar because it comes with extra foam pads (mine is the modded koss.. sounds better) and the 'leather' bag . ehehe.. plus the 'rarity' of it lol.gif

that's the problem with open headphones, you simply cant use them in libraries!

even if they leak only a bit, in the silence of a library - gosh man, you should have seen the faces of the people at library@esplanade.

also, they dont isolate well. mrts are generally ok for open headphones, but non-aircon buses.. yucky.gif

Edited by adhoc