Sign in to follow this  
Sipher

good regulated power supply

adhoc, thanks for the explanation. happy.gif

i guess there's no way to tell if a power supply is a linear regulated or not by looking at it externally right?

You can buy those Fluke meter that with graph disply, ask them to power up and you measure...

One cost about a thousand sing... rolleyes.gif

Here's a simple way, bting a multi-meter along. Measure at no-load voltage, it will be let's say 24.5V. Connect to a load, it should now read 24.4V. This means it is most likely well regulated.

To do more extensive test, connect to full load current. It must not fall below 24V.

Nope. You have to open up and see, or feel the weight. A conventional wire transformer will be more heavy than swithing circuit (uses transistor).

Some sealed lead acid required open air during charging. I had gone through some spec on it.

If it is for all, i don't know...

The ones my friend and I using are completely sealed, i.e. no spillage and outgassing. Downside as menitoned earlier is it doesn't last as long as the opened type.

If you're worried, then get branded one like Yuasa. http://www.thebatterybarn.com/Batteries/Yu...uasa/Yuasa.html

Edited by jtfoo

can UPS(uninterrupted power supply), used for computers, be classified as a linear regulated power supply?

can UPS(uninterrupted power supply), used for computers, be classified as a linear regulated power supply?

Not nearly but quite close....(email me if you think different) rolleyes.gif

Charging lead acid must be in open area where a lot of wind.

ooh... u mean there will be a smell when charging??

It's not very pungent but there's a distinct odour.

I guess you already know that UPS' output is 120/240VAC. right?

oh yeah! didnt think of that blush.gif

if use UPS, in the end still need a wall-wart hammer.gif

N@Z, that pungent odour which smells weirdly but not exactly chloriney is the smell of ozone. it's poisonous btw. lol.gif

IMO, unless its's specifically mentioned, i would assume that a ps would be switching. linear models are usually (outstandingly) expensive IIRC.

Some guys at head-fi don't like UPS as they claim the switching noise caused by electronic is audible.

Anyone know more about this?

My MG Head, ethernet, WAP & Wallwart are plugged via my PC's UPS if there is any switching noise I haven't heard it or found it annoying. FWIW, my UPS is the old Best Power Patriot Pro 400.