theobservatory.

Anyone builds DIY amps and DACs to order?

Hi guys! I'm pretty interested in going DIY, but my lack of know-how and inherent ignorance of electronics - only know how to buy them = ) - has led me to seek some builders. I'd like to get a feel of how much you guys charge for building an amp and DAC. Looking at the Alien DAC and PINT as one of the options. How much does it cost to build these two units?

PINT boards aren't available from tangentsoft anymore
use cmoy2

I might have a DAC that you are interested in, based on PCM2702E. btw, how much is the cost to build an Alien DAC?

wow that's pretty reasonable considering commercial options. what about the cost of building an amp like the PINT, or since the boards aren't available anymore say a PIMETA? I'm looking for a good DIY home amp. A transportable one is a plus.

DIYer must have at least some basic in electronics... :sweat:

:)) he said he wants it built by someone. So don't worry.

That cost is for components alone. Throw in workmanship and it'll probably be 100 odd.

BTW, Alien DAC requires an external amplifier unless you decide to control the volume via the mixer in the computer. (I think it should allow that in the driver)

I'll be getting 3 Alien DAC boards and see what to do from there. Tried some simple surface mount stuffs before but never this many components. Hopefully it'll be ok. Gonna be tedious.

That cost is for components alone. Throw in workmanship and it'll probably be 100 odd.

ooh.. that means workmanship cost 20 odd only?? :thumbup: cool.. can make one for me??

100odd seems pretty reasonable for a DAC. Then how much would a PIMETA cost in total inclusive of parts, case and labour? And is there anyone in these forums that I can look for to help me build both?

BTW, Alien DAC requires an external amplifier unless you decide to control the volume via the mixer in the computer. (I think it should allow that in the driver)

I'll be getting 3 Alien DAC boards and see what to do from there. Tried some simple surface mount stuffs before but never this many components. Hopefully it'll be ok. Gonna be tedious.

Just completed an AlienDAC, thanks to squalle for helping me source the pcb and parts. You are great, squalle.

You can control the volume using the speaker icon in the status bar. The sound is great. I even like it better than my MP3 player.

The Pimeta will cost at least another $100, mostly for the op-amps and buffers.

Edited by heady

How much did you pay for parts? I need to source parts for 3 sets. Any spares esp for those that require less than a set of 10 (Is that how they sell it at Farnell or RS?)

Sorry lah, pegasus21. Got my AlienDAC from a private MO and it came with almost all the parts. I don't even think all the parts are available from Farnell. I saw some parts with Digikey logo, so must been have ordered from Digikey. Certainly, while researching for HPDAC parts to evaluate purchase, I noticed some parts are not available from Farnell.