Sign in to follow this  
jlingo

Supermacro IV small impression!

Burning in my Supermacro MAX-OUT OPA627, High-C buffer now 200 hours.

GOD I have to come back, again!! Supermacro IV becomes a totally different beast!!! BIG SOUNDSTAGE!! it's very very close to SR-71 in terms of soundstage but with much better resolution much more involving! The first time I received my supermacro I thought, hmmm, it's a different synergy, with SR-71 being very airy and airy. But WOAH! supermacro IV has completely converted now, very very open and airy! I can't believe it.

So now after 200hrs Supermacro has the soundstage very very close to SR-71 with the resolution and depth beyond SR-71, you feel like moving your head and body, you are part of the music. SR-71 sounds as if you are listening to the music from a distance, less involving. It's like SR-71 is trying to put you in a more relaxing sleepy mood, and Supermacro IV is more like SR-71 on Red Bull Caffeine drink! I think because Supermacro IV has AMAZING TEXTURE TO IT!

I have to really concentrate now to notice the difference in soundstage/air between Supermacro IV and SR-71. I mean it's really that close now with Beyer DT770 and HD650. But I can still notice a wider soundstage and sweeter sound with Sensaphonics 2X-S.

Supermacro IV has a much better bass extension than SR-71, very tight, solid, deep, and defined. The bass in SR-71 is kinda loose, relaxed and blurry in comparison. Supermacro IV is more on the warm side. SR-71 is more on the sweet side(good for sweet dreams!).

So it's no longer about the synergy, instead it's about the mood. you want to be part of the music? or you are about to go to bed listening to your headphones :)

Edited by jlingo

Interesting impression lol. Was looking forward to a supermacro impression for sometime. BTW how much did it cost you in SGD?

Hmmm I paid USD$450.- + Shipping. not sure I guess I have to convert it to SGD currencies since you can only order this thing from US in USD Dollars.

Wow.. nice! When did you order and receive it? I heard quite a lot of backorders piled up..

I ordered on Aug 17th, 2006 and received it on November 17th, 2006. :) But worth the wait though! I'm glad.

Burning in my Supermacro MAX-OUT OPA627, High-C buffer now 200 hours.

GOD I have to come back, again!! Supermacro IV becomes a totally different beast!!! BIG SOUNDSTAGE!! it's very very close to SR-71 in terms of soundstage but with much better resolution much more involving! The first time I received my supermacro I thought, hmmm, it's a different synergy, with SR-71 being very airy and airy. But WOAH! supermacro IV has completely converted now, very very open and airy! I can't believe it.

So now after 200hrs Supermacro has the soundstage very very close to SR-71 with the resolution and depth beyond SR-71, you feel like moving your head and body, you are part of the music. SR-71 sounds as if you are listening to the music from a distance, less involving. It's like SR-71 is trying to put you in a more relaxing sleepy mood, and Supermacro IV is more like SR-71 on Red Bull Caffeine drink! I think because Supermacro IV has AMAZING TEXTURE TO IT!

I have to really concentrate now to notice the difference in soundstage/air between Supermacro IV and SR-71. I mean it's really that close now.

Supermacro IV has a much better bass extension than SR-71, very tight, solid, deep, and defined. The bass in SR-71 is kinda loose, relaxed and blurry in comparison. Supermacro IV is more on the warm side. SR-71 is more on the sweet side(good for sweet dreams!).

So it's no longer about the synergy, instead it's about the mood. you want to be part of the music? or you are about to go to bed listening to your headphones :)

woot, bro. Have to agree that the smV IV has a big soundstage but i still find the bass not tight enuff. I had to change from the opa627 to AD744 to compensate to my taste.lol But how long did u take for the bass to tightened up, cause mine had less than 50 hours through it. One more thing, i think the new amp has a more laid back feel compared to the SMVIII

woot, bro. Have to agree that the smV IV has a big soundstage but i still find the bass not tight enuff. I had to change from the opa627 to AD744 to compensate to my taste.lol But how long did u take for the bass to tightened up, cause mine had less than 50 hours through it. One more thing, i think the new amp has a more laid back feel compared to the SMVIII

Well, you need at least 200hours to actually hear a big difference to it. Do you have the same version as mine, maxout with highC Buffer? 50 hours is not even even. I was not even impressed with 100hrs on it. The soundstage is much much bigger at 200hrs. I wouldn't be surprised if it improves further with longer burn-in since even hornet requires 400hours to settle. I will burn in a little while longer to hear the difference.

The bigger the soundstage the more laid back the sound is. But then you can try AD797, it's very powerful, the sound will be a lot more forward and involving. Not as laid back.

Edited by jlingo

Wah.. Ryoko Hirosue fan huh? I like her too!

Hmm.. even if I order now I think I gonna get it only after CNY...

Wah.. Ryoko Hirosue fan huh? I like her too!

Hmm.. even if I order now I think I gonna get it only after CNY...

Nah, not necessarily. The shipping date should be a lot faster this time since Xin is already in production mode now. Before he was trying to figure out the problems with Supermacro IV, that's why he had to stop shipments and causing a lot of delays.

Still waiting for my Super Macro 4 order on 11 Sep.

Just like to know can those op-amps use on SM4 be purchase in Singapore ?

Thanks.

Edited by Jeremy

Still waiting for my Super Macro 4 order on 11 Sep.

Just like to know can those op-amps use on SM4 be purchase in Singapore ?

Thanks.

I got a couple of them through RS. Some like the AD8610 might be more difficult cause they need to use brown dogs adaptors. Others will have to order online liao.

I was a huge ryoko fan(hence RKO) since her first pictorial album(RR & RH) Not exactly beautiful, but charming.

Not much news of her ever since her baby boy was born.

i dint max out the amp, wanted to but i short ordered 3 stackable buffers. So now my current configuration is like 3 buf 634 in hi-c. 2134 for3/4 and opa 604CA. And yeah, gonna let it run for a couple of hundred more hours. The SMVIII took about 400hrs too before it started to shine.

i dint max out the amp, wanted to but i short ordered 3 stackable buffers. So now my current configuration is like 3 buf 634 in hi-c. 2134 for3/4 and opa 604CA. And yeah, gonna let it run for a couple of hundred more hours. The SMVIII took about 400hrs too before it started to shine.

My supermacro III took 200hours to shine. But I will allow my SM IV to burn-in up to 400hours.

It's also getting harder and harder to distinguish the soundstage difference between SR-71 and Supermacro IV with Sensaphonics 2X-S.

Edited by jlingo

By the way,

I just tried AD797 today and the bass is much stronger and tighter than OPA627. Please try this opamps.