Sign in to follow this  
Sipher

good regulated power supply

i'm not totally sure, but i doubt car amps can provide enough power for most home hifi speakers.

any battery will outperform any SS/tubed power supply design. smile.gif

Not quite true though. A good design like the Gilmore (and possibly modified) would be at least as good as batteries while not having dips in voltage output.

any battery will outperform any SS/tubed power supply design. smile.gif

Not quite true though. A good design like the Gilmore (and possibly modified) would be at least as good as batteries while not having dips in voltage output.

Without actually building one and measure for ripples with a high speed oscillacope, there's no way to verified if Gilmour's supply is as good as a battery.

A PS from the start already has quite a few disadvantages. Transformer hum, high EMI from AC lines, switching noise from diodes, even the best voltage regulators also has some percentage in regulation, and not really flat DC. All those filtering caps, opamps for tracking, snubber caps, bypass caps only serve to minimise the problem as much as possible, but not able to eliminate. In the end when you spend so much on these fixes here and there, the PS will be so much more expensive then a simple SLA setup.

Without actually building one and measure for ripples with a high speed oscillacope, there's no way to verified if Gilmour's supply is as good as a battery.

Gilmore did actually test his power supply with oscillascopes (his 'workshop' is literally a lab.. LoL).

Gilmore did actually test his power supply with oscillascopes (his 'workshop' is literally a lab.. LoL).

I'm sure the Gilmore's PS is very good. But the cost might (using good caps) might outweight the cost of a simple SLA.

I'm sure the Gilmore's PS is very good. But the cost might (using good caps) might outweight the cost of a simple SLA.

Yeah.. But the Gilmore is gonna need good, clean power that don't drop in voltage. Guess SLA's can't provide that in the long term. For other amps like META's, (CH)A47's & Grado's, I guess SLA's are the way to go.

The Gilmore uses discrete, any noise at the power supply will be amplify to the headphone. If it uses opamp, the opamp will reject most noise found in the supply voltage.